Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to pass shell arguments into Nawk/awk Post 302896219 by RudiC on Saturday 5th of April 2014 01:18:04 PM
Old 04-05-2014
You could also use the ARGC and ARGV builtin variables:
Code:
awk 'BEGIN {for (i=0; i<ARGC; i++) print ARGV[i]}' Mapping_File filename length
awk
Mapping_File
filename
length

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass arguments to a function in a shell script?

Hi, I have two shell variables $t1 and $t2 which I need to pass to a function in a shell script. The function will do some computation with those two variables and echo the resultant. But I do not know how to pass teh arguments. The function written is f1() {...... ........ } What should... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: preetikate
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to pass arguments to shell script

Hi, I have a shell script called ftp.sh which is running continously in background. I tried passing arguments to this script but it did not worked out. Below is ftp.sh script. Please help me case $param in start) sleep_func "300" echo "!ksh $scr_ddir/ftp.sh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav20
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do we pass multiple arguments into awk

How do we pass multiple arguments into awk : name=john age=12 now i have to pass both age and name into awk.. how to do it? like : awk -v var=... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav192
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass command line arguments to awk

I am trying to pass max as a sommand line argument when I call awk. Made the modification in the BEGIN but it is not working I'm getting an error as below: awk: txsrx.awk:82: (FILENAME=jcd.tx FNR=4161) fatal: cannot open file `40' for reading (No such file or directory) Somehow it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[C SHELL] How to pass dynamic number of arguments

I have a task. The scenario is like this. I have a operation program (OPR1) , whose function is to simply double the (single)value it receives as input. I have to write a script to operate the OPR1 and save its output in a file. Later, I have to modify the script so as to be able to operate ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter to nawk from shell script

I need to parse log files using nawk, but I'm not able to pass script input argument (date) to nawk, for example: ------------ #!/bin/ksh read date nawk -F, '{if($1==date) print $4" "$5}' ------------- Is there a way to pass an argument to nawk from shell script. Many thanks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass nawk variable to shell within the same script?

Hi All, I tried googling but so far no luck, can someone tell me how pass the variable value used inside the nawk command to shell. In the below script i get the value of $c (without color: Total Executed: " c ") but the printf which is outside the nawk command doesn't print the value or it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass command line arguments to awk program?

#!/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS=":"; } { if ( $7 == "" ) { print $1 ": no password!"; } } I want to execute this program for a particular user to check for his password from the file /etc/passwd (as the input file) and the user details to be given... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sri.phani
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass Arguments to Command from Shell Script

Hi all, I am working on a project, in which I have to connect to Bluetooth low energy device. I am able to connect and do data transfer from command line. But I want to do from script Here is my script #!/bin/bash #sudo hcitool -i hci0 lescan sleep 1 sudo hcitool -i hci0 lecc --random... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nithin@embdes
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to pass arguments while running a Shell Script

Shell Script Gurus, I am writing a shell script which needs User ID's to pass as an Arguments in command line while executing. Can this be doable? I've never done this, If you give a sample script that would be helpful, Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekar777
1 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)