Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newgrp fails on only 1 group
Operating Systems Solaris Newgrp fails on only 1 group Post 302897551 by rnae20 on Monday 14th of April 2014 05:52:33 PM
Old 04-14-2014
Thanks for the input. We know that newgrp only works for the first 16 groups which are output by the groups command (sans this one problem group). The GID is in fact over 60000, but we have working groups in the 6-figure range above this group.
This problem group has a huge number of members. Can someone point me to a doc which covers the max members that Solaris can handle in a group? As I mentioned, Red Hat is fine with this group. THX

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

newgrp command

I'd like to make an alias of commands which contains the command newgrp. exple: alias my_cmde newgrp toto; my_pg & this line doesn't work. why ? Thanks for your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nathe
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newgrp in a script

I want to do these commands in a script: if the user name is 'toto' then the user switch to the group toto_group and then 2 others scripts are launched. Unfortunately, after the command 'newgrp' the 2 scripts are not launched correctly. But if I do the same, by hand, one line per one line, it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nathe
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch fails for group member

Hello all, I have a group - grpchg - which has 2 members 1) grpmem1 2) chgmem1 The first member creates a dir and gives write permission to itself and for the group - and reads like this: drwxrwsr-x However the other member is unable to create files in the dir. I even gave drwxrwxr-x... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohanprabu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating 'newgrp' command - how?

Hi, I have to add the 'newgrp' command to my login (.cshrc) script. The problem is that if I add it, it comes to infinite look, since newgrp opens new shell again and again. How to automate the newgrp when I have to login, and avoid that loop? Currently I'm thinking of a condition that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshmosh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the right way to use newgrp in script

my requirement is $ id user o/p for the above command $ uid=1(user) gid=2(x) a user is involved in 3 groups x,y,z whenever the user try to execute a script, script should ask for the group as input from user ,assume the group he wants to change as Y and the rest of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram_unx
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a one liner to grep a group info from /etc/group and use that result to search passwd file

/etc/group tiadm::345:mk789,po312,jo343,ju454,ko453,yx879,iy345,hn453 bin::2:root,daemon sys::3:root,bin,adm adm::4:root,daemon uucp::5:root /etc/passwd mk789:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh po312:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh ju454:x:234:1::/export/home/dummy:/bin/sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use newgrp or sg in user mode without password prompt?

Hi, Is it possible to call newgrp or sg from user mode without password prompt in a Linux script? Thank you. hce (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set up newgrp on .profile?

Hello all, I am having an issue setting up an environment on .profile. I want to set up my .profile in that way that everytime I login to the host, it should automatically set up my group. I tried the folllowing but it doesn't work. It is on the solaris OS. HOSTNAME=$(hostname) if ] || ]... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pateltiger
14 Replies

9. Programming

Sql ORA-00937: not a single-group group function

I'm trying to return only one row with the highest value for PCT_MAX_USED. Any suggestions? When I add this code, I get the ORA-00937 error. trunc(max(decode( kbytes_max, 0, 0, (kbytes_alloc/kbytes_max)*100))) pct_max_used This is the original and returns all rows. select (select... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: progkcp
3 Replies
SG(1)                                                              User Commands                                                             SG(1)

NAME
sg - execute command as different group ID SYNOPSIS
sg [-] [group [-c ] command] DESCRIPTION
The sg command works similar to newgrp but accepts a command. The command will be executed with the /bin/sh shell. With most shells you may run sg from, you need to enclose multi-word commands in quotes. Another difference between newgrp and sg is that some shells treat newgrp specially, replacing themselves with a new instance of a shell that newgrp creates. This doesn't happen with sg, so upon exit from a sg command you are returned to your previous group ID. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), newgrp(1), su(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 SG(1)