Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to consume all available space on partition? Post 302897684 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 15th of April 2014 12:10:48 PM
Old 04-15-2014
Perhaps something in a simple loop will do the job:-
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

RC=0
typeset -Z20 counter=0

if [ ! -d hog ]
then
   mkdir hog
fi

until [ $RC -ne 0 ]
do
   ((counter=$counter+1))
   echo "Hello" > hog/hogfile_counter
   RC=$?
done

This will write vast numbers of files until either the space of the i-nodes are exhausted and no new files can be created. You can simply delete the entire hog directory to clean up.

If you want to ensure that you fill space, you could:-
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

RC=0
typeset -Z20 counter=0

until [ $RC -ne 0 ]
do
   ((counter=$counter+1))
   echo "$counter" >> hogfile
   cp hogfile hogtempA
   cp hogfile hogtempB
   cp hogfile hogtempC
   cp hogfile hogtempD
   cp hogfile hogtempE
   cat hogtemp? > hogfile   
   RC=$?
done

You can then delete hogfile and hogtemp? to free the space.

Both will take quite a while as the IO is probably expensive.

To set a limit, perhaps you could change the loop not to check the return code, but to do a df and get the current value. You can then test if it is over a predetermined limit.

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Swap Partition Space

first of all, sorry about my english...I´m a spanish newbie to this marvelous OS and i have just a couple of doubts...u know? :-) 1) how big should my swap partition be if i installed debian 2.2r3 or FreeBSD 4.x on a AMD k7 1400Mhz with 512Mb of Random Access Memory? i heard that those OS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: I[X]ION
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

moving space from one partition to another

How can I move some space allocated to one partition to another, i.e. from "/var" to "/" . Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jason6792
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space for root partition

Hello, I am trying to monitor disk space for each node on the machine. I am able to get all individual nodes but for the '/' node. For example: df -k: bash-2.05b# df -k Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/xxx 4127108 2415340 1502120 62% / /dev/yyy ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

4. AIX

How to find the top 6 users (which consume most space)?

Hi everybody, I want to know if there is any posibility to find out - on an AIX system - which are the the users who consume most space or at least a posibility to obtain a list with all the users and how much space are they consuming ? Trying to use du command was useless. Any idea?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RebelDac
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

RHEL 5 supports only 2 TB space for a partition !

Dear Friends , I am using Redhat Ent Linux 5.0 with a EMC storage which HDD space is 4 TB. After Installing RHEL 5 , I get 4 TB space available but when I am going to create a partition then the OS show 2TB available space . I cannot create a partition above 2TB space . Is there any limitation... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shifting space from one partition to other

hi My System is Sun Microsystems Inc. SunOS 5.10 Solaris Partition Info is /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/var 27G 25G 1.2G 96% /var /dev/vx/dsk/bootdg/oravol 110G 54G 56G 49% /export/home I want to shift space 20G from /export/home to /var What should be the command ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaushik02018
2 Replies

7. Slackware

Ideal partition sizes of 17 gb space.

I am planning to install slack 13.37 on an old stand-alone PIII (512 mb ram) with 17 gb disk space. I need to keep lotsa pdf, chm type e-books for programming with few other misc. documents. I'm going to use this system for my personal use. It has no network but I browse internet with cable... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

8. Linux

How to increase root space from another partition?

Hi OS Experts I would like to increase root partition from another partition so that I can save more documents in Home and Desktop. whether it is possible without formating root partition if so please explain here is o/p of df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda9... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How Much Space Before 1st Partition?

