Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting While loop till length of line is great enough Post 302897461 by claire.a on Monday 14th of April 2014 09:09:20 AM
Old 04-14-2014
While loop till length of line is great enough

I have the following code:

Code:
# Get the line of stations_info.txt starting with "${xstation1} " and copy it to file temp.txt
					grep "^${xstation1} " stations_info.txt > temp.txt
					# Get lat and long of station
                                        nl=0
                                        LEN=0
 					while [ ${LEN} -lt 10 ]; do
					line=
					let nl=nl+1
					line=$(head -n ${nl} temp.txt)
					LEN=$(echo ${#line})				
					done
					echo $line > temp2.txt
					lat=`awk '{print $3}' temp2.txt`
					long=`awk '{print $4}' temp2.txt`
					echo ${lat} ${long} >> ${PROJECT}/sources.txt
					rm temp.txt temp2.txt

The idea is to take the line of stations_info.txt which has the station name in the line. I then want to find the line with a length greater than 10. Using this line I need to extract the values from the third and fourth columns. My problem is that the line just extends and isn't reset. How can I get the line to reset, or do the above in another way?

Thanks in advance

---------- Post updated at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:03 PM ----------

I was being silly - have to change head

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop till you find a string in a fine <-- Need Help New to Unix Scripting

Guys - I am new to Unix scripting and am in need for a script that does the following. I have bits and pieces created and tested but i am just having a little difficult time getting it all together. - Loop through till it finds a string in a specific file. Any help is greatly appreciated. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrehman
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print lines till till a pattern is matched in loop

Dear All I have a file like this 112534554 446538656 444695656 225696966 226569744 228787874 113536566 443533535 222564552 115464656 225445345 225533234 I want to cut the file into different parts where the first two columns are '11' . The first two columns will be either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anoopvraj
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Problem in reading a file line by line till it reaches a white line

So, I want to read line-by-line a text file with unknown number of files.... So: a=1 b=1 while ; do b=`sed -n '$ap' test` a=`expr $a + 1` $here do something with b etc done the problem is that sed does not seem to recognise the $a, even when trying sed -n ' $a p' So, I cannot read... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hakermania
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for length which exceeds specified length in a line

Hi, I have a issue, I need to loop through a comma delimited file and check for the length which exceeds specified length , if Yes truncate the string. But my problem is , I do not have to check for all the fields and the field lenght is not same for all the fields. For ex: Say my line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rashmisb
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with loop till search is done

I need help to put a script where it runs the svn command grep'ing for the ticket# in the comments to see if the ticket was used in the latest commit. so on command line: ./test.sh ticket-1 ticket-2 ticket-3 It should be able to check if ticket-1 is used first and if not then check if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop till the files downloaded

Need assistance in writing a for loop script or any looping method. Below is the code where i can get all the files from the URL . There are about 80 files in the URL .Every day the files get updated . Script that i wanted is the loop must keep on running till it gets 80 files. It matches the count... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to read a file from particular line till required line and process

Hi All, Am trying to write wrapper shell/bash script on a utility tool for which i need to pass 2 files as arugment to execute utility tool. Wraper script am trying is to do with above metion 2 files. utility tool accepts : a. userinfo file : which contains username b. item file : which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine multiline to one line till a blank line

Hello, I have a file as :- ABC DEF GHI JKL <BlankLine> MNO PQR STU VWX <BlankLine> YZA I need it as below:- ABCDEFGHIJKL; MNOPQRSTUVWX; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
3 Replies
STREAM_COPY_TO_STREAM(3)						 1						  STREAM_COPY_TO_STREAM(3)

stream_copy_to_stream - Copies data from one stream to another

SYNOPSIS
int stream_copy_to_stream (resource $source, resource $dest, [int $maxlength = -1], [int $offset]) DESCRIPTION
Makes a copy of up to $maxlength bytes of data from the current position (or from the $offset position, if specified) in $source to $dest. If $maxlength is not specified, all remaining content in $source will be copied. PARAMETERS
o $source - The source stream o $dest - The destination stream o $maxlength - Maximum bytes to copy o $offset - The offset where to start to copy data RETURN VALUES
Returns the total count of bytes copied. CHANGELOG
+--------+------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Added the $offset parameter | | | | +--------+------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 A stream_copy_to_stream(3) example <?php $src = fopen('http://www.example.com', 'r'); $dest1 = fopen('first1k.txt', 'w'); $dest2 = fopen('remainder.txt', 'w'); echo stream_copy_to_stream($src, $dest1, 1024) . " bytes copied to first1k.txt "; echo stream_copy_to_stream($src, $dest2) . " bytes copied to remainder.txt "; ?> SEE ALSO
copy(3). PHP Documentation Group STREAM_COPY_TO_STREAM(3)