Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simple if script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simple if script Post 302896601 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 8th of April 2014 09:43:09 AM
Old 04-08-2014
You're using the wrong quotes for this. And, a non-portable comparison. Try:
Code:
if [ "$5" = '0' ]
  then
    touch /u03/backups/backup_ended.flag
else
    touch /u03/backups/backup_failed.flag
fi

Last edited by Don Cragun; 04-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: Add another fix.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with simple script

I need a script that checks to see if ypserv is running, and if not it will restart yp. I have a ypslave that is running Sol9, and the ypsrv daemon is dieing, I want to create a cron job that periodicly checks to see if it's running, and if it see's that it isn't, it will re-start the daemon (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdel80
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script

Here is the script that i am trying to run. I get an error and i can't figure out what is the problem. #!/bin/bash echo "What is your name" read NAME if ; then echo "My name is the same" esle echo "You have a nice name" fi (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xplod4202
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple script

Hi, I just need a shell script to find out the processes taking longer time...(Unix/Linux) Urgent response needed.. Rajiv (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajivn786
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple script

I am trying to print my script arguments, but i am stuck at the arrow pointed lines..please help #!/bin/bash echo "Number of arguments $#" count=1 while do echo ${$count} <======================== count = $(expr $count +1) <================== done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chvs2000
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script

I have a script that will check for integer line by line and if it encounter any blank space will echo it: Below the script: #!/bin/ksh while read i do echo "Value is $i" count=`expr substr "$i" 1 3` echo $count if && then echo "Matched" else echo "Blank Space Found" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script to do so?

hi guys, i am a noob to shell scripting, and i would like to run a simple script, that could simply do the following: 1. SFTP to a remote server/path...and download the newest *.gz backup file on that server. (there are many *.gz files in that folder, i simply need the latest one) 2. locally... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Confidence
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Script Can u help please?

I have a file that contains these lines User ID Username -------- ---------- 7738626,zrazak 7783535,jvincigu 7805567,ldrennan 7805583,mtsakama I need to sort the names alphabetically How can I sort the lines based on the user names ? I would appreciate a quick reply anyone ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

9. Linux

How to execute a simple select script using a shell script?

Hi team, I have two select statements and need to run them using SYSDBA user select * from temp_temp_seg_usage; select segment_name, tablespace_name, bytes/ (1024*1024) UsedMb from dba_segments where segment_name='TEMP_TEMP_SEG_USAGE'; Need to run this using a shell script say named... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pamsy78
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script

I have to pull files from a customers cloud directory to our cloud directory periodically, the customer has the files in the new-version(nver) folder; which I am pulling via a python script. (python nver.py) customers cloud location: s3://custbucket/$nver/files Our cloud location:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
0 Replies
TOUCH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  TOUCH(1)

NAME
touch -- change file access and modification times SYNOPSIS
touch [-A [-][[hh]mm]SS] [-acfhm] [-r file] [-t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]] file ... DESCRIPTION
The touch utility sets the modification and access times of files. If any file does not exist, it is created with default permissions. By default, touch changes both modification and access times. The -a and -m flags may be used to select the access time or the modification time individually. Selecting both is equivalent to the default. By default, the timestamps are set to the current time. The -t flag explicitly specifies a different time, and the -r flag specifies to set the times those of the specified file. The -A flag adjusts the val- ues by a specified amount. The following options are available: -A Adjust the access and modification time stamps for the file by the specified value. This flag is intended for use in modifying files with incorrectly set time stamps. The argument is of the form ``[-][[hh]mm]SS'' where each pair of letters represents the following: - Make the adjustment negative: the new time stamp is set to be before the old one. hh The number of hours, from 00 to 99. mm The number of minutes, from 00 to 59. SS The number of seconds, from 00 to 59. The -A flag implies the -c flag: if any file specified does not exist, it will be silently ignored. -a Change the access time of the file. The modification time of the file is not changed unless the -m flag is also specified. -c Do not create the file if it does not exist. The touch utility does not treat this as an error. No error messages are displayed and the exit value is not affected. -f Attempt to force the update, even if the file permissions do not currently permit it. -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the times of the link itself rather than the file that the link points to. Note that -h implies -c and thus will not create any new files. -m Change the modification time of the file. The access time of the file is not changed unless the -a flag is also specified. -r Use the access and modifications times from the specified file instead of the current time of day. -t Change the access and modification times to the specified time instead of the current time of day. The argument is of the form ``[[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]'' where each pair of letters represents the following: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). YY The second two digits of the year. If ``YY'' is specified, but ``CC'' is not, a value for ``YY'' between 69 and 99 results in a ``CC'' value of 19. Otherwise, a ``CC'' value of 20 is used. MM The month of the year, from 01 to 12. DD the day of the month, from 01 to 31. hh The hour of the day, from 00 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 00 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 00 to 61. If the ``CC'' and ``YY'' letter pairs are not specified, the values default to the current year. If the ``SS'' letter pair is not specified, the value defaults to 0. EXIT STATUS
The touch utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The obsolescent form of touch, where a time format is specified as the first argument, is supported. When no -r or -t option is specified, there are at least two arguments, and the first argument is a string of digits either eight or ten characters in length, the first argument is interpreted as a time specification of the form ``MMDDhhmm[YY]''. The ``MM'', ``DD'', ``hh'' and ``mm'' letter pairs are treated as their counterparts specified to the -t option. If the ``YY'' letter pair is in the range 39 to 99, the year is set to 1939 to 1999, otherwise, the year is set in the 21st century. SEE ALSO
utimes(2) STANDARDS
The touch utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. HISTORY
A touch utility appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
April 28, 1995 BSD