Hello All, I'm having trouble finding info on how to convert sector size (*if that's really what i want to do?) to something easier to understand. I'm trying to copy the MBR from a bootable SD Card to another SD Card or image file, but I'm not sure what I should use in my dd command since I'm... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
17 Replies

10. Red Hat

Allot free space from one partition to other

I have a RHEL 5.3 machine with the following partitions and free space: Free space on the partitions / : 74GB /boot : 81MB /var : 73GB /home : 37GB /icat : 758MB /opt : 1.5GB Now is it possible to allot a free space of some other partitions to /opt? I want around 100 GB more space... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omniok
4 Replies
XML::LibXML::Devel(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     XML::LibXML::Devel(3)

NAME
XML::LibXML::Devel - makes functions from LibXML.xs available SYNOPSIS
/********************************************** * C functions you want to access */ xmlNode *return_node(); void receive_node(xmlNode *); ############################################### # XS Code void * xs_return_node CODE: RETVAL = return_node(); OUTPUT: RETVAL void xs_receive_node void *n CODE: receive_node(n); ############################################### # Perl code use XML::LibXML::Devel; sub return_node { my $raw_node = xs_return_node(); my $node = XML::LibXML::Devel::node_to_perl($raw_node); XML::LibXML::Devel::refcnt_inc($raw_node); return $node; } sub receive_node { my ($node) = @_; my $raw_node = XML::LibXML::Devel::node_from_perl($node); xs_receive_node($raw_node); XML::LibXML::Devel::refcnt_inc($raw_node); } DESCRIPTION
"XML::LibXML::Devel" makes functions from LibXML.xs available that are needed to wrap libxml2 nodes in and out of XML::LibXML::Nodes. This gives cleaner dependencies than using LibXML.so directly. To XS a library that uses libxml2 nodes the first step is to do this so that xmlNodePtr is passed as void *. These raw nodes are then turned into libxml nodes by using this "Devel" functions. Be aware that this module is currently rather experimental. The function names may change if I XS more functions and introduce a reasonable naming convention. Be also aware that this module is a great tool to cause segfaults and introduce memory leaks. It does however provide a partial cure by making "xmlMemUsed" available as "mem_used". FUNCTIONS
NODE MANAGEMENT node_to_perl node_to_perl($raw_node); Returns a LibXML::Node object. This has a proxy node with a reference counter and an owner attached. The raw node will be deleted as soon as the reference counter reaches zero. If the C library is keeping a pointer to the raw node, you need to call refcnt_inc immediately. You also need to replace xmlFreeNode by a call to refcnt_dec. node_to_perl node_from_perl($node); Returns a raw node. This is a void * pointer and you can do nothing but passing it to functions that treat it as an xmlNodePtr. The raw node will be freed as soon as its reference counter reaches zero. If the C library is keeping a pointer to the raw node, you need to call refcnt_inc immediately. You also need to replace xmlFreeNode by a call to refcnt_dec. refcnt_inc refcnt_inc($raw_node); Increments the raw nodes reference counter. The raw node must already be known to perl to have a reference counter. refcnt_dec refcnt_dec($raw_node); Decrements the raw nodes reference counter and returns the value it had before. if the counter becomes zero or less, this method will free the proxy node holding the reference counter. If the node is part of a subtree, refcnt_dec will fix the reference counts and delete the subtree if it is not required any more. refcnt refcnt($raw_node); Returns the value of the reference counter. fix_owner fix_owner($raw_node, $raw_parent); This functions fixes the reference counts for an entire subtree. it is very important to fix an entire subtree after node operations where the documents or the owner node may get changed. this method is aware about nodes that already belong to a certain owner node. MEMORY DEBUGGING $ENV{DEBUG_MEMORY} BEGIN {$ENV{DEBUG_MEMORY} = 1;}; use XML::LibXML; This turns on libxml2 memory debugging. It must be set before XML::LibXML is loaded. mem_used mem_used(); Returns the number of bytes currently allocated. EXPORT None by default. SEE ALSO
This was created to support the needs of Apache2::ModXml2. So this can serve as an example. AUTHOR
Joachim Zobel <jz-2011@heute-morgen.de> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2011 by Joachim Zobel This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.10.1 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.16.3 2013-05-13 XML::LibXML::Devel(3)