Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Shell script for dealing with XLS file with multiple tabs/worksheets Post 302897960 by himanshu sood on Thursday 17th of April 2014 09:02:53 AM
Old 04-17-2014
Shell script for dealing with XLS file with multiple tabs/worksheets

Hey Guys ,

Recently working on a requirement , i had to deal with XLS file with multiple tabs and the requirement was as below :

1. Convert one XLS file with multiple tabs to multiple CSV files.
-- As i was working on MAC , so it was quite easy through APPLESCRIPT to deal with this.But during this , i read lots of forum and learnt that UNIX shell scripting do not have any utility or solution for this.Is this really true?bcaz i everywhere found ppl recommending PERL or other stuff .

----------------------
Real Problem.
----------------------
2. Once Files are converted to CSV , we have to rename all CSV files with names as in different tab from XLS i.e first CSV should be named as the first tab in that XLS and so on .

Is there anyway in scripting to capture those tab names from XLS?

and if not , what alternative i should try to make this happen ?

I am eagerly looking forward for your replies.

Cheers!!!
Himanshu Sood

Last edited by himanshu sood; 04-17-2014 at 11:29 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying the csv file into different worksheets of xls file

Hi, I have a script which will generate three csv files. i want to copy the contents of these csv files into a .XLS file but in different worksheets. Can a this be done in the same script? :confused: Can Perl come to my help in coping the csv files into different worksheets of .XLS file ?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimish
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Creating multiple worksheets in CSV file

Hello, I've been tasked with sending 3 types of data (file size, row count, and file name) to a csv file every month for various vendors. I have been asked to put this in one csv or xls file with each vendor being a different tab (or worksheet). Until now, we have been finding and emailing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tekster757
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with spaces in file names in a shell script

Hi, What's the best way to find all files under a directory - including ones with space - in order to apply a command to each of them. For instance I want get a list of files under a directory and generate a checksum for each file. Here's the csh script: #!/bin/csh set files = `find $1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing worksheets from xls using unix.

HI All, I have a .xls file , in which I have multiple worksheets , I need to remove all the worksheets except the worksheet by name CDR_LOAD_STATS, how can I do this in unix. Please guide me. Regards, Deepti (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conversion of below Tabs Tex file into CSV format file : shell script needed

Request if some one could provide me shell script that converts the below "input file" to "CSV format file" given Name Domain Contact Phone Email Location ----------------------- ------------------------------------------------ ------- ----- ---------------------------------... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreenath1037
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting huge xls(having multiple tabs) to csv

hello I have browsed for the similar requirement i found this https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/40163-xls-csv-conversion.html but my problem is i have multiple tabs in xls file having same metadata I want to convert it into single csv file any ways to do it pls... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshiamit
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Download .xls file from mail and copy to another path using shell script

Hi I have a mail attachment coming from a mail id and evreytime with the same name in .xls format.I have to download the .xls file into a location and convert it itno .csv format and copy the .csv file to another location. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bikky6
1 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dealing with XLS file with multiple tabs

Hey Guys , Recently working on a requirement , i had to deal with XLS file with multiple tabs and the requirement was as below : 1. Convert one XLS file with multiple tabs to multiple CSV files. -- As i was working on MAC , so it was quite easy through APPLESCRIPT to deal with this.But... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu sood
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging Multiple XLS into Different tabs in xls/ xlsx

HI, I have multiple files per dept in folder for eg : In a folder File1_Dept100.xls File2_Dept100.xls File3_Dept100.xls File1_Dept200.xls File2_Dept200.xls File3_Dept200.xls Output should be : Dept100.xls which has File1, File2, File3 in different tabs Dept200.xls which has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkyzrocks
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to encrypt the xls file using executable jar in Linux SUSE 11.4

Dear Experts, I am an ERP consultant and would like to learn shell script. We are working on Linux SUSE 11.4 and I am very new to shell scripting. We can manually encrypt an excel file using "executable jar" through command prompt by placing the jar file & the file to be encrypted on a physical... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nithin226
1 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.10 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)