Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files Post 302898421 by apocolapse on Tuesday 22nd of April 2014 05:47:02 AM
Old 04-22-2014
Question Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting..

What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y.

If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there.
If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in Y.

I have done some reading on the forums and it seems rsync could be helpful, but the most important factor in this exercise is to only keep the most recently modified file, which I am not sure rsync does...

Do any of you have any recommendations? Thanks for the help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy files from local drive to telnet unix machine.

i want to run some solaris executable program (text file). i telnet to solaris machine. the text file is on the net drive h: or my local drive on windows system. how can i copy the text file from local drive in windows to remote machine in solaris system? thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do copy certain files and directories from one hard drive to another?

I have two drives (scsi) mounted on one server and I need to copy certain files and directories from one drive to the other. Any suggestions :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod command for recently modified files

hello! is there a way for me to use the chmod command to change permissions for several files all at once -based on the fact that these files were all most recently modified TODAY ? I can't use a wildcard on their filenames because the filenames are varied. But I was hoping I could somehow do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polka_friend
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to Copy Files Changed Recently

I have been toying around with a script that will copy all files altered in a development directory over to a testing directory and have been trying to construct the command to meet my needs. Basically I am using find in a directory to see what files have changed over the past 24 hours. Then if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotbuff
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command for recently modified files - "find" command not working

I have three files a.txt , b.txt , c.txt in a directory called my_dir1 .These files were created before two or three months . I have a tar file called my_tar1.tar which contains three files a.txt , b.txt , d.txt . Somebody untarred the my_tar1.tar into my_dir1 directory. So existing two files were... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe.mani
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using RCP to copy and delete the files from Windows Drive

Hi, I have a requirement to copy the files from C drive on Windows to UNIX, once the files are copied I need to delete them from that drive (C:). A drive is also on same network as my unix, so I was asked to use RCP for copying the files. Can any one have the syntax to copy the files from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raamc
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtring and copy recently files and another folder

Hi I have the following files A320_ZONAL_v24_-_AMM_Suffix_jess_2011-05-31.xls Jun 10 17:21 A320_ZONAL_v24_-_AMM_Suffix_jess_.xls Nov 10 17:21 A320_ZONAL_v24_-_AMM_Suffix_jess_2011-03-31.xls Nov 23 20:21 And I need only the more recent one using UNIX timestamp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeiregh
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to copy all files of a said type on my external hard drive

My code is this, what I'm trying to accomplish is to make a list of all pdf documents in my computer and then copy all of those documents to my external hard drive in a directory mkdir /Volumes/Hardrive-1/allpdf echo "File Locations" > /Volumes/Hardrive-1/allpdf/FileLocations.txt mdfind pdf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darpness
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy the two most recently added files to another directory - HP-UX?

Hello, I am attempting to find and copy the two most recently added files to a specific directory, that fit a specific format. I was able to find the command to list the two most recently added files in directory: ls -1t | head -n 2 The command lists the two files names in a vertical list,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattkoz
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Modified or latest files copy from windows to Linux

To copy the file from windows to linux i use pscp command(pscp source user@destination). Know i want to copy the latest modified or created files from windows to linux. could any one please help me out with it. Thanks and Regards, Sourabh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SourabhChavan
2 Replies
vzmigrate(8)							    Containers							      vzmigrate(8)

NAME
vzmigrate - migrate a container between two OpenVZ servers SYNOPSIS
vzmigrate [-r|--remove-area yes|no] [--ssh=ssh_options] [--rsync=rsync_options] [--keep-dst] [--online] [-v] destination_address CTID DESCRIPTION
This utility is used to migrate a container from one (source) Hardware Node (HN) to another (destination) HN. The utility can migrate either stopped or running container. For a stopped container, simple CT private area transfer is performed (rsync(1) is used for file transfer). For running containers, migration may be offline (default) or online. This program uses ssh as a transport layer. You will need to put ssh public key to destination node and be able to connect to node without entering password. OPTIONS
-r, --remove-area yes | no Whether to remove a container area on source HN for the successfully migrated container. Default is yes. --ssh=options Additional options that will be passed to ssh while establishing connection to destination HN. --rsync=options Additional options that will be passed to rsync(8). You may add options like -z to enable data compression if you are migrating over a slow link. --keep-dst Do not clean synced destination container private area in case of some error. It makes sense to use this option on big container migration to avoid syncing container private area again in case some error (on container stop for example) occurs during first migration attempt. --online Perform online (zero-downtime) migration: during the migration the container hangs for a while and after the migration it continues working as though nothing has happened. -v Verbose mode. Causes vzmigrate to print debugging messages about its progress. Multiple -v options increase the verbosity. The maximum is 3. EXAMPLES
Migration of CT 101 to 192.168.1.130 with downtime: vzmigrate 192.168.1.130 101 Online migration of CT 102 to 192.168.1.130: vzmigrate --online 192.168.1.130 102 EXIT STATUS
0 EXIT_OK Command completed successfully. 1 EXIT_USAGE Bad command line options. 2 EXIT_VE_STOPPED Container is stopped. 4 EXIT_CONNECT Can't connect to destination (source) HN. 6 EXIT_COPY Container private area copying/moving failed. 7 EXIT_VE_START Can't start or restore destination CT. 8 EXIT_VE_STOP Can't stop or checkpoint source CT. 9 EXIT_EXISTS Container already exists on destination HN. 10 EXIT_NOTEXIST Container does not exists on source HN. 12 EXIT_IP_INUSE You attempt to migrate CT which IP address(es) are already in use on the destination node. 13 EXIT_QUOTA Operation with CT quota failed. SEE ALSO
rsync(1). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2001-2010, Parallels, Inc. Licensed under GNU GPL. OpenVZ 28 Jun 2011 vzmigrate(8)