Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solbourn
Operating Systems Solaris Solbourn Post 302898032 by lbpd716 on Thursday 17th of April 2014 10:38:59 PM
Old 04-17-2014
Solbourn

Greetings -

I am looking for some assistance from someone who is familiar with Solbourn machines (Sparc Clone).

I have a workstation that I need to try to revive (long, complicated story) and do not have a working monitor (or a source where I seem to be able to find one that will work with it). It's been several years, but I do recall being able to get a serial console up on Sparcstations I have had in the past using a null modem cable and no monitor.

Does anyone have any experience who might be able to lend some suggestions or point me in a direction as to how I might be able to tunnel my way back into the machine and try to diagnose what is wrong with it. I have a spare here that might be good, but as of now I dont want to make any attempts to go after it until I can get some guidance on what procedures to follow to not break anything.

Thanks and Regards,

lbpd716

install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)