Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find a file based on pattern & return the filename if found? Post 302895885 by buster_t on Thursday 3rd of April 2014 06:10:18 AM
Old 04-03-2014
Thanks for the replies.

Again, I would need to return the first found filename back to the script caller.

For instance a program where I would assign the return value in a variable

E.g.
lv_filename = exec (findfile.sh); --[not unix]

any tips?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find filename based on file content

:confused: There is a flat file on my system which contains email addreses of people in my company. This file is utilized when sending notifications for various things. However nobody knows where this file is located or what it is named. The only thing we know is the email address of a user who... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kollerj
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the line no, where the particular pattern is not found

Hi, suppose i have a txt file containing thye following data 2012156|sb3|nwknjps|BAYONNE|NJ|tcg 201221|094|mtnnjprc:HACKENSACK|NJ|tcg 201222|wn3|mtnnjtc|HACKENSACK|NJ|tcg 2018164|ik4|mtnntc|JERSEY CITY|NJ|tcg 20123482|ik4|mtnnjpritc,JERSEY CITY|NJ|tcg... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
3 Replies

3. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete files based on specific MMDDYYYY pattern in filename

Hi Unix gurus, I am trying to remove the filenames based on MMDDYYYY in the physical name as such so that the directory always has the recent 3 files based on MMDDYYYY. "HHMM" is just dummy in this case. You wont have two files with different HHMM on the same day. For example in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: need to have egrep to return a text string if the search pattern has NOT been found

Hello all, after spending hours of searching the web I decided to create an account here. This is my first post and I hope one of the experts can help. I need to resolve a grep / sed / xargs / awk problem. My input file is just like this: ----------------------------------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash4ever
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find next line based on pattern, if it is similar pattern skip it

Hi, I am able to get next line if it is matching a particular pattern. But i need a way to skip if next line also matches same pattern.. For example: No Records No Records Records found got it Records found Now i want to find 'Records found' after 'No Records' pattern matches.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagpa531
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with ksh-to read ip file & append lines to another file based on pattern match

Hi, I need help with this- input.txt : L B white X Y white A B brown M Y black Read this input file and if 3rd column is "white", then add specific lines to another file insert.txt. If 3rd column is brown, add different set of lines to insert.txt, and so on. For example, the given... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest file based on the date in the filename

Hi, We've a list of files that gets created on a weekly basis and it has got a date and time embedded to it. Below are the examples. I want to find out how to get the latest files get the date and time stamp out of it. Files are PQR123.PLL.M989898.201308012254.gpg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file with a specific pattern for current sysdate & upon find email the details?

I need assistance with following requirement, I am new to Unix. I want to do the following task but stuck with file creation date(sysdate) Following is the requirement I need to create a script that will read the abc/xyz/klm folder and look for *.err files for that day’s date and then send an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
4 Replies
FEXECVE(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							FEXECVE(3)

NAME
       fexecve - execute program specified via file descriptor

SYNOPSIS
       #include <unistd.h>

int fexecve(int fd, char *const argv[], char *const envp[]);

Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)):

fexecve():
	   Since glibc 2.10:
	       _POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200809L
	   Before glibc 2.10:
	       _GNU_SOURCE

DESCRIPTION
       fexecve()  performs  the  same  task as execve(2), with the difference that the file to be executed is specified via a file descriptor, fd,
       rather than via a pathname.  The file descriptor fd must be opened read-only (O_RDONLY) or with the O_PATH flag and the	caller	must  have
       permission to execute the file that it refers to.

RETURN VALUE
       A  successful  call  to fexecve() never returns.  On error, the function does return, with a result value of -1, and errno is set appropri-
       ately.

ERRORS
       Errors are as for execve(2), with the following additions:

EINVAL fd is not a valid file descriptor, or argv is NULL, or envp is NULL.

ENOSYS The /proc filesystem could not be accessed.

VERSIONS
       fexecve() is implemented since glibc 2.3.2.

ATTRIBUTES
       For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7).

+----------+---------------+---------+
       |Interface | Attribute	  | Value   |
       |fexecve() | Thread safety | MT-Safe |

CONFORMING TO
       POSIX.1-2008.  This function is not specified in POSIX.1-2001, and  is  not  widely  available  on  other  systems.   It  is  specified	in
       POSIX.1-2008.

NOTES
       On  Linux  with	glibc  versions  2.26 and earlier, fexecve() is implemented using the proc(5) filesystem, so /proc needs to be mounted and
       available at the time of the call.  Since glibc 2.27, if the underlying kernel supports the execveat(2)	system	call,  then  fexecve()	is
       implemented using that system call, with the benefit that /proc does not need to be mounted.

The  idea  behind  fexecve() is to allow the caller to verify (checksum) the contents of an executable before executing it.  Simply opening
       the file, checksumming the contents, and then doing an execve(2) would not suffice, since, between the two steps, the filename, or a direc-
       tory prefix of the pathname, could have been exchanged (by, for example, modifying the target of a symbolic link).  fexecve() does not mit-
       igate the problem that the contents of a file could be changed between the checksumming and the call to fexecve(); for that,  the  solution
       is to ensure that the permissions on the file prevent it from being modified by malicious users.

The  natural  idiom  when  using fexecve() is to set the close-on-exec flag on fd, so that the file descriptor does not leak through to the
       program that is executed.  This approach is natural for two reasons.  First, it prevents file  descriptors  being  consumed  unnecessarily.
       (The  executed  program	normally has no need of a file descriptor that refers to the program itself.)  Second, if fexecve() is used recur-
       sively, employing the close-on-exec flag prevents the file descriptor exhaustion that would result from the fact  that  each  step  in  the
       recursion would cause one more file descriptor to be passed to the new program.	(But see BUGS.)

BUGS
       If  fd refers to a script (i.e., it is an executable text file that names a script interpreter with a first line that begins with the char-
       acters #!)  and the close-on-exec flag has been set for fd, then fexecve() fails with the error ENOENT.	This error occurs because, by  the
       time  the script interpreter is executed, fd has already been closed because of the close-on-exec flag.	Thus, the close-on-exec flag can't
       be set on fd if it refers to a script, leading to the problems described in NOTES.

SEE ALSO
       execve(2), execveat(2)

COLOPHON
       This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project.  A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and  the
       latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/.

Linux								    2017-09-15								FEXECVE(3)