Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading colums from a text file Post 302895435 by adamw on Monday 31st of March 2014 08:51:44 PM
Old 03-31-2014
Reading colums from a text file

Hi all,

I have a text file that has (4) columns. There are about 300 lines on this file. It is a plain text file. I am looking to write a simple script that will read each line from the file and generate another text file. The file looks something like this:

These are the columns:

StudentName Grade Class Teacher
StudentName2 Grade Class Teacher
StudentName300 Grade Class Teacher

What I need to do is extract the text from this file and re-arrange it into another file.

For example, this is how the new file would be arranged:

Teacher Class Grade StudentName

I can easily do it when a file has just a single line, like this:
-------------------
StudentName = `cat /fileName | awk '{print $1}'
Grade = `cat /fileName | awk '{print $2}'
Class = `cat /fileName | awk '{print $3}'
Teacher = `cat /fileName | awk '{print $4}'

echo "${Teacher} ${Class} ${Grade} ${StudentName}" >> /NewFile
-------------------

Where I am struggling is how would I do this for a file that has 300 lines instead of just one?

I am sure it is something simple, I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading text file

I have a text file with 50 munbers. I wanna read these numbers and append "@yahoo.com" and send emails to them using shell scripting.......... How do i read the inetegres from the text file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Shell] How make colums in text file ??

hi, i have little pb, i would like make a colums, but my server not recongize "\t" or i write wrong.... and iam little noobs and no know awk... #!/bin/ksh #---------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Fichiers : ctrl.sh et ctrl2005.txt ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: parola
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text from a file

Guys, I am trying to read text from a file, into arrays. The format of the file is: @DATABASE femotest @PACKAGE_SPECS /usr/home/oracle92/sosa/scripts/test.pks /usr/home/oracle92/sosa/scripts/rep.pks @PACKAGE_BODIES ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiquidChild
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from Text file.....

Hi Im MZ.... please help me with my requirements..... Requirement: I have a text file named information.txt which contains information about Oracle Instances, I want to fetch data's from that text file and want to display an output using shell script. Explanation : i.e. when I execute that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: user__user3110
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with reading text file

How can i have a while loop as follows while read inputline do <task> done < name_list and also store the values (delimited) on each line to temp variables so as to print them on screen as follows while read inputline do set name | cut -d "," -f1 name_list # #i know this is not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bilal05
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Reading Text from file

Hello, I am having a tough time reading data from an input text file. The input file has lines of data which is comma seperated. Each line represents a record/row, but unfortunately the data in the individual column/fields have spaces and `cat filename`is not returning entire line ( to read... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yajaykumar
4 Replies

7. Programming

reading a text file in c++

hello all , im trying to read a text file and display its contents. While i got the code running and the output was displayed perfectly for sometime , i started getting Abort(core dump) error . Am i missing something here ? im using HP-UX. #include <iostream.h> #include <fstream.h> #include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishy_85
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a value from another text file

I am having a text file best = 100 genre = 75 group = 53 . . and so on I need to read those values (100,75,53,...) from my shell script. I have to do the same function for all the variables. So in my script i used for loop to do the same. for { a=best b=100 } Video tutorial on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishorekumar87
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Xml file and print the values into the text file in columnwise?

hi guys, i want help... Reding XML file and print the values into the text file using linux shell script file as per below xml file <sequence> <Filename>aldorzum.doc</Filename> <DivisionCode>US</DivisionCode> <ContentType>Template</ContentType> <ProductCode>VIMZIM</ProductCode> </sequence>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
4 Replies

10. Programming

How to write in other language in text/xml file by reading english text/xml file using C++?

Hello Team, I have 2 files.one contains english text and another contains Japanese. so i have to read english text and replace the text with Japanesh text in third file. Basically, I need a help to write japanese language in text/xml file.I heard wstring does this.Not sure how do i write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SA_Palani
2 Replies
OSASCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      OSASCRIPT(1)

NAME
osascript -- execute OSA scripts (AppleScript, JavaScript, etc.) SYNOPSIS
osascript [-l language] [-i] [-s flags] [-e statement | programfile] [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
osascript executes the given OSA script, which may be plain text or a compiled script (.scpt) created by Script Editor or osacompile(1). By default, osascript treats plain text as AppleScript, but you can change this using the -l option. To get a list of the OSA languages installed on your system, use osalang(1). osascript will look for the script in one of the following three places: 1. Specified line by line using -e switches on the command line. 2. Contained in the file specified by the first filename on the command line. This file may be plain text or a compiled script. 3. Passed in using standard input. This works only if there are no filename arguments; to pass arguments to a STDIN-read script, you must explicitly specify ``-'' for the script name. Any arguments following the script will be passed as a list of strings to the direct parameter of the ``run'' handler. For example, in AppleScript: a.scpt: on run argv return "hello, " & item 1 of argv & "." end run % osascript a.scpt world hello, world. The options are as follows: -e statement Enter one line of a script. If -e is given, osascript will not look for a filename in the argument list. Multiple -e options may be given to build up a multi-line script. Because most scripts use characters that are special to many shell programs (for example, AppleScript uses single and double quote marks, ``('', ``)'', and ``*''), the statement will have to be correctly quoted and escaped to get it past the shell intact. -i Interactive mode: osascript will prompt for one line at a time, and print the result, if applicable, after each line. Any script sup- plied as a command argument using -e or programfile will be loaded, but not executed, before starting the interactive prompt. -l language Override the language for any plain text files. Normally, plain text files are compiled as AppleScript. -s flags Modify the output style. The flags argument is a string consisting of any of the modifier characters e, h, o, and s. Multiple modi- fiers can be concatenated in the same string, and multiple -s options can be specified. The modifiers come in exclusive pairs; if con- flicting modifiers are specified, the last one takes precedence. The meanings of the modifier characters are as follows: h Print values in human-readable form (default). s Print values in recompilable source form. osascript normally prints its results in human-readable form: strings do not have quotes around them, characters are not escaped, braces for lists and records are omitted, etc. This is generally more useful, but can introduce ambiguities. For example, the lists '{"foo", "bar"}' and '{{"foo", {"bar"}}}' would both be displayed as 'foo, bar'. To see the results in an unambiguous form that could be recompiled into the same value, use the s modifier. e Print script errors to stderr (default). o Print script errors to stdout. osascript normally prints script errors to stderr, so downstream clients only see valid results. When running automated tests, how- ever, using the o modifier lets you distinguish script errors, which you care about matching, from other diagnostic output, which you don't. SEE ALSO
osacompile(1), osalang(1), AppleScript Language Guide HISTORY
osascript in Mac OS X 10.0 would translate ' ' characters in the output to ' ' and provided c and r modifiers for the -s option to change this. osascript now always leaves the output alone; pipe through tr(1) if necessary. Prior to Mac OS X 10.4, osascript did not allow passing arguments to the script. Mac OS X April 24, 2014 Mac OS X