Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD A question about BSD kernel and driver Post 302897361 by Linusolaradm1 on Sunday 13th of April 2014 04:50:26 PM
Old 04-13-2014
Very bad Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

BSD Accelerated NVIDIA Driver Petition

hello ppl, me and a friend, tired of waiting for nvidia to help the community creating a nvidia driver for bsd, decided to make yet another petition to deliver nvidia as a way of protest. didn't we buy a nvidia card just like a common windows or linux user? didn't we pay for it? so, why... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: crashnburn
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel and Device Driver Programming

I am looking for a guide on how to program for either the Linux or FreeBSD (includes 4.4BSD, NetBSD or OpenBSD) kernel. I would prefer to learn how to write device drivers, but anything would help. If you know, please email me at *removed* or leave a post here Regards, Farhan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Farhan
0 Replies

3. Linux

Linux Device Driver: avoid mem copy from/to user/kernel space

I recently started working with Linux and wrote my first device driver for a hardware chip controlled by a host CPU running Linux 2.6.x kernel. 1. The user space process makes an IOCTL call with pointer to a user memory buffer. 2. The kernel device driver in the big switch-case of IOCTL,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: agaurav
1 Replies

4. BSD

BSD Kernel Source Code

Hi I need the BSD core (kernel) operating system Please let me download link I'm from Iran Please help me Thank you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepadl71
1 Replies

5. BSD

BSD kernel

Hi. I am thinking to create an OS. I don't want to use linux kernel. I want to use BSD Kernel and this also means that because will be on UFS, I cannot use Gparted. This are my 2 questions. 1) Where can I download BSD Kernel. 2) Witch is the tool to create the partitions. (I think is gpart but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snuffell
1 Replies

6. Fedora

Is Kernel module is the same as a device driver?

I have been reading prep questions for my second unix academy exam, and there's a nuance, I'm not sure I understand it correctly. I've been under impression from my readings of book by Evi Nemeth and from unix academy DVDs I've been watching, that kernel's modules are drivers. I think of it, as... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: newlinuxuser1
25 Replies

7. Hardware

Difference between platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver

In general terms what are the differences platform driver,codec driver and Machine driver? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Kernel panics : trying to write / read on tiny tty driver

I'm a beginner to the Linux programming and trying my hands on some device driver examples while practising. The below code (a trimmed down version of tiny_tty.c from ldd3 book) loads perfectly using insmod and I'm able to see it in /proc/tty/drivers , /proc/modules and device nodes are getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: diwsdiwa
1 Replies
BADSECT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						BADSECT(8)

NAME
badsect -- create files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
/etc/badsect bbdir sector ... DESCRIPTION
Badsect makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which provides a for- warding table for bad sectors to the driver; see bad144(8) for details. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard it is much preferable to use that method to isolate bad blocks, since the bad block forwarding makes the pack appear perfect, and such packs can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by this program is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect can't make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. On some disks, adding a sector which is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard DEC formatter. Thus to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard badsect may be used to good effect. Badsect is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount the file system, and change to its root directory. Make a directory BAD there. Run badsect giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all the bad sectors you wish to add. (The sector numbers must be relative to the beginning of the file system, but this is not hard as the system reports relative sector numbers in its console error mes- sages.) Then change back to the root directory, unmount the file system and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. Badsect works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call, creating an illegal file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. When it is discovered by fsck it will ask ``HOLD BAD BLOCK ?'' A posi- tive response will cause fsck to convert the inode to a regular file containing the bad block. SEE ALSO
bad144(8), fsck(8), format(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Badsect refuses to attach a block that resides in a critical area or is out of range of the file system. A warning is issued if the block is already in use. BUGS
If more than one sector which comprise a file system fragment are bad, you should specify only one of them to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files actually cover all the sectors in a file system fragment. HISTORY
The badsect command appeared in 4.1BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution June 5, 1993 4th Berkeley Distribution