Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat GRUB2 + UEFI issue, new entry each boot Post 302895228 by sea on Saturday 29th of March 2014 07:12:33 PM
Old 03-29-2014
OK figured to solve:
Code:
efibootmgr -b 0001 -n 0001

Then rebooted and ran
Code:
efibootmgr -o 2001,2002,0001,0000

Both were ran as root.
BootOrder was set to (synonym): USB, DVD, Fedora, Windows

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cron entry issue --- help required

Hi all I schedule a job using crontab. My script accespts parameters like the following, 00 08 1 * * /ciwbin/generate_mnthy_rpt.job `date +%Y` `date +%m` i am passing month and year as parameters. Since we may need to run this job for an ad hoc month we decided to pass parameter. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jamesravid
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't get puppy to work with grub2

Hello, I'm trying to put puppy linux 4.2.1 (I can't use the latest because it won't boot on my hardware) on a grub2'd usb drive. It throws the error that it can't find pup_421.sfs Here is my /boot/grub/grub.cfg menuentry "Puppy 4.2.1" { loopback loop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
2 Replies

3. Debian

Grub2 (dual boot, dmraid) cannot run Debian6

Hello, firstly excuse for my poor english. I have a busybox error when I try to run Debian 6. It's like Grub cannot find root (initramfs) My system is: - RAID0 with dmraid - /boot ext2 (from moonOS installation --ubuntu based--) - ext4 (moonOS wich have the Grub2 installation, where I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutralTTY
0 Replies

4. Linux

grub2 startup freeze

I got a dual boot with grub2, but everytime I turn on the computer and the booter is loaded, I can't handle the menu, so I am forced to wait the countdown and choose the default option. I'd really like to know why! This is my grub.cfg, # # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE # # It is automatically... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab entry issue

Hi, I added below entry in crontab. Cron is triggering the script but actual script is not running. Cron entry: 45 * * * * /data/crons/Purge/TransferLogMaint.sh 3 20000 300 > /dev/null 2>&1 Cron log entry: Apr 17 12:45:01 <servername> crond: (root) CMD (/data/crons/Purge/TransferLogMaint.sh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
7 Replies

6. Slackware

Dealing with lilo and uefi

Recently I have been trying to boot into slackware on a new laptop that came preinstalled with windows 8. I have successfully installed slackware and Lilo, but I have had great difficult attempting to boot into it. Since the laptop contains no optical drive, I have been attempting to boot into... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a sandwhich
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount UEFI partition

I want to gain read/write access to a Windows 8 partition from a linux live cd. Prior to Windows 8, I used ntfs-3g to mount the partition from the command line. The "Fdisk -l" command does not seem to be able to read efi partitions. There must be some new strategy for linux users. This is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamarsh
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Dual boot Windows10 and Solaris 11.3??? UEFI

I can't get dual boot to work. I have first installed Windows10 on a new SSD, and then I installed Solaris 11.3 on the same disk. When I boot the disk, the GRUB shows Solaris, but no Windows. I can boot into Solaris fine. When I try to boot from a Windows10 partition, it does not work. Windows says... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unable to edit grub2 boot screen in centos 7

I have centos 7 gui installed on vmware workstation12 on my laptop.WhenI want to pause my splash screen while starting my centos 7 using the 'esc key' nothing happens and the system just boots up.I also see a entry for aci_memory_fail... entry during the boot process.help me fix the system. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabsac
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Question about Grub2 and Multipathing

I have a bit of an odd situation I would like to float out here and see if anyone has any ideas on this.. We are working on doing Disaster Recovery on a number of RHEL 7.4 systems. These are running on Cisco Blade Servers. The mount point for /boot is on a Multipathed SAN LUN. There are a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Overcast451
4 Replies
EFIBOOTMGR(8)															     EFIBOOTMGR(8)

