Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using symbolic link for database MySQL in CentOS, not update sizing Post 302896526 by bakunin on Tuesday 8th of April 2014 02:53:12 AM
Old 04-08-2014
First: you should put your database not in "/usr" - never! "/var" is only slightly better, but still not right. Create a directory "/opt", then create a filesystem "/opt/mydatabase" (or whatever - name is up to you), mount this filesystem and put your database there. The reason is that every directory in UNIX has its fixed contents and "/usr" is for the operation system. Search for "file system hierarchy standard" on the net and you will find a document explaining all this in detail. FHS is not a standard, but a very good guideline.

Second: a database is a collection of files, managed by some software. The files (what the OS reports as size) are of fixed size and are preallocated (mostly for reasons of speed). If this preallocated space is filled with something or not does not make any difference for the OS. PhpMyAdmin is a tool which queries the database software and this will tell you how much content is really stored within this space. But if you delete (or add) content this will change nothing for the size of the preallocated files the database uses. This is why the OS and PhpMyAdmin report different sizes for the database. To reduce the space the OS sees you need to shrink the "tablespaces" (i hope it is called this in MySQL too - this is the name in Oracle) to release some of the preallocated space.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

download an html file via wget and pass it to mysql and update a database

CAN I download an html file via wget and pass it to mysql and update a database field? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mapasainfo
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

How to remove symbolic link?

this is my current code, # ln -s /lib64/ # ls -lrth total 80K -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 12K Jul 6 2012 post-install -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 552 Jul 6 2012 post-install.log -rw-------. 1 root root 1.5K Aug 21 2012 anaconda-ks.cfg drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4.0K Aug 21 2012 Videos... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CentOS 6.8 with Rocks Cluster: ldconfig is not a symbolic link errors

Any help appreciated just logging in to this server which is a front end for Rocks Cluster 6.1.1. Getting the below errors: ldconfig ldconfig: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6 is not a symbolic link ldconfig: /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 is not a symbolic link ldconfig: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 is not a symbolic... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobbieTheK
3 Replies
grass-mysql(1grass)						Grass User's Manual					       grass-mysql(1grass)

NAME
grass-mysql - MySQL driver MySQL driver MySQL driver in GRASS MySQL database driver in GRASS enables GRASS to store vector attributes in MySQL server. Because vector attribute tables are created automaticaly when a new vector is written and the name of the table is the same as the name of the vector it is good practice to create a new database for each GRASS mapset. Creating a MySQL database A new database is created within MySQL: mysql> CREATE DATABASE mydb; See the MySQL manual for details. Driver and database name GRASS modules require 2 parameters to connect to a database. Those parameters are 'driver' and 'database'. For MySQL driver the parameter 'driver' should be set to value 'mysql'. The parameter 'database' can be given in two formats: Database name - in case of connection from localhost String of comma separated list of kye=value options. Supported options are: dbname - database name host - host name or IP address port - server port number Examples of connection parameters: db.connect driver=mysql database=mytest db.connect driver=mysql database='dbname=mytest,host=test.grass.org' Data types GRASS supports almost all MySQL data types with following limitations: Binary columns (BINARY, VARBINARY, TINYBLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, BLOB, LONGBLOB) are not not supported. If a table with binary col- umn(s) is used in GRASS a warning is printed and only the supported columns are returned in query results. Columns of type SET and ENUM are represented as string (VARCHAR). Very large integers in columns of type BIGINT can be lost or corrupted because GRASS does not support 64 bin integeres on most platforms. GRASS does not currently distinguish types TIMESTAMP and DATETIME. Both types are in GRASS interpreted as TIMESTAMP. Indexes GRASS modules automaticaly create index on key column of vector attributes table. The index on key column is important for performance of modules which update the attribute table, for example v.to.db, v.distance and v.what.rast. Privileges Because MySQL does not support groups of users and because only MySQL 'root' can grant privileges to other users GRASS cannot automaticaly grant select privileges on created tables to group of users. If you want to give privilege to read data from your mapset to other users you have to ask your MySQL server administrator to grant select privilege to them on the MySQL database used for that mapset. For example, to allow everybody to read data in from your database 'mydb': shell> mysql --user=root mysql mysql> GRANT SELECT ON mydb.* TO ''@'%'; Schemas Because MySQL does not support database schemas the parameter 'schema' of module db.connect should never be set to any value. If you set that parameter for MySQL driver GRASS will try to write tables to the specified schema which will result in errors. Groups MySQL does not support user groups. Any settings specified by 'group' parameter of module db.connect are ignored by GRASS for MySQL driver. SEE ALSO
db.connect, SQL support in GRASS GIS Credits Development of the driver was sponsored by Faunalia (Italy) as part of a project for ATAC. AUTHOR
Radim Blazek Last changed: $Date: 2011-02-07 18:59:50 +0100 (Mon, 07 Feb 2011) $ Help Index GRASS 6.4.2 grass-mysql(1grass)