Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Merge two strings by overlapped region Post 302895840 by yifangt on Wednesday 2nd of April 2014 07:31:04 PM
Old 04-02-2014
What I wanted is to concatenate two strings by joining the overlapping suffix of string1 and prefix of string2. The overlapping region is merged. Here is the entire program.
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>

#define MAXLEN 4096                            //Line 5, at this moment no string longer than 4096 is allowed.

//strmerg was from: http://effprog.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/concatenation-of-two-strings-omitting-overlapping-string/
char *strmerg(char *dst, char *src)                    //Line 8
{
    size_t dstLen = strlen(dst);
    size_t srcLen = strlen(src);

char *p = dst + dstLen + srcLen;            /* Line 13, Pointer to the end of the concatenated string */
    char *q = src + srcLen - 1;                    /* Line 14, Pointer to the last character of the src */
    char *r = dst + dstLen - 1;                    /* Line 15, Temp Pointer to the last character of the dst */
    char *end = r;                                /* Line 16, Permanent Pointer to the last character of the dst */
    *p = '\0';                                    /*terminating the concatened string with NULL character */

while (q >= src) 
{                                                /*Copy src in reverse */
    if (*r == *q) {                                /*Till it matches with the src, decrement r */
        r--;
    } else {
        r = end;
        if (*r == *q) {
        r--;
        }
    }

*p-- = *q--;
    }

while (r >= dst)                            /*Copy dst, ending with r */
    *p-- = *r--;

return p + 1;                                //pointer of string, i.e. the start of string
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)                    //Line 39
{
    const char *str1 = argv[1];                 //Line 41, Original two strings
    const char *str2 = argv[2];                    //Line 42, Original two strings
    char *str3;                                    //Line 43, resulting string

str1 = malloc(sizeof(char) * MAXLEN);        //Line 45, allocate memory
    str2 = malloc(sizeof(char) * MAXLEN);        //Line 46, allocate memory

if (argc != 3) {
    printf("Error! \nUsage: ./arg[0]=program argv[1]=string1 argv[2]=string2\n");
    exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
    }

strcpy(str1, argv[1]);                        //Line 53, 
    strcpy(str2, argv[2]);                        //Line 54, 

str3=strmerg(str1, str2);                    //Line 56,

printf("Input strings are: \nSeq1=%s\nSeq2=%s\n", str1, str2);
    printf("\nConcatenated string is: Seq_merged=%s\n", str3);
    printf("\nConcatenated string is: Seq_merged=%s\n", strmerg(str1, str2));
    return 0;
}

Two questions:
1a) Syntax related: accroding to the replies, what are the right way for Lines 8, 41, 42, & 43 (and probably within the strmerg() function, Lines 13, 14, 15 may need change too)?
Code:
./prog ACGTGatatat  atatGTGTGTGT  
Input strings are: 
Seq1=ACGTGACGTGatatatGTGTGTGT       //Extra ACGTG
Seq2=atatGTGTGTGT

Concatenated string is: Seq_merged=ACGTGatatatGTGTGTGT
Concatenated string is: Seq_merged=ACGTGACGTGatatatGTGTGTGT           //Extra ACGTG

1b)Similar to 1a) Syntax related: Lines 53, 54, & 56 that should be changed coordingly, especially Line 56;
2) Algorithm related: If the repetitive overlapping region in src is longer than those in dest, merged string is NOT correct!
Code:
./prog ACGTGatat   atatatGTGTGTGT  
Input strings are: 
Seq1=ACGTGACGTGatatatGTGTGTGT       //Extra ACGTG
Seq2=atatGTGTGTGT

Concatenated string is: Seq_merged=ACGTGatatatatGTGTGTGT
Concatenated string is: Seq_merged=ACGTGACGTGatatatatGTGTGTGT           //Extra ACGTG

This is a bug with the strmerg() function.
The extra ACGTG part in seq1 seems related to the const char * str1 delcaration, but I am not sure.

Thank you again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

stack region

how can i determine that what percentage of stack region is currently is used? (i am using tru64 unix) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakari
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Merge two strings not from files

str1="this oracle data base record" str2="one two three four five" Output: this one oracle two data three base four record five str1 and str2 have the same column but they are not fixed columns. I can do it with "paste" but I do not want to create file everytime the script runs from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: buddyme
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best practice - determining what region you are on

Hello all, I have a question about what you think the best practice is to determine what region you are running on when you have a system setup with a DEV/TEST, QA, and PROD regions running the same scripts in all. So, when you run in DEV, you have a different directory structure, and you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rediranch
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Region between lines

How can I find the regions between specific lines? I have a file which contains lines like this: chr1 0 17388 0 chr1 17388 17444 1 chr1 17444 17599 2 chr1 17599 17601 1 chr1 17601 569791 0 chr1 569791 569795 1 chr1 569795 569808 2 chr1 569808 569890 3 chr1 569890 570047 4 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: linseyr
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overlapped genomic coordinates

Hi, I would like to know how can I get the ID of a feature if its genomic coordinates overlap the coordinates of another file. Example: Get the 4th column (ID) of this file1: chr1 10 100 gene1 chr2 3000 5000 gene2 chr3 200 1500 gene3 if it overlaps with a feature in this file2: chr2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fadista
1 Replies

6. AIX

Change lv REGION in HDISK1

Dears my rootvg is missed up i can not extend the /opt as soon as i try to extend the Filesystem its give me that there is not enough space . as there any way to change the REGION of the LVs in HDISK1 ? lspv -p hdisk0 hdisk0: PP RANGE STATE REGION LV NAME TYPE ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

8. Programming

Perl script to merge cells in column1 which has same strings, for all sheets in a excel workbook

Perl script to merge cells ---------- Post updated at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:54 AM ---------- I am using below code to read files from a dir and print to excel. open(my $in, '<', $file) or die "Could not open file: $!"; my $rowCount = 0; my $colCount = 0;... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jack_Bruce
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge strings from a file into a template

I am preparing a morphological grammar of Marathi to be placed in open-source. I have two files. The first file called Adverbs contains a whole list of words, one word per line A sample is given below: आधी इतक इतपत उलट एवढ ऐवजी कड कडनं कडल कडील कडून कडे करता करिता खाल (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge strings with ignore case

I have a bi-lingual database of a large number of dictionaries. It so happens that in some a given string is in upper case and in others it is in lower case. An example will illustrate the issue. toll Tax=पथ-कर Toll tax=राहदारी कर toll tax=टोल I want to treat all three instances of toll tax... (3 Replies)
3 Replies