Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Script to delete multiple users Post 302895200 by dom17 on Saturday 29th of March 2014 09:33:51 AM
Old 03-29-2014
Thanks for the reply Scrutinizer

There is a typo in the script posted, there is a $ before status in the actual script I couldnt copy and paste from the VM so i had to retype the script out and missed that, i will try and edit the post. When i say it worked fine i meant it created the users and the groups. I'm sure there is a more correct way to do it.

The header is not in the file i just listed it to show what each field is called.

I didnt know that firstname surname etc were actually variables

The tutorials i looked at showed the = doubled up so i just followed that.

I did look at the man pages but my problem (apart from being a noob) in reference to deleting the accounts is i dont know where to call the users from. When i created the accounts i knew to call the data from the csv file but to delete i imagine you have to reference the accounts from somewhere.
I know how to delete the users individually from the command line but cant transfer this to a script

I will keep plugging away

Thanks again

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need a script to delete multiple files

Hello, I am working with about 500,000 text files and 90% of them are duplicates. I need a way to delete the duplicate ones. The files are email messages with the following file name examples: 20040129-1457 This is the Subject line.txt 20040129-1457 This is the Subject line-1.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navycow
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete all data from multiple files

its urgent!!!!!!111 i need a script which can delete data from multiple files. plz if anybody knows the script plz write a mail to me : (Email addresses are not allowed) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uni_ajay_r
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Script to delete multiple entries from a file

I am new to Linux and would appreciate some help. I need a script to do the following: My file contains the following entries more file 1 1 1 1 2 2 2 I want to delete multiple entries of 1 and 2 and just keep one of each. The output should look like more file 1 2 Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sidewayz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using userdel -r in a script? To delete multiple users.

I'm getting ready to upgrade to Solaris 10 (from 8) and I'm trying to write a script that will delete approximately 800 user accounts that are no longer required. I'm trying to use the userdel -r command and read the input from a file with the list of user names. I've never been very good at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol10admin
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to delete multiple files in remote machine

Requirement Several files in remote machines ought to be deleted via sh. Name of the files to be deleted are know Approach 1) script was written with ftp (requires credential) and delete command. File names were passed as array(iterated via for loop-with ftp+delete commands enclosed within... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkalya
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple users with individual passwords to users

hi, i am new to shell scripts i write a shell script to create multiple users but i need to give passwords to that users while creating users, command to write this script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DONFOX
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add new users to a group on multiple servers using SSH

Hi Experts, I am new to scripting. We have around 400 Linux servers in our environment. I want to add a new user to a perticular group on all the servers using SSH. Requirements: 1) Need to take the server names from a text file. 2) Login into each server and check whether perticular... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Satya1983
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script To Delete User Accounts On Multiple Servers

Hello All, The servers in question are AIX/Unix servers. I was hoping to find a scripting solution where I could use one server as a jump server and run a script that would check each server for a user account (the source file for the user accounts would be a text file or csv file) , and delete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k45bryant
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete users in the servers

Hi Team, Hope you are doing good.I am new to scripting.I have a requirement of deleting around 10 users in 100 servers.It is very time consuming by logging into each servers and delete the user.Here I have redhat 6 ,Suse linux 10&11 environment servers. In one set of servers I have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for creating multiple users with password

for UserName in `cat users` ; do useradd -d /u02 -s /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server -G ftp-users $UserName ; PassWord=$( echo $( tr '' '' <<< ${UserName:0:1} )${UserName:1} ) ; echo "$PassWord@123" | passwd $UserName --stdin ; done can some one explain what the bold text do Please use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: James0806
5 Replies
DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)					      Debconf						  DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)

NAME
debconf-mergetemplate - merge together multiple debconf template files SYNOPSIS
debconf-mergetemplate [options] [templates.ll ...] templates DESCRIPTION
Note: This utility is deprecated. You should switch to using po-debconf's po2debconf program. This program is useful if you have multiple debconf templates files which you want to merge together into one big file. All the specified files will be read in, merged, and output to standard output. This can be especially useful if you are dealing with translated template files. In this case, you might have your main template file, plus several other files provided by the translators. These files will have translated fields in them, and maybe the translators left in the english versions of the fields they translated, for their reference. So, you want to merge together all the translated templates files with your main templates file. Any fields that are unique to the translated files need to be added in to the correct templates, but any fields they have in common should be superseded by the fields in the main file (which might be more up-to-date). This program handles that case properly, just list each of the translated templates files, and then your main templates file last. OPTIONS
--outdated Merge in even outdated translations. The default is to drop them with a warning message. --drop-old-templates If a translation has an entire template that is not in the master file (and thus is probably an old template), drop that entire template. SEE ALSO
debconf-getlang(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)