Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [awk] find pattern, change next two lines Post 302897746 by origamisven on Tuesday 15th of April 2014 05:02:53 PM
Old 04-15-2014
Thanks a lot, Yoda, can you explain the syntax to me? I don't want to die stupid.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find required files by pattern in xml files and the change the pattern on Linux

Hello, I need to find all *.xml files that matched by pattern on Linux. I need to have written the file name on the screen and then change the pattern in the file just was found. For instance. I can start the script with arguments for keyword and for value, i.e script.sh keyword... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yart
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find pattern and add lines

My file goes like this: SID_LIST_HOSTNAME_LISTENER_3 = (SID_LIST = (SID_DESC = (SID_NAME = ORA0008) (ORACLE_HOME = /opt/oracle/product/ORA0008) (ENVS = "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/oracle/product/ORA0008/lib") ) (SID_DESC = (SID_NAME = ORA0007) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpsingh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and change the lines in the file.

Hi Everyone, I have a JIL (Job Information Language) Definition for Several Jobs in a file. I would like to do the following: insert_job: KS_INT_BIZ_INT job_type: c command: /home/filter/script.sh INT machine: MACHINE owner: filter permission: gx,mx date_conditions: 1 days_of_week:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filter
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find pattern and discard lines before it?

Hi all, I'd like to search a file for the first occurence of the phrase "PLASTICS THAT EXPIRE" and then discard all the lines that came before it. Output the remainder to a new file. Operating system is hp-ux. I've searched for usual awk and sed one liners but can't find a solution. Thank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scottie1954
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk or sed to find a pattern that has lines before and after it

Dear gurus, Please help this beginner to write and understand the required script. I am looking for useing awk for sed. I have a few thousand lines file whose contain are mostly as below and I am trying to achieve followings. 1. Find a string, say user1. Then hash the line containing the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ran_bon_78
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find pattern; grep n lines before and after

Hi, I need help to grep a specific part of a log file (bold). 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056 frosti-1 M3UA-Tx: } 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056 frosti-1 M3UA-Tx: extensionContainer <Not Present> 24/2/2017-16:57:17.056... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasil
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

find pattern matches in consecutive lines in certain fields-awk

I have a text file with many thousands of lines, a small sample of which looks like this: InputFile:PS002,003 D -1 5 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 6 6 -1 -1 -1 -1 0 509 0 PS002,003 PSQ 0 1 7 18 1 0 -1 1 1 3 -1 -1 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find specific pattern and change some of block values using awk

Hi, Could you please help me finding a way to replace a specific value in a text block when matching a key pattern ? I got the keys and the values from a command similar to: echo -e "key01 Nvalue01-1 Nvalue01-2 Nvalue01-3\nkey02 Nvalue02-1 Nvalue02-2 Nvalue02-3 \nkey03 Nvalue03-1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex2005
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to remove pattern and lines above pattern

In the awk below I am trying to remove all lines above and including the pattern Test or Test2. Each block is seperated by a newline and Test2 also appears in the lines to keep but it will always have additional text after it. The Test to remove will not. The awk executed until the || was added... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
diction(1)						      General Commands Manual							diction(1)

NAME
diction, explain, suggest - Prints wordy sentences and looks them up in an interactive thesaurus. SYNOPSIS
diction [-fpattern_file] [-k] [-ma] [-me] [-ml] [-ms] [-n] [file...] explain suggest The diction command finds all sentences in an English language document that contain phrases from a database of bad or wordy diction. The explain command is an interactive thesaurus for the English language phrases found by the diction command and only for those phrases. The diction command reads from standard in if no file operand is provided. The suggest command is a synonym for explain. OPTIONS
Names a user-created pattern file to be used in addition to the default file. Passes the -k option to the deroff command. The -k option keeps blocks of text specified nroff by requests or macros; for example, the request. Passes the -ma option to deroff. The -ma option interprets nroff man macros only. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Causes deroff to skip lists; should be used if a docu- ment contains many lists of nonsentences. Overrides the default nroff -ms macro package. Suppresses use of the default file (used with -f). Only the user-created pattern file is used. DESCRIPTION
Each phrase found by the diction command is enclosed in [ ] (brackets). Because diction runs deroff before looking at the text, include formatting header files as part of the input. Before using the explain command, use the diction command to obtain a list of poorly worded phrases. When you use the explain command, the system prompts you for a phrase and responds with a grammatically acceptable alternative. You can continue typing phrases, or you can exit by pressing the End-of-File key sequence. The explain command can also take input redirected from a file. No other command line arguments are valid. NOTES
Use of nonstandard formatting macros may cause incorrect sentence breaks. In particular, diction does not understand -me. FILES
Default pattern file. Thesaurus used by the explain command. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), nroff(1) diction(1)