Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Virtual disks are not showing up in LDom Post 302897073 by unblockable on Thursday 10th of April 2014 07:22:20 PM
Old 04-10-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasant
I see you are using slice0 of the disk.

You will need to specify the option for it :
Code:
ldm add-vdsdev options=slice /dev/dsk/c0t5000CCA015354CB4d0s0 vol5@primary-vds0

Or use the entire disk without the slice option :
Code:
ldm add-vdsdev /dev/dsk/c0t5000CCA015354CB4d0s2 vol5@primary-vds0

Hm I'm curious, is the options=slice required? Because I was able to add the first disk (or first slice rather?) successfully without it.

Quote:
I would also advice to create vds for every ldom, not use primary for everything.
Ah yes, this is probably good advice. I am a novice administrator, and I was just learning as I read the instructions. Moving forward I shall try to keep this in mind.

Quote:
The third disk with 'weird' partition table is actualy entire disk added (s2) and during the creation of the zpool inside of ldom no slice as used (c2d0 for instance).

This enables you to import the zpool on both architectures (x86 or sparc).
Ah, interesting. I wasn't aware of this, and I just used the format -e option to write an SMI label to disk to it matched the formatting of my other disks. I am not sure the purpose of this, I was simply trying to match the layout of my other disks...

After I labeled "c0t5000CCA0153596A4d0" with an SMI label, I was able to add slice 0 "c0t5000CCA0153596A4d0s0" as a virtual disk to my VM, and it showed up as a third disk. I am still unsure why my "c0t5000CCA0153542A4d0s0" did not show up properly as a virtual disk inside my VM, I will investigate later. But as for now it looks like my task is complete.

Thank you.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

LVM (volume manager) and virtual disks

:eek: Hi guys, I'm pulling my hair out over this one. I am trying to set up a virtual server environment. ( I am using VirtualBox, but I think this is irrelevant to this problem.) I have downloaded a pre-packaged Linux virtual disk, with which I have successfully started a virtual instance of a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
4 Replies

2. Solaris

How to create virtual disks in solaris

Hi, I have installed oracle 10g release 2 on solaris 10 Zone. I want to configure ASM in local Zone using virtual disks in place of real disks. I have configured ASM using virtual disks in place real disk in Solaris 10 Global zone. How i can do in local Zone Kindly guid me with proper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Disks aren't showing up in Solaris/OBP

(Disclaimer: I put this in the "dummies" section because I am a UNIX noob and I'm not really sure what I'm doing so I felt like it belonged here. If it belongs in the Solaris section I can delete this and post it there:b:) I was handed over an Oracle SPARC T3-1 machine at work, with 8 physical... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
15 Replies

4. Red Hat

Java process showing high virtual memory

Hi All, I have a java process which is showing high virtual memory utilization in client server. But the same process is showing comparitively lesser virtual memory consumption. I understand that virtual memory shown is not of much importance for the general user in normal condition, my client... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mritusmoi
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Virtual Switch in Solaris LDOM

Hi, Our existing environment is having primary domain and 3 guest domains are running over it. See the attached image. Now we want to add a new primary virtual switch and move LDOM3 to be connected with new primary switch. So, I am not sure how to achieve this because. If I remove the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: praveensharma21
7 Replies

6. Solaris

LDOM Solaris 11 add Network vsw (Virtual switch)

hello, I have a problem when configuring the network at the LDOM level, on a SPARC-Enterprise-T5120 machine The network goes through VLAN 503 (level, network tagget) And I need to give network to the guest domain: madarrwebsol10 I hope someone can bring some light .... Excuse my English ... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wittman
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Missing ASM Disks in Solaris 11.3 LDOM

Hi Guys, Just a quick question hopefully someone will have seen this before and will be able to enlighten me. I have been doing some Infrastructure Verification Testing and one of the tests was booting the primary domain from alternate disks, this all went well - however on restarting one of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Virtual Terminal (Console) showing non-global zone?

Hope that everyone is doing well today. Happy Friday. I am running an illumos (opensolaris) based system which is like SmartOS, OmniOS, and OpenIndiana I have been searching all over the Internet into various documents and forms that have to do with Solaris, Opensolaris, Illumos, and SmartOS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LonnieTC
3 Replies
cmdk(7D)							      Devices								  cmdk(7D)

NAME
cmdk - common disk driver SYNOPSIS
cmdk@target, lun : [ partition | slice ] DESCRIPTION
The cmdk device driver is a common interface to various disk devices. The driver supports magnetic fixed disks and magnetic removable disks. The block-files access the disk using the system's normal buffering mechanism and are read and written without regard to physical disk records. There is also a "raw" interface that provides for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buffer. A sin- gle read or write call usually results in one I/O operation; raw I/O is therefore considerably more efficient when many bytes are transmit- ted. The names of the block files are found in /dev/dsk; the names of the raw files are found in /dev/rdsk. I/O requests to the magnetic disk must have an offset and transfer length that is a multiple of 512 bytes or the driver returns an EINVAL error. Slice 0 is normally used for the root file system on a disk, slice 1 as a paging area (for example, swap), and slice 2 for backing up the entire fdisk partition for Solaris software. Other slices may be used for usr file systems or system reserved area. Fdisk partition 0 is to access the entire disk and is generally used by the fdisk(1M) program. FILES
/dev/dsk/cndn[s|p]n block device (IDE) /dev/rdsk/cndn[s|p]n raw device (IDE) where: cn controller n dn lun n (0-7) sn UNIX system slice n (0-15) pn fdisk partition(0) /kernel/drv/cmdk 32-bit kernel module. /kernel/drv/amd64/cmdk 64-bit kernel module. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), mount(1M), lseek(2), read(2), write(2), readdir(3C), scsi(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), dkio(7I) SunOS 5.10 9 Oct 2004 cmdk(7D)