Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity Fail2ban ERROR Unable to contact server. Is it running? Post 302895231 by postcd on Saturday 29th of March 2014 07:29:14 PM
Old 03-29-2014
Fail2ban ERROR Unable to contact server. Is it running?

Hello, my fail2ban service is running (ps aux)

When i do:
Code:
fail2ban-client status

it returns:
Code:
ERROR  Unable to contact server. Is it running?

same message on fail2ban restart.

In /etc/fail2ban/fail2ban.conf i see this line:
Code:
socket = /var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.sock

but this file does not exist.

i cant find fail2ban log file in /var/log

Please how can i fix this issue?

I ended up killing the process and yum erase fail2ban then install, after that i see there is no jail:

Quote:
Fail2ban (pid 90593) is running...
Status
|- Number of jail: 0
`- Jail list:

Last edited by postcd; 03-29-2014 at 08:51 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ldapsearch (Can't contact ldap server)

Hi, Can somebody help me with ldapsearch? I am a newbie with linux and trying to do a ldapquery to resolve a full name from Active Directory? When i give the command ldapsearch -h sso541885 "cn=mloon" I get the error "ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: can't contact ldap server Regards, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanloonmichel
6 Replies

2. Solaris

couldn't contact the DHCP server

hi when i configure for DHCP in my solaris it says not able to contact dhcp server.. what might be the problem( is there any problem in recognizing my hostname by DHCP Server)? can any one explain thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srikanthg
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix ldapsearch can not contact a Windows LDAP Server

Good morning, Firstly my appologies if this post is not exactly approprate for this forum but I do not know were else to post it. If anyone knows of a better forum for this please let me know. I need to script an ldapsearch that will interrogate both unix and windows ldap servers. When it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: twk
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Service error on sparc server running solaris 10

Hi, I am getting following service error on one of the sparc servers running solaris 10 - Code : $ svcs -a | grep "maintenance" maintenance Nov_08 svc:/application/management/sma:default $ svcs -xv svc:/application/management/sma:default (net-snmp SNMP daemon) State: maintenance... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunadmin
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to grep the running processes.

Hi All, We have a shell script(ODS_Load)which loads the data from perticular flat file to oracle table invoking sqlplus based on the parameter. When we execute the script(ODS_Load) independently, script is working fine and able to load the tables successfully. We invoke(ODS_Load) with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)

I have two servers with a fresh install of Solaris 11, and having problems when doing rpcinfo between them. There is no firewall involved, so everything should theoretically be getting through. Does anyone have any ideas? I did a lot of Google searches, and haven't found a working solution yet. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Transfer file from server B to server C and running the script on server A

I have 3 servers A, B, C and server B is having some files in /u01/soa/ directory, these files i want to copy to server C, and i want to run the script from server A. Script(Server A) --> Files at Server B (Source server) --> Copy the files to Server C(Target Server). We dont have RSA key... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_j
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script year_month_day_hour_minute with fail2ban

Hello, What I would like to do is a shell script which will read a database file, then it will compare the current date/hour/minute in each line existing in the database file. Today is 20140305 (year_month_day) & assume that the time is 15:11 at the moment. under /var/log/ database.txt ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Error when running starting server service

Hi I have installed using tar a program called rabbitmq, and when I try to start it according to documentation, I get the following error: /usr/local/sbin/rabbitmq_server-3.6.14/sbin# ./rabbitmq-server ./rabbitmq-server: .: local: not found ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies
FAIL2BAN-CLIENT(1)						   User Commands						FAIL2BAN-CLIENT(1)

