Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting textfile based on pattern and name new file after pattern Post 302895236 by mjf on Saturday 29th of March 2014 08:18:49 PM
Old 03-29-2014
luja, try the below as this seems to fit your request:

Code:
awk 'NF>0 {if (NF==4) {fn=$1; print $2,$3,$4 > fn".txt"} else {print $0 >> fn".txt"}}' file.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a pattern between the xml tags based on a search pattern

Hi all, I am trying to extract the values ( text between the xml tags) based on the Order Number. here is the sample input <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <NJCustomer> <Header> <MessageIdentifier>Y504173382</MessageIdentifier> ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: oky
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large file into multiple files in unix based on pattern

I need to write a shell script for below scenario My input file has data in format: qwerty0101TWE 12345 01022005 01022005 datainala alanfernanded 26 qwerty0101mXZ 12349 01022005 06022008 datainalb johngalilo 28 qwerty0101TWE 12342 01022005 07022009 datainalc hitalbert 43 qwerty0101CFG 12345... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy12
19 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with splitting large file based on pattern

Hi Experts, I have to split huge file based on the pattern to create smaller files. The pattern which is expected in the file is: Master..... First... second.... second... third.. third... Master... First.. second... third... Master... First... second.. second.. second..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saisanthi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file based on pattern and first character

I have a file as below pema.txt s2dhshfu dshfkdjh dshfd rjhfjhflhflhvflxhvlxhvx vlvhx sfjhldhfdjhldjhjhjdhjhjxhjhxjxh sjfdhdhfldhlghldhflhflhfhldfhlsh rjsdjh#error occured# skjfhhfdkhfkdhbvfkdhvkjhfvkhf sjkdfhdjfh#error occured# my requirement is to create 3 files frm the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pema.yozer
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find next line based on pattern, if it is similar pattern skip it

Hi, I am able to get next line if it is matching a particular pattern. But i need a way to skip if next line also matches same pattern.. For example: No Records No Records Records found got it Records found Now i want to find 'Records found' after 'No Records' pattern matches.. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagpa531
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split the file based on pattern

Hi , I have huge files around 400 mb, which has clob data and have diffeent scenarios: I am trying to pass scenario number as parameter and and get required modified file based on the scenario number and criteria. Scenario 1: file name : scenario_1.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file into 4 files containing the same name pattern

Hello, I have one file which is in size around 20 MB , wanted to split up into four files of each size of 5 MB. ABCD_XYZ_20130302223203.xml. Requirement is that to write script which should do as : first three file should be of size 5 MB each, the fourth one content should be in the last... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajju
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Split one file to many based on pattern

Hello All, I have records in a file in a pattern A,B,B,B,B,K,A,B,B,K Is there any command or simple logic I can pull out records into multiple files based on A record? I want output as File1: A,B,B,B,B,K File2: A,B,B,K (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deal1dealer
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed -- Find pattern -- print remainder -- plus lines up to pattern -- Minus pattern

The intended result should be : PDF converters 'empty line' gpdftext and pdftotext?xml version="1.0"?> xml:space="preserve"><note-content version="0.1" xmlns:/tomboy/link" xmlns:size="http://beatniksoftware.com/tomboy/size">PDF converters gpdftext and pdftotext</note-content>... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klasform
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Splitting a file based on a pattern

Hi All, I am having a problem. I tried to extract the chunk of data and tried to fix I am not able to. Any help please Basically I need to remove the for , values after K, this is how it is now A,, B, C,C, D,D, 12/04/10,12/04/10, K,1,1,1,1,0,3.0, K,1,1,1,2,0,4.0,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
2 Replies
mkmsgs(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mkmsgs(1)

NAME
mkmsgs - create message files for use by gettxt() SYNOPSIS
locale] textfile msgfile DESCRIPTION
The command takes as input a file of localized text strings and generates a message file that can be accessed by the gettxt(3C) routine. textfile is the name of the file that contains the text strings. msgfile is the name of the output message file. appends the suffix to the message file name. The combined length of the file name should be less than 14 bytes for short file name file system. The msgfile file should not contain a colon since it will confuse the formatting routines. The textfile file contains the localized text strings. The text strings are separated by a newline character. The text strings are pro- cessed sequentially and copied to the msgfile message file. An empty line in the input results in a corresponding empty message written to the msgfile message file. Options The command supports the following options: Overwrite the msgfile message file if it exists. The msgfile message file is installed in the system-wide localization directory corresponding to the specified locale. Only a user with the appropriate privileges can create or overwrite the message file in that directory. The direc- tory will be created if it does not exist. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of messages as single- and/or multibyte characters. Messages are issued in if it is set to a valid language and messages are available. Otherwise "C" locale messages are issued. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the format of the input text strings: WARNINGS
is provided for SVID3 compatibility only. The user is encouraged to use the NLS mechanism developed by HP and the X/Open Company, Ltd. SEE ALSO
gencat(1), gettxt(3C), setlocale(3C). STANDARDS COMPLIANCE
mkmsgs(1)