Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Strange behavior with tar
Operating Systems AIX Strange behavior with tar Post 302897850 by judykstra on Wednesday 16th of April 2014 11:34:57 AM
Old 04-16-2014
oops, that is supposed to be -Lfiles.txt
the actual command that is producing the error strange behavior is:
tar -cvf test.tar -Lfiles.txt

...was up late trying to get this resolved

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

strange sed behavior

I have a file called products.kp which contains, for example, 12345678,1^M 87654321,2^M 13579123,3 when I run the command cat products.kp| sed -f kp.sed where kp.sed contains s,^M,, I get the output 12345678,1 87654321,2 13579123,3 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Pryke
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk strange behavior

Dear guys; when deleting repeated lines using nawk as below ; Why the below syntax works? nawk ' !a++' infile > outfile and when using the other below syntax the nawk doesn't work? nawk ' { !a++ } ' infile > outfile or nawk ' { !a++ } ' infile > outfile BR (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.diab
4 Replies

3. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Ubuntu strange behavior

It is so till login screen. I mean that when I boot my computer, Ubuntu shows a splash screen with mouse instead of Ubuntu logo and in the login screen it shows XUbuntu login screen... It began when I upgraded to previous kernel, I suppose, but I'm not sure... I can't say that it annoys me very... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
6 Replies

5. Red Hat

strange mail behavior

Hi I have script to to take backup and send mail to a group once a day. One strange behavior I have observed recently is that most of the time the mail we receive is fine . But someday it just sends out mail without any subject with undisclosed recipients. I dont know how to find the cause... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ningy
0 Replies

6. AIX

Strange memory behavior

Hello together, i have a strange memory behavior on a AIX 7.1 System, which i cannot explain. The Filesystem-Cache will not be grow up and drops often after few minutes. I know if a file was deleted, that the same segment in the FS-Cache will also be cleared. But i am not sure if this is the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: -=XrAy=-
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior on one of my server

I am not sure what is wrong, but I have some strange behavior when printing things out. I do create a file with only one word test, no space, no new line etc. nano file<enter> test<ctrl x>y<enter> Server 1 gets (fail) awk '{print "+"$0"*"}' file *test Server 2 gets (OK) awk '{print... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behavior of grep

Hi All, I am facing a strange problem while grepping for a process. Here is the small script that i have written. It will look for any process running with the parameter passed to the script. If no process is running it should print appropriate message. $ cat t.ksh #!/bin/ksh set -x ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Ctrl+C behavior

Hello All, I have a strange issue. I've created a shell script which connects to RMAN (Oracle Recovery Manager) and executes full DB backup. I then executed this script with nohup and in the background: $ nohup my_script.sh > logfile.log 2>&1 &The issue is that when I tried to take a look into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackK
6 Replies
virt-tar-in(1)						      Virtualization Support						    virt-tar-in(1)

NAME
virt-tar-in - Unpack a tarball into a virtual machine disk image. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-in -a disk.img data.tar /destination virt-tar-in -d domain data.tar /destination zcat data.tar.gz | virt-tar-in -d domain - /destination WARNING
Using "virt-tar-in" on live virtual machines can be dangerous, potentially causing disk corruption. The virtual machine must be shut down before you use this command. DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-in" unpacks an uncompressed tarball into a virtual machine disk image or named libvirt domain. The first parameter is the tar file. Use "-" to read the tar file from standard input. The second parameter is the absolute target directory to unpack into. EXAMPLES
Upload a home directory to a guest: virt-tar-in -d MyGuest homes.tar /home JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-in" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-make-fs(1), virt-tar-out(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-in(1)