Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract data from a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract data from a file Post 302897925 by summer_cherry on Thursday 17th of April 2014 02:33:51 AM
Old 04-17-2014
python

Code:
arr=[]
with open("a.txt") as file:
 for line in file:
  line=line.replace("\n","")
  if not arr:
    arr.append(line)
  elif int(arr[-1])+1==int(line):
    arr.append(line)
  else:
    if len(arr)>=3:
        print("\n".join(arr))
        print("")
    arr=[line]        

if len(arr)>=3:
    print("\n".join(arr))

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data from file

My file in ksh consists of message data of varying lengths (lines), separated with headers. I would like to find a string from this file, and print out the whole message data including the headers. my plan of attack is to search the strings, print the top header, and print the whole message... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from file

Dear All , I am posting first time in this forum . Please ignore my mistakes . I am learning Unix and i need help to extract specific data from file . 1. I want to grep number of fails from log . The file contains "fails" word in line if test cases are failed . 2. The log contains... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: getdpg
20 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data from file

Hello again, how do you extract data from a file? I have created a file with PID #s in it, I need to be able to take the PID from each line and kill it. How is this done? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract data from file

I m new to shell scripting & i need a help.... i have file like.... Name := sachin address:=something phone:=111 ... Note: There might be or not space between Name & := and between := & sachin. I need to extract the data from each line of file as var1=Name value1=sachin same for... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: ps_sach
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract Data from a file

I need to create a script to extract some specific data from a file. I locate the file using the find command: find . -name "rpbol*" -print | xargs grep -li Once I locate the file I need using the above command, I would like to extract some data from that file. The data is always located... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jevaba
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data based on match against one column data from a long list data

My input file: data_5 Ali 422 2.00E-45 102/253 140/253 24 data_3 Abu 202 60.00E-45 12/23 140/23 28 data_1 Ahmad 256 7.00E-45 120/235 140/235 22 data_4 Aman 365 8.00E-45 15/65 140/65 20 data_10 Jones 869 9.00E-45 65/253 140/253 18... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with File Data Extract

Hello, Hope you are doing fine. I have been struggling with it for some time now and I would really appreciate your help. Following is file format: Currency,Name,Date, Term USD, ABC, 2011/11/11, T0, S1, S2, S3, S4 , , ,T1, 5.6, 2.3, 6.5, 4.5 , ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srattani
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract header data from one file and combine it with data from another file

Hi, Great minds, I have some files, in fact header files, of CTD profiler, I tried a lot C programming, could not get output as I was expected, because my programming skills are very poor, finally, joined unix forum with the hope that, I may get what I want, from you people, Here I have attached... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from a file

Hello All, I have a small xml file which looks like below: <Check:defaultval Val="crash" value="crash_report_0013&#xA;generate_check_0020 generate_check_0022&#xA;&#xA;This is where the fault is."/> <Check:defaultval Val="crash" value="crash_report_1001&#xA;generate_check_1001... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvendu4urs
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from a file

Hi , I am having a file which is PIPE delimited like this : file.txt aus|start|10:00:00 nz|start|11:00:00 aus|end|10:10:00 us|start|10:00:00 nz|end|11:10:00 us|end|11:00:00 . . . I want to extract an output file like this based on start time and end time for each countries: (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
9 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)