Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Edit the file in shell script Post 302897368 by Don Cragun on Sunday 13th of April 2014 06:04:07 PM
Old 04-13-2014
The vi utility is an interactive editor, not a scripting editor. Look at the man pages for ex, ed, and sed for utilities that are intended to be used to edit files in scripts.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to edit txt file by shell script?

What I want to do is just delete some lines from a text file, I know it's easy using copy and redirect function, but what I have to do is edit this file (delete the lines) directly, as new lines may be added to the text file during this period. Can AIX do this ? # cat text 1:line1 2:line2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dupeng
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit the content of a file

Hi I need some help using shell script to edit a file. My original file has the following format: /txt/email/myemail.txt /txt/email/myemail2.txt /pdf/email/myemail.pdf /pdf/email/myemail2.pdf /doc/email/myemail.doc /doc/email/myemail2.doc I need to read each line. If the path is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger99
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a config file using shell script

I need to edit a config file using shell script. i.e., Search with the 'key' string and edit the 'value'. For eg: below is what I have in the config file "configfile.cfg". Key1=OldValue1 Key2=OldValue2 I want to search for "Key1" and change "OldValue1" to "NewValue1" Thanks for your... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshomallur
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit file and delete entry

Can anyone provide me a shell script to edit a xml file and delete one entry. To do manually i can edit(vi editor) the file and 'dd' will delete the file.But I wiluld to know if I can do with a script. Thanks in advance Tannu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit particular cell of csv file using shell script

I have one csv file and in that I want update particular cell. I know the row and coloumn number for that respective. Please help me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepak_p86
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we edit crontab using a shell script

Hi, Can some one tell me if we can configure the jobs in crontab using a shell script. I know it can be done easily by using "crontab -e", but i just want to know whether we can add a job into the crontab using a shell script. If it can be done, plz suggest the procedure to do it. If it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudrarajumk
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to edit a file

Hello, I have a big file in wich I would like to rename inside this exactly the string '_ME' and not rename in case we have 'ABC_MELANGE'. Is there a way to do it by using a shell script? Any tip will be apreciated. The file is like described bellow, after using command more filename : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Titas
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit a file

i have a file called number which contains data as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 0 1 2 3 4 needed a shell script to print the output as 1 7 7 1 4 and (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating using shell script : edit the file in a directory

I am trying to automate hadoop installation procedure using shell script. It involves go to perticular directory and add some more lines to the file /etc/sysctl.conf. How this can be done? Regards Navaz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abdul Navaz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open and edit a file using a shell script

Hello Folks, I have a file named as date.dat present at /tmp/abc location which has following data - 20161030,20161031,20161101 I need to remove this line and replace it with something like below - $param1,$param2,$param3 Param1, Param2 and param3 stores the date based on some calculation in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
1 Replies
ex(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ex(1)

Name
       ex, edit - text editor

Syntax
       ex [ - ] [ -v ] [ -x ] [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] name...
       edit [ ex options ]

Description
       The  editor  is	the  root  of a family of editors: and The editor is a superset of with the most notable extension being a display-editing
       facility.  Display-based editing is the focus of

The name argument indicates the files to be edited.

Options
       -    Suppresses all interactive-user feedback.  This option is useful in processing editor scripts in command files.

-v   Equivalent to using rather than

-t   Equivalent to an initial tag command, that is, editing the file containing the tag and positioning the editor at its definition.

-r   Used to recover after an editor or system crash.  It recovers by retrieving the last saved version of the named file.  If no  file	is
	    specified, it displays a list of saved files.

-R   Sets the read-only option at the start.

+command
	    Indicates  that  the editor should begin by executing the specified command.  If the command is omitted, it defaults to $, positioning
	    the editor at the last line of the first file, initially.  Other useful commands here are scanning patterns of the form  +/pattern	or
	    line numbers.

-l   Sets up for LISP.  That is, it sets the showmatch and lisp options.  The -x option is available only if the Encryption layered product
	    is installed.

-x   Causes to prompt for a key. The key is used to encrypt and decrypt the contents of the file. If the file contents have been  encrypted
	    with one key, you must use the same key to decrypt them.

Restrictions
       The command causes all marks to be lost on lines changed and then restored if the marked lines were changed.

The command does not clear the buffer modified condition.

The z command prints a number of logical rather than physical lines.  More than a screenful of output may result if long lines are present.

File input/output errors do not print a name if the command line minus sign (-) option is used.

There is no easy way to do a single scan ignoring case.

The editor does not warn you if you place text in named buffers and do not use it before exiting the editor.

Null characters are discarded from input files, and cannot appear in output files.

Files
       /usr/lib/ex?.?recover	     recover command
       /usr/lib/ex?.?preserve	     preserve command
       /etc/termcap		terminal capabilities
       ~/.exrc			editor startup file
       /tmp/Exnnnnn		editor temporary
       /tmp/Rxnnnnn		named buffer temporary
       /usr/preserve		preservation directory

See Also
       awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), vi(1), termcap(5), environ(7)
       "Edit: A Tutorial" and the "Ex Reference Manual" in the
       Supplementary Documents, Volume 1: General User

ex(1)