Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Monitoring progress of a process in Linux server Post 302897293 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 12th of April 2014 11:01:38 PM
Old 04-13-2014
All of that data is available in the /proc "filesystem" which is really a kernel maintained readonly dataset that has tons of information.

Since what you need is spread acoss several /proc files consider this primer on /proc
/proc

Note that if this is, for example, Oracle RedHat (or some other flavors of Linux) there are differences in what is or is not supported. Compared to the link above.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Server Monitoring Script !!!

I am the Linux Admin in my organisation and need to write a shell script which will monitor the machine statistics every day and will send a consolidated report to me on my email id / will display the output into a file. Does anyone have such kind of script fulfilling this kind of purpose? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

process monitoring

hi all, i would like to write the shell script to monitoring the processing, but if i passing the parameter the number of process is incorrect how to slove it? many thx got the correct number of process as following script: ===========================================================... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to show progress bar for a running process

Hi, I have 2 shell scripts ,one for taking hot backup of oracle Database while other is for progress bar. But I don't have an idea hoe should I incorporate the shell script of progress bar in my hot backup code . Please help. My shell script for hot backup is as below: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in script to automate the daily monitoring process of UNIX server and it's proc

hi friends, I am trying to automate the daily monitoring process of UNIX server and it's processes. the script are below i executed the above script using ksh -x monitortest1.sh in root login . It shows error at some lines . 1. i logged in using root ,but it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring awk script progress

Is there a way to have awk output its regular output to a file and some other stuff to a log file to monitor progress? ie: print first field of a file and for every 100000 lines dealt with, print time in file.log (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

HELP - Resource/Performance Monitoring Script - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server

Hi all, ------------------------- Linux OS Version/Release: ------------------------- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga) Linux <hostname> 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 23 10:52:51 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I have a server that hosts 30+ Oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

RHEL Linux process activity monitoring tool from windows 7 system

I have 2 RHEL 5.9 system where customized applications are running. These 2 servers are with in a network (LAN) with each other.One application in say Server 1 can talk to another application in server 2 and vice versa. The applications are exchanging data among each other. Recently I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring processes in parallel and process log file after process exits

I am writing a script to kick off a process to gather logs on multiple nodes in parallel using "&". These processes create individual log files. Which I would like to filter and convert in CSV format after they are complete. I am facing following issues: 1. Monitor all Processes parallelly.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
5 Replies
NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)					     Linux Programmer's Manual					     NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)

NAME
network_namespaces - overview of Linux network namespaces DESCRIPTION
Network namespaces provide isolation of the system resources associated with networking: network devices, IPv4 and IPv6 protocol stacks, IP routing tables, firewall rules, the /proc/net directory (which is a symbolic link to /proc/PID/net), the /sys/class/net directory, various files under /proc/sys/net, port numbers (sockets), and so on. A physical network device can live in exactly one network namespace. When a network namespace is freed (i.e., when the last process in the namespace terminates), its physical network devices are moved back to the initial network namespace (not to the parent of the process). A virtual network (veth(4)) device pair provides a pipe-like abstraction that can be used to create tunnels between network namespaces, and can be used to create a bridge to a physical network device in another namespace. When a namespace is freed, the veth(4) devices that it contains are destroyed. Use of network namespaces requires a kernel that is configured with the CONFIG_NET_NS option. SEE ALSO
nsenter(1), unshare(1), clone(2), veth(4), proc(5), sysfs(5), namespaces(7), user_namespaces(7), brctl(8), ip(8), ip-address(8), ip- link(8), ip-netns(8), iptables(8), ovs-vsctl(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2018-02-02 NETWORK_NAMESPACES(7)