Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Help with Execl system call in a C program? Post 302898378 by miniviking10 on Tuesday 22nd of April 2014 12:17:10 AM
Old 04-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
A typical call to execl might be something like this:
Code:
execl("/bin/date", "date", 0, 0);

The first argument is a path to a file to be executed. Did I understand that you made the first argument a directory? You can't execute a directory.
The thing is I don't know what the direct path to the file would be. What I put was obviously wrong. And yea, I made my first argument a directory. How can I find what the direct path would be?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

2. Programming

parent not waiting until child complete executing another program through execl()

Hi, I am calling a program that greps and returns 72536 bytes of data on STDOUT, say about 7000 lines of data on STDOUT. I use pipe from the program am calling the above program. Naturally, I execute the above program (through execl() ) throught the child process and try to read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call another program

Hi, I would like to know how to call a program "cmp_size" ... where to put in progam to run it ex: program checkdisk is below, and it will call a nother problem "cmp_size" Do I just put the cmp_size program at the end of this program. Thank you very much, # check all directory for size... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xitrum
3 Replies

4. Programming

A question about the system call mount in a C program

Dear all, Currently I'm working on a C program (OS = ubuntu 9.0.4)in which a USB key will be mounted and umounted for several times. I read the man page of the mount system call. I use the following test code #include <sys/mount.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run shell script from C program by calling fork and execl

I need to write a c program that uses the fork and excel system calls to run the shell script mode invoked like this: "./mode 644 ls -l" (that is the argumetns will always be 644 ls -l) here's the mode script: #!/bin/sh octal="$1" shift find . -maxdepth 1 -perm $octal -exec $@ {} \; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: computethis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a mainframe program

Is it possible to call a mainframe program in UNIX script. I am using HP-UNIX. If so can any let me know the way to do it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atlantis
1 Replies

7. Programming

Notification email in C program, via system call? or?

Hello everyone! I'm quite new here, but this forum helped me a lot before without registering :-) I'll go directly to my problem, I have been searching a bit about this issue but I was not successful. I need to write a program in C code to notificate me (to my email) when some action is done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoNNo
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

program to send messages to parent using pipes and select system call

Write a program using select, which will create some number of child processes that continuously send text messages to the parent process using pipes. Each child has its own pipe that it uses to communicate with the parent. The parent uses select () to decide what pipes should be processed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ripssingh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf before execl system call

main() { printf("before execl"); execl("/home/nirmala/os/fact","fact"); printf("this line will not be printed"); } for the above program ,the obj file of fact.c is getting loaded correctly.am getting the output as... factorial =6 but in ouput am not getting the string given in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnirmala
2 Replies

10. Programming

call program

I would need to call the program 'ethtool' in my C++ program, does anyone know how to do that (if its even possible)? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freaky123
1 Replies
EXEC(3) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   EXEC(3)

NAME
execl, execlp, execle, execv, execvp - execute a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> extern char **environ; int execl(const char *path, const char *arg, ...); int execlp(const char *file, const char *arg, ...); int execle(const char *path, const char *arg, ..., char * const envp[]); int execv(const char *path, char *const argv[]); int execvp(const char *file, char *const argv[]); DESCRIPTION
The exec() family of functions replaces the current process image with a new process image. The functions described in this manual page are front-ends for execve(2). (See the manual page for execve(2) for further details about the replacement of the current process image.) The initial argument for these functions is the pathname of a file which is to be executed. The const char *arg and subsequent ellipses in the execl(), execlp(), and execle() functions can be thought of as arg0, arg1, ..., argn. Together they describe a list of one or more pointers to null-terminated strings that represent the argument list available to the executed program. The first argument, by convention, should point to the filename associated with the file being executed. The list of arguments must be terminated by a NULL pointer, and, since these are variadic functions, this pointer must be cast (char *) NULL. The execv() and execvp() functions provide an array of pointers to null-terminated strings that represent the argument list available to the new program. The first argument, by convention, should point to the filename associated with the file being executed. The array of pointers must be terminated by a NULL pointer. The execle() function also specifies the environment of the executed process by following the NULL pointer that terminates the list of arguments in the argument list or the pointer to the argv array with an additional argument. This additional argument is an array of pointers to null-terminated strings and must be terminated by a NULL pointer. The other functions take the environment for the new process image from the external variable environ in the current process. Special semantics for execlp() and execvp() The functions execlp() and execvp() will duplicate the actions of the shell in searching for an executable file if the specified filename does not contain a slash (/) character. The search path is the path specified in the environment by the PATH variable. If this variable isn't specified, the default path ":/bin:/usr/bin" is used. In addition, certain errors are treated specially. If permission is denied for a file (the attempted execve(2) failed with the error EACCES), these functions will continue searching the rest of the search path. If no other file is found, however, they will return with errno set to EACCES. If the header of a file isn't recognized (the attempted execve(2) failed with the error ENOEXEC), these functions will execute the shell (/bin/sh) with the path of the file as its first argument. (If this attempt fails, no further searching is done.) RETURN VALUE
If any of the exec() functions returns, an error will have occurred. The return value is -1, and errno will be set to indicate the error. ERRORS
All of these functions may fail and set errno for any of the errors specified for the library function execve(2). CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
On some other systems the default path (used when the environment does not contain the variable PATH) has the current working directory listed after /bin and /usr/bin, as an anti-Trojan-horse measure. Linux uses here the traditional "current directory first" default path. The behavior of execlp() and execvp() when errors occur while attempting to execute the file is historic practice, but has not tradition- ally been documented and is not specified by the POSIX standard. BSD (and possibly other systems) do an automatic sleep and retry if ETXTBSY is encountered. Linux treats it as a hard error and returns immediately. Traditionally, the functions execlp() and execvp() ignored all errors except for the ones described above and ENOMEM and E2BIG, upon which they returned. They now return if any error other than the ones described above occurs. SEE ALSO
sh(1), execve(2), fork(2), ptrace(2), fexecve(3), environ(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2009-02-22 EXEC(3)