NAME
fail2ban-client - configure and control the server SYNOPSIS
fail2ban-client [OPTIONS] <COMMAND> DESCRIPTION
Fail2Ban v0.8.2 reads log file that contains password failure report and bans the corresponding IP addresses using firewall rules. OPTIONS
-c <DIR> configuration directory -s <FILE> socket path -d dump configuration. For debugging -i interactive mode -v increase verbosity -q decrease verbosity -x force execution of the server (remove socket file) -h, --help display this help message -V, --version print the version COMMAND
BASIC start starts the server and the jails reload reloads the configuration reload <JAIL> reloads the jail <JAIL> stop stops all jails and terminate the server status gets the current status of the server ping tests if the server is alive LOGGING set loglevel <LEVEL> sets logging level to <LEVEL>. 0 is minimal, 4 is debug get loglevel gets the logging level set logtarget <TARGET> sets logging target to <TARGET>. Can be STDOUT, STDERR, SYSLOG or a file get logtarget gets logging target JAIL CONTROL add <JAIL> <BACKEND> creates <JAIL> using <BACKEND> start <JAIL> starts the jail <JAIL> stop <JAIL> stops the jail <JAIL>. The jail is removed status <JAIL> gets the current status of <JAIL> JAIL CONFIGURATION set <JAIL> idle on|off sets the idle state of <JAIL> set <JAIL> addignoreip <IP> adds <IP> to the ignore list of <JAIL> set <JAIL> delignoreip <IP> removes <IP> from the ignore list of <JAIL> set <JAIL> addlogpath <FILE> adds <FILE> to the monitoring list of <JAIL> set <JAIL> dellogpath <FILE> removes <FILE> to the monitoring list of <JAIL> set <JAIL> addfailregex <REGEX> adds the regular expression <REGEX> which must match failures for <JAIL> set <JAIL> delfailregex <INDEX> removes the regular expression at <INDEX> for failregex set <JAIL> addignoreregex <REGEX> adds the regular expression <REGEX> which should match pattern to exclude for <JAIL> set <JAIL> delignoreregex <INDEX> removes the regular expression at <INDEX> for ignoreregex set <JAIL> findtime <TIME> sets the number of seconds <TIME> for which the filter will look back for <JAIL> set <JAIL> bantime <TIME> sets the number of seconds <TIME> a host will be banned for <JAIL> set <JAIL> maxretry <RETRY> sets the number of failures <RETRY> before banning the host for <JAIL> set <JAIL> addaction <ACT> adds a new action named <NAME> for <JAIL> set <JAIL> delaction <ACT> removes the action <NAME> from <JAIL> set <JAIL> setcinfo <ACT> <KEY> <VALUE> sets <VALUE> for <KEY> of the action <NAME> for <JAIL> set <JAIL> delcinfo <ACT> <KEY> removes <KEY> for the action <NAME> for <JAIL> set <JAIL> actionstart <ACT> <CMD> sets the start command <CMD> of the action <ACT> for <JAIL> set <JAIL> actionstop <ACT> <CMD> sets the stop command <CMD> of the action <ACT> for <JAIL> set <JAIL> actioncheck <ACT> <CMD> sets the check command <CMD> of the action <ACT> for <JAIL> set <JAIL> actionban <ACT> <CMD> sets the ban command <CMD> of the action <ACT> for <JAIL> set <JAIL> actionunban <ACT> <CMD> sets the unban command <CMD> of the action <ACT> for <JAIL> JAIL INFORMATION get <JAIL> logpath gets the list of the monitored files for <JAIL> get <JAIL> ignoreip gets the list of ignored IP addresses for <JAIL> get <JAIL> timeregex gets the regular expression used for the time detection for <JAIL> get <JAIL> timepattern gets the pattern used for the time detection for <JAIL> get <JAIL> failregex gets the list of regular expressions which matches the failures for <JAIL> get <JAIL> ignoreregex gets the list of regular expressions which matches patterns to ignore for <JAIL> get <JAIL> findtime gets the time for which the filter will look back for failures for <JAIL> get <JAIL> bantime gets the time a host is banned for <JAIL> get <JAIL> maxretry gets the number of failures allowed for <JAIL> get <JAIL> addaction gets the last action which has been added for <JAIL> get <JAIL> actionstart <ACT> gets the start command for the action <ACT> for <JAIL> get <JAIL> actionstop <ACT> gets the stop command for the action <ACT> for <JAIL> get <JAIL> actioncheck <ACT> gets the check command for the action <ACT> for <JAIL> get <JAIL> actionban <ACT> gets the ban command for the action <ACT> for <JAIL> get <JAIL> actionunban <ACT> gets the unban command for the action <ACT> for <JAIL> FILES
/etc/fail2ban/* AUTHOR
Written by Cyril Jaquier <cyril.jaquier@fail2ban.org>. Many contributions by Yaroslav O. Halchenko <debian@onerussian.com>. REPORTING BUGS
Please report bugs via Debian bug tracking system http://www.debian.org/Bugs/. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2008 Cyril Jaquier Copyright of modifications held by their respective authors. Licensed under the GNU General Public License v2 (GPL). SEE ALSO
fail2ban-server(1) fail2ban-client v0.8.2 March 2008 FAIL2BAN-CLIENT(1)