Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX 0653-340 There is not enough memory available now Post 302895614 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 1st of April 2014 01:06:02 PM
Old 04-01-2014
I've hit this with AIX 5.1 (32-bit) as a client of RHEL 6.3 (64-bit)

It appears that you can play around as much as you like on the 32-bit side, but if the 64-bit server writes a new file when you have more than about 40 files in a directory, then the 32-bit side fails from then on until the number of files is reduced (by the 64-bit side, obviously) and then the client will work happily again.

It was suggested to us that the directory 'file' changes after a certain number of entries when edited on the 64-bit side and that the 32-bit side doesn't understand and goes off in a mad loop until eventually it exhausts memory (set by ulimit) and fails, returning control to the command line.

Our only way around this whilst we still have the need is to split up the files into sub directories such that any one of them has less than the limit of about 40 (for files, count any item, links, directories, pipe files etc.)

It's not great, but that's what we had to do. An alternate was to mount the NFS share the other way round, but that relies on disk space on the other side being available and changing any other clients to pick up the replacement 32-bit server. You could have a 32-bit server just to server NFS to all the others, but they are largely unsupported now.

Sorry it's not great news,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

0653-421 mksysb errot

When i am taking mksysb that time it is giving error 0653-421 error. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort: 0653-657 A write error occurred while sorting.

Hi I am trying to sort a file of 88075743B size. I am doing some processing on the file and after the processing is done; I get 2 files temp1 and temp2. I need to combine both these files as one and this final file should be sorted on fields 1 and 2. Space is the delimiter between fields. Record... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diksha2207
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP 9000 340 help

Hi all, I've salveaged a fully working HP 9000 340 model with hard disk and floppy drive. It boots up and I get to the login screen. I don't have any usernames or passwords. Anyone know any hacks for the version of Unix it runs? Is there anyway I can reset the root password? Via Floppy? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robbo007
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-SETUP(1)				     systemd-machine-id-setup				       SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-SETUP(1)

NAME
systemd-machine-id-setup - Initialize the machine ID in /etc/machine-id SYNOPSIS
systemd-machine-id-setup DESCRIPTION
systemd-machine-id-setup may be used by system installer tools to initialize the machine ID stored in /etc/machine-id at install time, with a provisioned or randomly generated ID. See machine-id(5) for more information about this file. If the tool is invoked without the --commit switch, /etc/machine-id is initialized with a valid, new machined ID if it is missing or empty. The new machine ID will be acquired in the following fashion: 1. If a valid D-Bus machine ID is already configured for the system, the D-Bus machine ID is copied and used to initialize the machine ID in /etc/machine-id. 2. If run inside a KVM virtual machine and a UUID is configured (via the -uuid option), this UUID is used to initialize the machine ID. The caller must ensure that the UUID passed is sufficiently unique and is different for every booted instance of the VM. 3. Similarly, if run inside a Linux container environment and a UUID is configured for the container, this is used to initialize the machine ID. For details, see the documentation of the Container Interface[1]. 4. Otherwise, a new ID is randomly generated. The --commit switch may be used to commit a transient machined ID to disk, making it persistent. For details, see below. Use systemd-firstboot(1) to initialize the machine ID on mounted (but not booted) system images. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --root=root Takes a directory path as argument. All paths operated will be prefixed with the given alternate root path, including the path for /etc/machine-id itself. --commit Commit a transient machine ID to disk. This command may be used to convert a transient machine ID into a persistent one. A transient machine ID file is one that was bind mounted from a memory file system (usually "tmpfs") to /etc/machine-id during the early phase of the boot process. This may happen because /etc is initially read-only and was missing a valid machine ID file at that point. This command will execute no operation if /etc/machine-id is not mounted from a memory file system, or if /etc is read-only. The command will write the current transient machine ID to disk and unmount the /etc/machine-id mount point in a race-free manner to ensure that this file is always valid and accessible for other processes. This command is primarily used by the systemd-machine-id-commit.service(8) early boot service. --print Print the machine ID generated or committed after the operation is complete. -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print a short version string and exit. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), machine-id(5), systemd-machine-id-commit.service(8), dbus-uuidgen(1), systemd-firstboot(1) NOTES
1. Container Interface https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ContainerInterface systemd 237 SYSTEMD-MACHINE-ID-SETUP(1)