Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Using touch to create a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using touch to create a file Post 302896682 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 8th of April 2014 04:21:34 PM
Old 04-08-2014
One character that cannot be part of a filename is '/' (slash)....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I make "touch" create executable files by manipulating umask?

I'm getting to grips with this concept of the umask. What I thought was, setting umask uga+rwx would result in creating files with all permissions for everyone. Seems not to be the case though. Read and write bits get set, but not the execute bit. Is there some gap in my understanding, or is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tphyahoo
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Touch all files and subdirectories (recursive touch)

I have a folder with many subdirectories and i need to set the modified date to today for everything in it. Please help, thanks! I tried something i found online, find . -print0 | xargs -r0 touch but I got the error: xargs: illegal option -- r (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Touch New File with First Line

I am interested in creating a new file from a KSH script where the first line is printed. I know how to create the file, but creating with a pre-defined first line is what I need help with. My code below creates the file, but how do I accomplish that and do it so that when I open that txt file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SCP and then touch .done file

All, I am looking to make a script and wanted to see if anyone could help out. The script will go through the directory, put a timestamp, transfer it and then create a touch $file.done script HEre is my initial idea, but I don't think it will work properly. Anyone able to help me refine it... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Aging file not use and touch

Hi all, Need advice from expect, below is my scripts to find the file not use and touch in storage and other directory. This scripts divide by: 1. 30 days 2. 90 days 3. 180 days 4. 1 years 5. 3 years 6. 5 years Then count total size in GB from 6 each category. Sample my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheikh76
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed touch command to create a file in the following format

needed touch command to create a file in the following format touch a_yyyymmdd_hhmmss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Protect a file against touch

Afternoon, the stat command is used against a file to ascertain date created and last modification time. However a different individual if they so chose could use the touch command to alter the date created or modification time. Is there anyway to protect against this ? thanks Steve (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sevans29
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a trigger file using touch

Hi, I need to create a trigger file named "start" at 4 pm daily . Once this file is created , another process would be initiated. How do i do it using touch command in unix ? My script that should have touch command shall be present in a dir /app/user/script while the trigger file should be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrat dutta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command / Script to create touch file in destination server

Hello Team, Is there any Linux command / script available so that, I could create a simple 0 byte file in destination server by issuing the command from source server. If yes, Could you please let me know the possible solutions. in other words I just want to create a touch file in my home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhuraju
1 Replies
FNMATCH(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							FNMATCH(3)

NAME
fnmatch - match filename or pathname SYNOPSIS
#include <fnmatch.h> int fnmatch(const char *pattern, const char *string, int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fnmatch() function checks whether the string argument matches the pattern argument, which is a shell wildcard pattern. The flags argument modifies the behavior; it is the bitwise OR of zero or more of the following flags: FNM_NOESCAPE If this flag is set, treat backslash as an ordinary character, instead of an escape character. FNM_PATHNAME If this flag is set, match a slash in string only with a slash in pattern and not by an asterisk (*) or a question mark (?) metacharacter, nor by a bracket expression ([]) containing a slash. FNM_PERIOD If this flag is set, a leading period in string has to be matched exactly by a period in pattern. A period is considered to be leading if it is the first character in string, or if both FNM_PATHNAME is set and the period immediately follows a slash. FNM_FILE_NAME This is a GNU synonym for FNM_PATHNAME. FNM_LEADING_DIR If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is considered to be matched if it matches an initial segment of string which is followed by a slash. This flag is mainly for the internal use of glibc and is only implemented in certain cases. FNM_CASEFOLD If this flag (a GNU extension) is set, the pattern is matched case-insensitively. RETURN VALUE
Zero if string matches pattern, FNM_NOMATCH if there is no match or another nonzero value if there is an error. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.2. The FNM_FILE_NAME, FNM_LEADING_DIR, and FNM_CASEFOLD flags are GNU extensions. SEE ALSO
sh(1), glob(3), scandir(3), wordexp(3), glob(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2000-10-15 FNMATCH(3)