Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SSH alternatives
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users SSH alternatives Post 302895923 by cero on Thursday 3rd of April 2014 10:14:49 AM
Old 04-03-2014
Do you know the reason why SSH will be disabled?
To me this sounds like the admin responsible for that machine does not want remote connections to be possible at operation system level. In this case you will not receive help here, not only because its against the forum rules (see forum rule #12), it also would not meet the ethical and professional standards of most users here.
If for some exotic reasons there is a technical problem with running SSH in your environment and you are looking for alternative connection techniques there are telnet and rsh. Both are considered outdated and insecure and are usually disabled by default on modern systems.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ASP alternatives

I have just found out that a project I have developed in ASP (ultradev) needs to be migrated to a unix server and won't be able to support asp. Can anyone point me in the right direction to see what my options are with Unix? I have never worked with or developed for a Unix box before. Also,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricki
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix Sort - Alternatives

Hi All, I want to sort a flat file which will contain millions of records based on a key/field. For this I want to use unix sort command and before that I want to make sure that unix sort command has any file size limitations. And also please let me know whether I have to change any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chprvkmr
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Alternatives for CLOCK_MONOTONIC

Hi, I need to develop timeout functionality in my code, which is not affected by system's time changes.Unfortunately I dont have CLOCK_MONOTONIC support in my OS. Are there any alternatives? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitks21
3 Replies

4. Linux

ntop/Nmon alternatives

Hi folks, Any folk has experience on ntop/Nmon ntop - network top and its spinoff NMON Welcome to nmon.net Nmon Nmon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia nmon for AIX and Linux Performance Monitoring IBM Wikis - AIX 5L Wiki - nmon A free tool to analyze AIX and Linux... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternatives utilities to rsync

Hi, I am using rsync to copy files and links from one server to other (backup server). The problem with rsync is that it is not copying the files and links in the order which i have mentioned. It is sorting in alphabetical order before it is copying the files and links. I want a utilty that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vvenu88
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Alternatives for sudo??

I am looking for an alternative for sudo in linux, where i need not type the password. OR is there any other version of 'growisofs', which can be executed under sudo??? As currently 'growisofs' refuses to start under sudo... Thanks in advance (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sony star
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed -f alternatives?

I have a list of items (control file) that I want to substitute in a text file, and it's BIG. The file has two items, the original, and the new: A B B C D E The file has something like 10,000 entries. So in the oldfile.txt, I'd like to basically make all these expression matched... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: twoblink
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternatives to Expect

Are there any other alternatives to using Expect script? Can functionality provided by Expect be achieved by any other scripting language? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: indianya
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command alternatives

Hi is there an alternative other than the find command to get the size of files which are 10 days older ? I already use a script with find command find . -mtime +10. However would want to have an alternative script to find the size of files which are over 10 days. Let me know if you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Builtin alternatives for several commands?

I'm adapting a BASH script to run with an absolute minimal amounts of Cygwin64 files so colleagues using Windows can use it without installing Cygwin. I am down to the following in /bin only (replacing cut with parameter substitution eliminated all needed things in /etc) bash.exe cygattr-1.dll... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies
dbclient(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dbclient(1)

NAME
dbclient - lightweight SSH2 client SYNOPSIS
dbclient [-Tt] [-p port] [-i id] [-L l:h:r] [-R l:h:r] [-l user] host [command] dbclient [ args ] [user1]@host1[/port1],[user2]@host2[/port2],... DESCRIPTION
dbclient is a SSH 2 client designed to be small enough to be used in small memory environments, while still being functional and secure enough for general use. If compiled with zlib support and if the server supports it, dbclient will always use compression. OPTIONS
-p port Remote port. Connect to port port on the remote host. Default is 22. -i idfile Identity file. Read the identity from file idfile (multiple allowed). -L [listenaddress]:listenport:host:port Local port forwarding. Forward the port listenport on the local host through the SSH connection to port port on the host host. -R [listenaddress]:listenport:host:port Remote port forwarding. Forward the port listenport on the remote host through the SSH connection to port port on the host host. -l user Username. Login as user on the remote host. -t Allocate a pty. -T Don't allocate a pty. -N Don't request a remote shell or run any commands. Any command arguments are ignored. -f Fork into the background after authentication. A command argument (or -N) is required. This is useful when using password authenti- cation. -g Allow non-local hosts to connect to forwarded ports. Applies to -L and -R forwarded ports, though remote connections to -R forwarded ports may be limited by the ssh server. -y Always accept hostkeys if they are unknown. If a hostkey mismatch occurs the connection will abort as normal. -A Forward agent connections to the remote host. dbclient will use any OpenSSH-style agent program if available ($SSH_AUTH_SOCK will be set) for public key authentication. Forwarding is only enabled if -A is specified. -W windowsize Specify the per-channel receive window buffer size. Increasing this may improve network performance at the expense of memory use. Use -h to see the default buffer size. -K timeout_seconds Ensure that traffic is transmitted at a certain interval in seconds. This is useful for working around firewalls or routers that drop connections after a certain period of inactivity. The trade-off is that a session may be closed if there is a temporary lapse of network connectivity. A setting if 0 disables keepalives. -I idle_timeout Disconnect the session if no traffic is transmitted or received for idle_timeout seconds. -J proxy_command Use the standard input/output of the program proxy_command rather than using a normal TCP connection. A hostname should be still be provided, as this is used for comparing saved hostkeys. -B endhost:endport "Netcat-alike" mode, where Dropbear will connect to the given host, then create a forwarded connection to endhost. This will then be presented as dbclient's standard input/output. Dropbear will also allow multiple "hops" to be specified, separated by commas. In this case a connection will be made to the first host, then a TCP forwarded connection will be made through that to the second host, and so on. Hosts other than the final destina- tion will not see anything other than the encrypted SSH stream. A port for a host can be specified with a slash (eg matt@martello/44 ). This syntax can also be used with scp or rsync (specifying dbclient as the ssh/rsh command). A file can be "bounced" through multiple SSH hops, eg scp -S dbclient matt@martello,root@wrt,canyons:/tmp/dump . Note that hostnames are resolved by the prior hop (so "canyons" would be resolved by the host "wrt") in the example above, the same way as other -L TCP forwarded hosts are. Host keys are checked locally based on the given hostname. ENVIRONMENT
DROPBEAR_PASSWORD A password to use for remote authentication can be specified in the environment variable DROPBEAR_PASSWORD. Care should be taken that the password is not exposed to other users on a multi-user system, or stored in accessible files. SSH_ASKPASS dbclient can use an external program to request a password from a user. SSH_ASKPASS should be set to the path of a program that will return a password on standard output. This program will only be used if either DISPLAY is set and standard input is not a TTY, or the environment variable SSH_ASKPASS_ALWAYS is set. AUTHOR
Matt Johnston (matt@ucc.asn.au). Mihnea Stoenescu wrote initial Dropbear client support Gerrit Pape (pape@smarden.org) wrote this manual page. SEE ALSO
dropbear(8), dropbearkey(8) http://matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html dbclient(1)