Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users VxVM breaking mirror for migrating storage Post 302895648 by keelba on Tuesday 1st of April 2014 02:51:01 PM
Old 04-01-2014
I'm not sure why it matters but these are Solaris 10 servers moving from a Storagetek array (just barely more than JBOD) to an Hitachi HUS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Breaking Mirror

Can some one point this UNIX newbie to a web site or directions on the steps needed to break a mirror in HP-UNIX to change a bad hard drive. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: egress1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Breaking mirror for patches, sun/os 5.9

Hi, Going to be applying patches to Sun prod (dev 1st) boxes soon, I'm going to break the mirror's on 3 file systems on the root disk prior to that (/, /var, /swap),then run 9_Recommended. Then, run it for a day or 2 before re-syncing the mirrors. But, what if I want to backout of this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 - breaking of mirror and change new hard disk

Hi, am a newbie at solaris. Need advice and help on this. 1) How do I break the mirror between 2 hard disks. (wish to keep 1 good hard disk as backup) 2) After remove 1 hard disk and put in new hard disk, how do I initialise or fomat the new hard disk? 3) How do I put back the backup... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chongkls77
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Migrating from RHEL LVM to VxVM

Hiya, Is there a known method from converting LVM data to VxVM data.. ie we have a load of local and SAN (HPDM) mounts on RHEL 4u5/5u1 servers which are now required to be clustered with SFS (VxFS,VxVM,CFS,VCS etc) I've come across the vxvmconvert, but thought that was HP-UX only? Many... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
0 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Migrating from RHEL LVM to VxVM

Hiya, Is there a known method from converting LVM data to VxVM data.. ie we have a load of local and SAN (HPDM) mounts on RHEL 4u5/5u1 servers which are now required to be clustered with SFS (VxFS,VxVM,CFS,VCS etc) I've come across the vxvmconvert, but thought that was HP-UX only? Many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsupplies
3 Replies

6. AIX

IBM SAN Storage DS4700 - Copy Mirror Flashcopy

Hello, Does anyone know how to copy SAN Storage logical disks from IBM TotalStorage Software. I have a SAN Logical Disk of 200GB mounted on my AIX LPAR_1 via fibre channel fcs0 I would like to make an exact copy of the SAN Logical Disk from IBM totalStorage and mount it on AIX LPAR_2 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

breaking a hard drive mirror

Hey guys i have a machine running redhat enterprise 3.8 (i believe) and it has two hard drives that are mirrored. what would i have to do to get them to act as two seperate hard drives so i have 120gb capacity total as opposed to just 60? also, what would i do if i just wanted to take one of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacman529
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Unable to boot from mirror disk on x86 server configured under VxVM

Hi, Can you help me on booting x86 server configured under VxVM. Server boots fine normally from both the disks but if I try to boot server from mirror disk without starting veritas, then it does not boot. vxplex -g rootdg dis var-02 vxplex -g rootdg dis swapvol-02 vxplex -g rootdg dis... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: milindphanse604
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Migrating an Oracle database storage - REDHAT4

e have a RHEL4 server with an Oracle 10 ( RAC ) are migrating storage bank records. The copy is made by the storage they make a copy of the level of disk all blocks are copied and the file permissions. Problems we had Initially the Cluster service was not rising due to absence of OCR disks... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fausto.ncc1701
0 Replies

10. AIX

Migrating LUNs to new storage array

All, I have a AIX server with multiple volumes and I need to move them from a legacy storage SAN to a new SAN. We are concerned because to use mirrorvg as we would have to run on a single HBA (one on the old SAN and one on the new). Our other option is to use an appliance to do a block... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkchicago
3 Replies
vxvmconvert(1M) 														   vxvmconvert(1M)

NAME
vxvmconvert - convert LVM volume groups to VxVM disk groups SYNOPSIS
vxvmconvert DESCRIPTION
vxvmconvert is a menu-driven program to convert an HP Logical Volume Manger (LVM) configuration to a Veritas Volume Manager configuration. This man page is a brief overview of vxvmconvert. Refer to the Veritas Volume Manager Migration Guide for a detailed description before using the conversion procedure. The vxvmconvert script is interactive and prompts you for responses, supplying defaults where appropriate. There is a Help facility at every prompt. Enter a question mark (?) at a prompt to display a context-sensitive help message. With vxvmconvert you can identify LVM volume groups, list disks, analyze volume groups for conversion and complete the conversion of LVM volume groups to VxVM disk groups. LVM configurations are converted at the volume group level. All disks used in a volume group are converted together. You cannot use vxvm- convert to convert unused LVM disks (those not part of an LVM volume group) to VxVM disks. To convert unused LVM disks, use pvremove to take the disk out of LVM control, then initialize the disk for VxVM use by using vxdiskadm (see pvremove(1M) and vxdiskadm(1M) for more information). vxvmconvert changes disks within LVM volume groups to VxVM disks by replacing the areas of the disks used for LVM configuration information and with the equivalent VxVM volume configuration information. Portions of the disks used for user data, such as file systems and data- bases, are not affected by the conversion. The conversion process changes the names by which your system refers to the logical storage, so must be done offline. No applications can access data in the volume groups undergoing conversion. You must unmount file systems using those volumes and shut down any applications, such as databases, that might use the volumes directly. OPERATIONS
Analyze LVM Volume Groups for Conversion Use this operation to analyze one or more LVM volume groups for conversion to use by VxVM. The analysis checks for problems that can prevent the conversion from completing successfully. It calculates the space required to add volume group disks to a Volume Manager disk group. More than one volume group may be entered at the prompt. A grep-like pattern may be used to select multiple volume groups. See the ``Limitations in Conversion'' section in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more information. Convert LVM Volume Groups to VxVM Converts one or more LVM volume groups to one or more VxVM disk groups. This adds the disks to a VxVM disk group and replaces existing LVM volumes with VxVM volumes. vxvmconvert prompts you to name the VxVM disk group that replaces the LVM volume group being converted. A default is suggested at the prompt. For example, if you are converting a volume group vg08, vxvmconvert renames it as dg08. See to the sections ``Dealing with New Logical Volume Names'' and ``Tailoring your VxVM Configuration'' in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more information. Rollback from VxVM to LVM Rollback reverts VxVM disk groups to LVM volume groups. vxvmconvert provides a limited snapshot capability for the LVM metadata in a converted volume group. A snapshot is a simple protection method to use during conversion. Caution! Do not use this operation if the VxVM disk group was modified since the conversion. See to the section ``Restoring LVM Volume Groups and Disaster Recovery'' in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more informa- tion. List Disk Information Displays information about the disks on a system. You can obtain detailed information about a disk by entering a specific disk device address. List LVM Volume Group Information Listvg displays a list of LVM volume groups. You can obtain detailed information about an LVM volume group at a specific disk device address. SEE ALSO
pvremove(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M), vgrestore(1M), vxdisk(1M), vxdiskadd(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxintro(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Migration Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxvmconvert(1M)