Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to cat via ssh and sed at the same time.? Post 302896319 by Don Cragun on Sunday 6th of April 2014 03:16:53 PM
Old 04-06-2014
Have you tried:
Code:
sitename=$1
prodserver=$2
sed "s/changeme/$sitename/g" << EOF | ssh $prodserver "cat > /data/$sitename.conf"
<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerName dev.changeme

DocumentRoot /var/www/html/www.changeme/

<Directory /var/www/html/www.changeme/>
                Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                Allow from all
        </Directory>
        ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/dev.changeme-error.log
        LogLevel warn

CustomLog /var/log/httpd/dev.changeme-access.log combined

</VirtualHost>
EOF

---------------
Oops. I left behind an unneeded cat. The code has been fixed above.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 04-06-2014 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: Fix typo.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use cat command in sed pattern searching

Hi All, I have a file named pattern.dat which contains pattern like A1000090 250.00 250.00 i have one more file named test.dat in which this pattern is present. What i should do is, in test.dat after this pattern i should append comments. i used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sona
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

use of sed over cat to merge files

I have three files, basically: file 1 - one line header file 2 - big data (approx 80GB) file 3 - a one line trailer the existing process cats these together i.e cat file 1 file 2 file 3 however... I was thinking, surely it could be more efficient to insert the header (file 1) on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tr, sed, awk, cat or scripting

I need to change all Newline caracters (\12) to Fieldseparator(\34). tr -A '\12' '\34' <file1> file2 Replace all delete (\177) with Newline (\12) tr -A '\177' '\12' <file2> file3 Put the name of the file first in all rows. awk '{printf "%s\34%s\n", FILENAME,$0} file3 > file4 So far no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrKlint
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on cat with sed!

Hi All! I have a script having one statement like. cat xfile | sed 's/A/a/g' > xfile I have two boxes which have similar version of linux running but one is greater in speed compared to other. Lets say A is faster than B. A which is faster writes output as NULL B which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kbalaji_uk
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to pass sentence with SED and CAT

I have to pass a sentence in a file, the specs are as: cat run | sed 's/SRT/'$8'/g' | sed 's/plength/68/g' | sed 's/stcol/'$5'/g' | sed 's/encol/'$6'/g' | sed 's/brdtype/'$1'/g' | sed 's/brdtxt/'$3'/g' | sed 's/demotxt/Total '$2'/g' | sed 's/bantxt/ban_'$7'/g' | sed 's/validcodes/'$4'/g' > runx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilrakesh1984
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep or cat using sed

Is there a way using grep or cat a file to create a new file based on whether the first 9 positions of each record is less than 399999999? This is a fixed file format. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ski
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cat / sed process weird characters

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a shell script that process a log file. The log format is generally: (8 digit hex of unix time),(system ID),(state)\n My shell script gets the file from the web, saves it in a local text directory. I then want to change the hex to decimal, convert from unix time... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bencpeters
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

emulating cat in sed with q option

Hi, I am aware that the below are the equivalent in sed for cat command. sed ':' sed -n 'p' Is there any way to emulate the same using "q" option in sed? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat a file across ssh?

There is a file on a remote host that I want to read across an ssh tunnel. NOT copy... scp won't work here. And this file requires elevated permissions to read. 'ssh -t remotehost sudo cat /path/to/file' will prompt me for my sudo password and read out the file. But I'm coming up blank for a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue in executing cat (remote ssh)

Hi, I need to ssh remotely to a machine and cat a file assign the value to a variable Script: #!/bin/bash -x value=`cat config.txt` echo "$value" ssh me@xxx.host.com "valu='cat /export/home/test.md5'; echo "$valu"" | tee Execution: $ ./x ++ cat config.txt + value='touch me' +... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: close2jay
5 Replies
INNXBATCH(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      INNXBATCH(8)

NAME
innxbatch - send xbatched Usenet articles to a remote NNTP server SYNOPSIS
innxbatch [ -D ] [ -t timeout ] [ -T timeout ] [ -v ] host file ... DESCRIPTION
Innxbatch connects to the NNTP server at the specified host and sends it the specified xbatch files, using the XBATCH extension to the NNTP protocol. It is normally invoked by a script run out of cron(8) that uses shlock(1) to lock the host name, followed by a ctlinnd(8) command to flush the batchfile. Innxbatch normally blocks until the connection is made. To specify a timeout on how long to try to make the connection, use the ``-t'' flag. To specify the total amount of time that should be allowed for article transfers, use the ``-T'' flag. The default is to wait until an I/O error occurs, or all the articles have been transferred. If the ``-T'' flag is used, the time is checked just before an article is started; it will not abort a transfer that is in progress. Both values are measured in seconds. Each fileis removed after it has been successfully transferred. If a communication error such as a write(2) failure, or an unexpected reply from the remote server occurs, innxbatch will stop sending and leave all remaining files untouched for later retry. Upon exit, innxbatch reports transfer and CPU usage statistics via syslog(3). If the ``-v'' flag is used, they will also be printed on the standard output. Use the ``-D'' flag to print debugging information on standard error. This will show the protocol transactions between innxbatch and the NNTP server on the remote host. A sample newsfeeds(5) entry to produce appropriate xbatch files (thanks to Karsten Leipold <poldi@dfn.de>): nase :* :Tc,Wnb :/usr/lib/news/bin/batcher -p "(/bin/gzip > /var/spool/news/out.going/nase.$$)" nase.do.main A sample script to invoke innxbatch(8) is: #!/bin/sh ## SH script to send xbatches for a site, wrapped around innxbatch ## Invocation: ## sendxbatches.sh <sitename> <hostname> <xbatch file name> ... if [ $# -le 3 ] then echo "usage: $0 <sitename> <hostname> <xbatch file name>" exit 1 fi ## =()< . @<_PATH_SHELLVARS>@>()= . /usr/lib/news/innshellvars site="$1"; host="$2"; shift; shift ctlinnd flush "$site" && sleep 5 && exec $NEWSBIN/innxbatch -v -D "$host" $* HISTORY
Written by Stefan Petri <petri@ibr.cs.tu-bs.de>, modelled after innxmit(8) and the XBATCH patch for the nntp reference implementation. SEE ALSO
innxmit(8), nntpsend(8), ctlinnd(8), innd(8), newsfeeds(5), shlock(1). INNXBATCH(8)