Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Logrotate configuration
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Logrotate configuration Post 302897630 by CarloM on Tuesday 15th of April 2014 07:39:50 AM
Old 04-15-2014
Yes, assuming it still matches the files you do want to rotate.

But it is just a guess - try it and find out Smilie.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

logrotate with /etc/logrotate.conf file

Hi there, I want to rotate the logfiles which are located in /var/log/jboss/tomcat* so I have created a file named as 'tomat' in /etc/logrotate.d/tomcat with the following content. # cat /etc/logrotate.d/tomcat /var/log/jboss/tomcat_access_log*.log { daily nocreate ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skmdu
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Logrotate configuration problem

Hi, I have the following configuration file: /logs/system/mindundi/* { rotate 0 daily missingok sharedscripts postrotate find /logs/system/mindundi/ -name "*log" -mtime +15 -exec /bin/rm -f {} \; endscript } I want to save only... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitchbcn
6 Replies

3. Linux

LogRotate

Hi I am trying to rotate specific log by using logrotate function in unix I have made following entry in the /etc/logrotate.conf file /var/log/testlog/debug_log { daily rotate 7 create compress } But only issue is that my other logs like /var/log/messages,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SiddhV
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rotate modsec log with logrotate in the global configuration

Hello Experts, I have an apache 2.2.17 on solaris 10 that I am not sure if I, could list the following in the global settings in httpd.conf. I tested it in the Virtual host section of httpd.conf and, it works but, not sure if I can do it in the global settings. Any help would be greatly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
0 Replies

5. Red Hat

Logrotate on RHEL 5

Hi All, Can any one let me me know if i run /usr/sbin/logrotate /etc/logrotate.conf will it read the whole /var/log/messages or it just see the time stamp of message file & then rotate the logs. Just wants to know is logrotation based on messages file contents or messages file time stamp. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajaincv
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logrotate - I am not able to rotate files using logrotate

I have written script which is working in Home directory perfectly and also compressing log files and rotating correctly. But, when i try to run script for /var/log/ i am able to get compressed log files but not able to get rotation of compressed log files. Please suggest. I am using below command... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
5 Replies

7. AIX

Logrotate - /etc/logrotate.conf does't exist

Hi Admins. I have installed logrotate rpm on Aix 6.1. After the installation of rpm, I don't find /etc/logrotate.conf file and /etc/logrotate.d dir . The config file is located in /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf. When I ran logrotate -v /opt/freeware/etc/logrotate.conf I get below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
2 Replies

8. AIX

Logrotate.conf

Hey Admins, I have installed logrotate on AIX server. I want to configure it for 1. /var/log/messages – keep 90 days, i.e., weekly rotate 13 2. Syslog – keep 90 days i.e., weekly rotate 13 3. Wtmp – keep 90 days i.e., weekly rotate 13 4. Sulog – keep 90 days i.e., weekly rotate 13 What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with logrotate

Hi, I have a problem with logrotate at Centos 7. My logrotate is configured with "rotate 0" to Apache logs, so it should never keep logs when rotating, just removing them and replacing by new empty ones at every rotation. But for some reason, once in a while, I see that logrotate is creating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dado000
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When to use sharedscripts in a Logrotate Configuration?

Hello All, OS: SLES 11.3 x86_64 Should I be using the sharedscripts config command for my logrotate configuration, given the info below? I made it so the server sending the log data will do Syslog pushes of 3 types of logs to my SLES server, and all 3 logs will be written into the same... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies
SAVELOG(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SAVELOG(8)

NAME
savelog - save a log file SYNOPSIS
savelog [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-t] [-p] [-c cycle] [-l] [-j] [-J] [-1 .. -9] [-C] [-d] [-l] [-r rolldir] [-n] [-q] [-D dateformat] file ... DESCRIPTION
The savelog command saves and optionally compresses old copies of files. Older versions of file are named: file.<number><compress_suffix> where <number> is the version number, 0 being the newest. Version numbers > 0 are compressed unless -l prevents it. Version number 0 is not compressed because a process might still have file opened for I/O. Only cycle versions of the file are kept. If the file does not exist and -t was given, it will be created. For files that do exist and have lengths greater than zero, the following actions are performed: 1) Version numbered files are cycled. Version file.2 is moved to version file.3, version file.1 is moved to version file.2, and so on. Finally version file.0 is moved to version file.1, and version file is deleted. Both compressed names and uncompressed names are cycled, regardless of -l. Missing version files are ignored. 2) The new file.1 is compressed unless the -l flag was given. It is changed subject to the -m, -u, and -g flags. 3) The main file is moved to file.0. 4) If the -m, -u, -g, -t, or -p flags are given, then an empty file is created subject to the given flags. With the -p flag, the file is created with the same owner, group, and permissions as before. 5) The new file.0 is changed subject to the -m, -u, and -g flags. OPTIONS
-m mode chmod the log files to mode, implies -t -u user chown log files to user, implies -t -g group chgrp log files to group, implies -t -c cycle Save cycle versions of the logfile (default: 7). The cycle count must be at least 2. -t touch new logfile into existence -l don't compress any log files (default: do compress) -p preserve owner, group, and permissions of logfile -j compress with bzip2 instead of gzip -J compress with xz instead of gzip For xz no strength option is set, and xz decides on the default based on the total amount of physical RAM. Note that xz can use a very large amount of memory for the higher compression levels. -1 .. -9 compression strength or memory usage (default: 9, except for xz) -C force cleanup of cycled logfiles -d use standard date for rolling -D dateformat override date format, in the syntax understood by the date(1) command -r use rolldir instead of . to roll files -n do not rotate empty files -q be quiet BUGS
If a process is still writing to file.0, and savelog moves it to file.1 and compresses it, data could be lost. SEE ALSO
logrotate(8) Debian 30 Dec 2017 SAVELOG(8)