NAME
efibootmgr - manipulate the EFI Boot Manager SYNOPSIS
efibootmgr [ -a ] [ -A ] [ -b XXXX ] [ -B XXXX ] [ -c ] [ -d DISK ] [ -e 1|3|-1 ] [ -E NUM ] [ -g ] [ -H XXXX ] [ -i NAME ] [ -l NAME ] [ -L LABEL ] [ -n XXXX ] [ -N ] [ -o XXXX,YYYY,ZZZZ ... ] [ -O ] [ -p PART ] [ -q ] [ -t seconds ] [ -T ] [ -u ] [ -U XXXX ] [ -v ] [ -V ] [ -w ] [ -@ file ] DESCRIPTION
efibootmgr is a userspace application used to modify the Intel Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) Boot Manager. This application can cre- ate and destroy boot entries, change the boot order, change the next running boot option, and more. Details on the EFI Boot Manager are available from the EFI Specification, v1.02 or later, available from: <URL:http://developer.intel.com> Note: efibootmgr requires that the kernel support access to EFI non-volatile variables (through /proc/efi/vars on 2.4 kernels, /sys/firmware/efi/vars on 2.6 kernels). modprobe efivars should do the trick. OPTIONS
The following is a list of options accepted by efibootmgr: -a | --active Sets bootnum active -A | --inactive Sets bootnum inactive -b | --bootnum XXXX Modify BootXXXX (hex) -B | --delete-bootnum Delete bootnum (hex) -c | --create Create new variable bootnum and add to bootorder -d | --disk DISK The disk containing the loader (defaults to /dev/sda) -e | --edd 1|3|-1 Force EDD 1.0 or 3.0 creation variables, or guess. -E | --device NUM EDD 1.0 device number (defaults to 0x80) -g | --gpt Force disk with invalid PMBR to be treated as GPT -H | --acpi_hid XXXX set the ACPI HID (used with -i) -i | --iface NAME create a netboot entry for the named interface -l | --loader NAME Specify a loader (defaults to \elilo.efi) -L | --label LABEL Boot manager display label (defaults to "Linux") -n | --bootnext XXXX Set BootNext to XXXX (hex) -N | --delete-bootnext Delete BootNext -o | --bootorder XXXX,YYYY,ZZZZ Explicitly set BootOrder (hex) -O | --delete-bootorder Delete BootOrder -p | --part PART Partition number containing the bootloader (defaults to 1) -q | --quiet Quiet mode - supresses output. --test filename Don't write to NVRAM, write to filename. -t | --timeout seconds Boot Manager timeout, in seconds. -T | --delete-timeout Delete Timeout variable. -u | --unicode | --UCS-2 pass extra command line arguments as UCS-2 (default is ASCII) -U | --acpi_uid XXXX set the ACPI UID (used with -i) -v | --verbose Verbose mode - prints additional information -V | --version Just print version string and exit. -w | --write-signature write unique signature to the MBR if needed -@ | --append-binary-args append extra variable args from file (use - to read from stdin). Data in file is appended as command line arguments to the boot loader command, with no modification to the data, so you can pass any binary or text data necessary. EXAMPLES
1. DISPLAYING THE CURRENT SETTINGS (MUST BE ROOT). [root@localhost ~]# efibootmgr BootCurrent: 0004 BootNext: 0003 BootOrder: 0004,0000,0001,0002,0003 Timeout: 30 seconds Boot0000* Diskette Drive(device:0) Boot0001* CD-ROM Drive(device:FF) Boot0002* Hard Drive(Device:80)/HD(Part1,Sig00112233) Boot0003* PXE Boot: MAC(00D0B7C15D91) Boot0004* Linux This shows: o BootCurrent - the boot entry used to start the currently running system o BootOrder - the boot order as would appear in the boot manager. The boot manager tries to boot the first active entry in this list. If unsuccessful, it tries the next entry, and so on. o BootNext - the boot entry which is scheduled to be run on next boot. This supercedes BootOrder for one boot only, and is deleted by the boot manager after first use. This allows you to change the next boot behavior without changing BootOrder. o Timeout - the time in seconds between when the boot manager appears on the screen until when it automatically chooses the startup value from BootNext or BootOrder. o Five boot entries (0000 - 0004), along with the active/inactive flag (* means active) and the name displayed on the screen. 2. CREATING A NEW BOOT OPTION An OS installer would call efibootmgr -c. This assumes that /boot/efi is your EFI System Partition, and is mounted at /dev/sda1. This creates a new boot option, called "Linux", and puts it at the top of the boot order list. Options may be passed to modify the default behavior. The default OS Loader is elilo.efi. 3. CHANGING THE BOOT ORDER Assuming the configuration in Example #1, efibootmgr -o 3,4 could be called to specify PXE boot first, then Linux boot. 4. CHANGING THE BOOT ORDER FOR THE NEXT BOOT ONLY Assuming the configuration in Example #1, efibootmgr -n 4 could be called to specify that the Linux entry be taken on next boot. 5. DELETING A BOOT OPTION Assuming the configuration in Example #1, efibootmgr -b 4 -B could be called to delete entry 4 and remove it from the BootOrder. 6. CREATING NETWORK BOOT ENTRIES A system administrator wants to create a boot option to network boot (PXE). Unfortunately, this requires knowing a little more information about your system than can be easily found by efibootmgr, so you've got to pass additional information - the ACPI HID and UID values. These can generally be found by using the EFI Boot Manager (in the EFI environment) to create a network boot entry, then using efibootmgr to print it verbosely. Here's one example: Boot003* Acpi(PNP0A03,0)/PCI(5|0)/Mac(00D0B7F9F510) ACPI(a0341d0,0)PCI(0,5)MAC(00d0b7f9f510,0) In this case, the ACPI HID is "0A0341d0" and the UID is "0". For the zx2000 gigE, the HID is "222F" and the UID is "500". For the rx2000 gigE, the HID is "0002" and the UID is "100". You create the boot entry with: efibootmgr -c -i eth0 -H 222F -U 500 -L netboot BUGS
Please direct any bugs, features, patches, etc. to Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@dell.com>. AUTHOR
This man page was generated by dann frazier <dannf@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux operating system, but may be used by others. SEE ALSO
elilo(1) 11 August 2005 EFIBOOTMGR(8)