Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to understand awk script. Post 302896019 by Scrutinizer on Friday 4th of April 2014 02:42:38 AM
Old 04-04-2014
These are regular expressions.
* means zero or more spaces
\. and \$ mean a literal dot and a literal dollar sign
/ .... / these two slashes are not part of a regular expression, but rather demarcate it and are part of the awk syntax..

So for example the first regular expression used is
Code:
 *\$[1-9][0-9]*\.[0-9][0-9] *

With first character being a space..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand associative nature of awk arrays

About associative nature of awk arrays i'm still confused, not able to understand yet how array element can be accessed based on a string, I got one example at gawk manual to illustrate associative nature of awk arrays, it goes here: Codeawk ' # Print list of word frequencies { for (i = 1;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to understand a awk code

i am not able to understand the following code for awk: $awk -F"|" '{ kount++} >END { for (desig in kount) > print desig,kount }' emp.list the input file i.e. emp.list is :: 3432| p.k.agrwal |g.m |sales 4566|g.l.sharma |director|production 3433|r shah | g.m | production... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Unable to understand disk layout and where are the free space

Hi I am unable to understand the disk layout of one of my disk attached to v240. This is newly installed system from jumpstart. I am unable to see the free space on backup slice 2 and there are 0 to 8 slices listed when I run format and print the disk info, also there is no reference of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to understand Awk code.

Hi Guys, Can someone please explain this code to me. I could figure out it's adding and comparing two fields but I am not sure which ones. sort -t"|" -k3.1 /tmp/mpcashqc.xtr| awk -F"|" '{CHECKAMT+=$3;BATCHTOT=$4;\ items++}END{for(i in CHECKAMT) if (CHECKAMT!=BATCHTOT)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand ps output.

I m executing ps command and sorting it according to memory usage. Please find the output of the command. # ps aux --sort pmem USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 1 0.0 0.0 2060 624 ? Ss 01:54 0:00 init root 2 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to understand if condition

Hi geeks, I am trying to understand below if statement. can someone please explain me meaning of if condition. if ] then echo -e "1" fi Thanks Please use CODE tags. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
3 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand RAID PARTITION

Hi i am studying about raid partion.i am not able to understand RAID level 5. below is excerpt taken from tutorial. RAID level 5 are they trying to say that the will be one extra disk which contain all the data. let says there are 4 disk. out of 4 , 3 disk are used for storing data and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to understand the output of TRUSS command

Hi, I am trying to set ulimit for soft stack unlimited, but this is not taking effect, after tracing the ulimit -a unlimited command, the below output was generated, which i am unable to comprehend. Could any one help me with this? prcbap1-r10prod: truss -d ulimit -s unlimited Tue Dec 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NasirAbbasi
2 Replies
regex(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  regex(3)

Name
       re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler

Syntax
       char *re_comp(s)
       char *s;

re_exec(s)
       char *s;

Description
       The  subroutine	compiles  a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching.  The subroutine checks the argument string against
       the last string passed to

The subroutine returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an  error  message  is  returned.  If	is
       passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression.

The  subroutine returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled
       regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error).

The strings passed to both and may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by	nulls.	 The  regular  expressions
       recognized are described in the manual entry for given the above difference.

Diagnostics
       The subroutine returns -1 for an internal error.

The subroutine returns one of the following strings if an error occurs:

No previous regular expression
       Regular expression too long
       unmatched (
       missing ]
       too many () pairs
       unmatched )

See Also
       ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1)

regex(3)