Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unable to understand awk script. Post 302896019 by Scrutinizer on Friday 4th of April 2014 02:42:38 AM
Old 04-04-2014
These are regular expressions.
* means zero or more spaces
\. and \$ mean a literal dot and a literal dollar sign
/ .... / these two slashes are not part of a regular expression, but rather demarcate it and are part of the awk syntax..

So for example the first regular expression used is
Code:
 *\$[1-9][0-9]*\.[0-9][0-9] *

With first character being a space..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand associative nature of awk arrays

About associative nature of awk arrays i'm still confused, not able to understand yet how array element can be accessed based on a string, I got one example at gawk manual to illustrate associative nature of awk arrays, it goes here: Codeawk ' # Print list of word frequencies { for (i = 1;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unable to understand a awk code

i am not able to understand the following code for awk: $awk -F"|" '{ kount++} >END { for (desig in kount) > print desig,kount }' emp.list the input file i.e. emp.list is :: 3432| p.k.agrwal |g.m |sales 4566|g.l.sharma |director|production 3433|r shah | g.m | production... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: streetfi8er
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Unable to understand disk layout and where are the free space

Hi I am unable to understand the disk layout of one of my disk attached to v240. This is newly installed system from jumpstart. I am unable to see the free space on backup slice 2 and there are 0 to 8 slices listed when I run format and print the disk info, also there is no reference of... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to understand Awk code.

Hi Guys, Can someone please explain this code to me. I could figure out it's adding and comparing two fields but I am not sure which ones. sort -t"|" -k3.1 /tmp/mpcashqc.xtr| awk -F"|" '{CHECKAMT+=$3;BATCHTOT=$4;\ items++}END{for(i in CHECKAMT) if (CHECKAMT!=BATCHTOT)... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand ps output.

I m executing ps command and sorting it according to memory usage. Please find the output of the command. # ps aux --sort pmem USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 1 0.0 0.0 2060 624 ? Ss 01:54 0:00 init root 2 0.0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to understand if condition

Hi geeks, I am trying to understand below if statement. can someone please explain me meaning of if condition. if ] then echo -e "1" fi Thanks Please use CODE tags. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagnikam
3 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to understand RAID PARTITION

Hi i am studying about raid partion.i am not able to understand RAID level 5. below is excerpt taken from tutorial. RAID level 5 are they trying to say that the will be one extra disk which contain all the data. let says there are 4 disk. out of 4 , 3 disk are used for storing data and... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to understand the output of TRUSS command

Hi, I am trying to set ulimit for soft stack unlimited, but this is not taking effect, after tracing the ulimit -a unlimited command, the below output was generated, which i am unable to comprehend. Could any one help me with this? prcbap1-r10prod: truss -d ulimit -s unlimited Tue Dec 30... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NasirAbbasi
2 Replies
regcmp(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 regcmp(3)

NAME
regcmp, regex - Compile and execute regular expression LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc.so, libc. a) SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char *regcmp( const char *string1, ... /*, (char *)0 */); char *regex( const char *re, const char *subject, ... ); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: regcmp(), regex(): XPG4-UNIX Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Points to the string that is to be matched or converted. Points to a compiled regular expression string. Points to the string that is to be matched against re. DESCRIPTION
The regcmp() function compiles a regular expression consisting of the concatenated arguments and returns a pointer to the compiled form. The end of arguments is indicated by a null pointer. The malloc() function is used to create space for the compiled form. It is the responsibility of the process to free unneeded space so allocated. A null pointer returned from regcmp() indicates an invalid argument. The regex() function executes a compiled pattern against the subject string. Additional arguments of type char must be passed to receive matched subexpressions back. A global character pointer, __loc1, points to the first matched character in the subject string. The regcmp() and regex() functions support the simple regular expressions which are defined in the grep(1) reference page, but the syntax and semantics are slightly different. The following are the valid symbols and their associated meanings: The left and right bracket, asterisk, period, and circumflex symbols retain their meanings as defined in the grep(1) reference page. A dollar sign matches the end of the string; matches a new line. Used within brackets, the hyphen signifies an ASCII character range. For example [a-z] is equivalent to [abcd...xyz]. The - (hyphen) can represent itself only if used as the first or last character. For example, the character class expression []-] matches the characters ] (right bracket) and - (hyphen). A regular expression followed by a + (plus sign) means one or more times. For example, [0-9]+ is equivalent to [0-9][0-9]*. Integer values enclosed in {} braces indicate the number of times the pre- ceding regular expression can be applied. The value m is the minimum number and u is a number, less than 256, which is the maximum. The syntax {m} indicates the exact number of times the regular expression can be applied. The syntax {m,} is analogous to {m,infinity}. The + (plus sign) and * (asterisk) operations are equivalent to {1,} and {0,}, respectively. The value of the enclosed regular expression is returned. The value is stored in the (n+1)th argument following the subject argument. A maximum of ten enclosed regular expressions are allowed. The regex() function makes its assignments unconditionally. Parentheses are used for grouping. An operator, such as *, +, or {}, can work on a single character or a regular expression enclosed in parentheses. For example, (a*(cb+)*)$0. Since all of the symbols defined above are special characters, they must be escaped to be used as themselves. NOTES
The regcmp() and regex() interfaces are scheduled to be withdrawn from a future version of the X/Open CAE Specification. These interfaces are obsolete; they are guaranteed to function properly only in the C/POSIX locale and so should be avoided. Use the POSIX regcomp() interface instead of regcmp() and regex(). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the regcmp() function returns a pointer to the compiled regular expression. Otherwise, a null pointer is returned and errno may be set to indicate the error. Upon successful completion, the regex() function returns a pointer to the next unmatched character in the subject string. Otherwise, a null pointer is returned. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: grep(1) Functions: malloc(3), regcomp(3) Standards: standards(5) delim off regcmp(3)