Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to append user details as soon as he logs in Post 302898199 by gull04 on Sunday 20th of April 2014 06:33:31 AM
Old 04-20-2014
Hi Lionking93,

Am I missing something here, there is no need to reinvent the wheel here - there are a number of commands that can be used for this - also a number of already existing logfiles that have that data in them.

If you're determined you could write a script that gives you exactly what you want - but I think I'd advise you to look at the existing log files on your system if need be you could amend the config files like "syslogd.conf".

Or you could just put something like the following in the "/etc/profile" or create a "/etc/profile.d/custom.sh" if you want to avoid problems when you upgrade.

Code:
[~] 
(11:13:07)-(sc386dm)-(673)-> last | head -1 | awk '{ print $1" "$2" "$4" "$5" "$6" "$7 }'
sc386dm pts/8 Sat Apr 19 16:01

Obviously you'd use a redirect on the output to your logfile.

Regards

Gull04

Last edited by gull04; 04-20-2014 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: Senior Moment - couldn't spell for a one word duration!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl log parcer. (for custom logs details inside)

OS:sol8 ok 2 things are very important. I will give examples of the logs and the client file for testing. Object: to display on the web sometime to parse your custom logs basied on the inputed date and client selected. I know alot of ppl are like who care. but i saw a perl script on here... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete logs or take backups under specific user

I have to write a shell script like this-- 1) Utility will be run under the directory owner. 2) This utility will clean files in ABC/logs. And following logs will be backed up or deleted. Dispatcher Logs Middle tier Logs Sage log Sage monitor log Sage db clean up result log Core files ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
12 Replies

3. Solaris

user logon details

how can i identifying whose are logged in last few days,time and date also want. what i will do for get that information (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sijocg
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a script that executes when a user attempts to delete history logs

Hi, I have a linux redhat 9 server and I am concerned about the security on that server. I would like to be able to write a script that records all the commands that were typed at the command prompt before the user calls the 'history -c' command and deletes all the history. I was thinking about... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mishkamima
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Command History for a user with IP details

Hi We are sharing our envoirnment with our component teams. the plateform is SunOS 5.8 Generic_117350-41 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490. All team logs in the domain with same user and perform activities. Now for the system auditing purpose can somebody guide me how can I get the details when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukhvinder_Tm
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append logs to files,

i want to collect new logs only from a existing logfile and the new logs should be written both existing logfile and a new file.. which command i have to use for this. Regards Vijay, (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayq8
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing the login logout details of user

Hi I'm new to Shell scripting .Can anyone please help me how to capture user's login and logout details and load them into a table... we are using Oracle DB on UNIX:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajmohan146
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Fetching address and user details from log file

Hi All, I have a requirement to get the address values from a large log file along with the user details. line1,line2,city,stateCode,postalCode,countryCode. The below code as advised in the earlier post is giving the user data zgrep -B1 "Failed to calculate Tax" log.2018-05-23.gz | grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextStep
8 Replies
FAXCRON(8C)															       FAXCRON(8C)

NAME
faxcron - HylaFAX routine maintenance script SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxcron [ -n ] [ -l lastrun ] DESCRIPTION
faxcron is a command script that does routine upkeep tasks in a HylaFAX spooling directory hierarchy. This script is intended to be invoked from cron(8C) on behalf of the fax user (often the ``fax'' user is uucp) once a day, with the standard output sent by mail to the HylaFAX administrator. For example, the following crontab might be set up for the fax user: 25 23 * * * sh /usr/sbin/faxcron | mail FaxMaster The faxcron script does the following work: o report statistics for facsimile transmitted since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile transmitted in the past week. o report statistics for facsimile received since the last time faxcron was run. o report statistics for facsimile received in the past week. o report any recent calls that failed suspiciously and return the associated trace log; o purge data that is 30 days or older from the remote machine information directory; o delete information that is 30 days or older from session trace log files; o remove files from the tmp directory that are older than 1 day; o remove files in the received facsimile queue that are 7 days or older; o report sites that are currently having jobs rejected; and o force all session log files to be owned by the fax user and kept with protection mode 644. OPTIONS
-n Forces faxcron to run without updating any files. -l lastrun Forces the notion of the last time that faxcron was run to be lastrun. The value of lastrun is a date and time string of the form ``MM/DD/YY HH:MM'' (the date(1) format string ``%D %H:%M''). -info n Set the expiration time for data in the info database to be n days. -log n Set the expiration time for session log data to be n days. -rcv n Set the expiration time for files in the received facsimile queue to be n days. -tmp n Set the expiration time for files in the tmp directory to be n days. -mode m Set the file protection mode for session logs to m (a command line argument to chmod(1)). NOTES
This script requires nawk(1) or gawk(1) and a date(1) program that supports the ``+format'' option. If session logs are to be kept private this script must be modified to filter out sensitive information such as calling card numbers. (It should also be run with ``-mode 0600'' so that session log files are not publicly readable.) FILES
/var/spool/fax spooling area /var/spool/fax/etc/lastrun timestamp of last run /usr/sbin/xferfaxstats for generating transmit statistics /usr/sbin/recvstats for generating receive statistics /var/spool/fax/tmp/faxcronXXXX temporary file for truncating session logs /var/spool/fax/tmp/faxlogXXXX temporary file for logs of failed calls SEE ALSO
cron(8C), faxq(8C), faxgetty(8C), faxsend(8C), xferfaxstats(8C), recvstats(8C), hylafax-server(5F) May 12, 1996 FAXCRON(8C)