Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing end of line characters Post 302898441 by Schubi on Tuesday 22nd of April 2014 08:31:11 AM
Old 04-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbeh
Try this and make sure you have a backup of all your files
Thanks for your quick reply. Backups are in place. When I run the command I get:
Code:
sed: -e: No such file or directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but last Hex characters in a text line

I must remove hex characters 0A and 0D from several fields within an MS Access Table. Since I don't think it can be done in Access, I am trying here. I am exporting a Table from Access (must be fixed length fields, I think, for my idea to work here) into a text format. I then want to run a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAH
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing characters in file with line break

Hi, Apologies if this has been asked before, but I searched and was not able to find an answer. It's probably a simple question to answer for those of you with some experience, though... I have a relatively long string where tokens are separated by the colon (':') character. Let's say the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnemb
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing certain characters with new line?

i have a text file which domains something like this 123213213213/32434342 324324324/12312321321 12321321,435435435 12321312 / 12313213 / 12435435345 4353213 , 123213213213 21321321312-12334324 234324324 - 235645645645 456456456 - 45456456456 - 45645645654243 how can i replace '/' and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashar
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing end of line with " in a UNIX file

How should I replace End of line Character by ". i.e in a file - Name1,NO1 Name2,No2 Name3,No3 .... Should look like -- Name1,NO1" Name2,No2" Name3,No3" .... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting control characters at the end of each line

How to add control characters at the end of each line in a file? Can anyone help me with this? Thanks, Shobana (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shobana_s
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append characters to end of line

Coding in unix shell script. Hi All, Please help Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam12345
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding characters end of line where line begins with..

Hi all, using VI, can anyone tell me how to add some characters onto the end of a line where the line begins with certain charactars eg a,b,c,......., r,s,t,........, a,b,c,......., all lines in the above example starting with a,b,c, I want to add an x at the end of the line so the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify beginning-of-line/end-of-line characters inside a regex range

How can I specify special meaning characters like ^ or $ inside a regex range. e.g Suppose I want to search for a string that either starts with '|' character or begins with start-of-line character. I tried the following but it does not work: sed 's/\(\)/<do something here>/g' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Removing all characters from token to end of line

Hello. The token is any printable characters between 2 " . The token is unknown, but we know that it is between 2 " Tok 1 : "1234x567" Tok 2 : "A3b6+None" Tok 3 : "A3b6!1234=@" The ligne is : Line 1 : "9876xABCDE"Do you have any code fragments or data samples in your post Line 2 : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)