Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sudoers for one day per week? Post 302895121 by alan on Friday 28th of March 2014 02:09:36 PM
Old 03-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
53 people using sudo why not but 53 people sudo root??

Well a better way would be to know what for, and allow sudo to specific commands (we do that by groups, but sudoers file is pages after...)
Why do they need sudo?
Why do they need sudo? Unknown...this was setup that way before I joined this team.

The majority of the users do create and mod ksh scripts which can affect database processes as well as data. Many mistakes were made which cause prod issues.

At least, the majority of users should not be able to use vi, cp, mv and rm.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calculating the day of the week

Hi all, I would like to calculate the day of the week using a supplied date. i.e. 20011012 = Day 5. Any ideas? Many thanks, ligs (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ligs
4 Replies

2. Programming

Function that gets the day of the week (0-6) ??

Hi , I am working at Unix system,using c lang. I need c fun which return the day of the week . For example : 0- Sunday. 1- Monday. .... 10x. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Yesterday's Day of week

I need o get yesterday's day of week but im not exactly sure. the actual name is what i want. I can do it with numbers but im not sure with words. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing First Day Of The Week?

Hi All, Our system is running on Solaris 8 and we are using US locale. By default the First Day Of Week is Sunday, is it possible for us to change it to Monday? I have googled it but found very little of use. THanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fowlerleftfoot
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Get Day of Week from date

Hi All, I have date in string format 'YYYY-MM-DD'. I want to know day of the week for this date. Example. For '2005-08-21' my script should return '0' or Sunday For '2005-08-22' it should return '1' or Monday I want piece of code for HP-UX korn shell. Appreciate reply on this. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpapaiya
5 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Day of week different in windows and Linux

Hi all, My program is getting date from database (oracle) and am getting that date's day of week also. In windows its giving one number and different in linux ;) For Example: 30 - Jun - 2009 Am getting 2 in windows and 3 in Linux. Am not understanding whats going wrong.. Am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajinavaneethan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get day of week from cal

Hi all, I am trying to get dow from cal using below script #! /bin/bash YEAR=`echo $1 | cut -c 1-4` MONTH=`echo $1 | cut -c 5-6` DAY=`echo $1 | cut -c 7-8` for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 do dayofweek=`cal $MONTH $YEAR | awk '$i == $DAY {printf("%s","$i")}'` echo $dayofweek... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bzylg
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Day of the week from a string

Hi All, I need to know how to derive the day of the week by passing the value in following format: Feb 28 2010 The output I'm expecting is Sunday or Sun. I know, I can use the following code to get the day of the week. date +%a But I want to pass the value as a string. Please help... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
11 Replies

9. HP-UX

Find Day of Week

In HP-UX the date command does not have the "-d" switch like some other *nixes do. I'm working a simple script to tell me, given the day, month and year what day of the week that falls on. Assuming valid day, month and year input (I'd perform quality checks on the input separately, but not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rwuerth
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the week's day

Hi All, I have the below requirement , if i give the week number for ex 41 i need to get the date for Monday and thursday for this given week. my expected output is 13/10/2014 (Monday's date) and 16/10/2014 (Thursday's date) I am using GNU LINUX . Pls help me with your thoughts. Thanks in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
7 Replies
GKSU(1) 							   User Commands							   GKSU(1)

NAME
gksu - GTK+ frontend for su and sudo SYNOPSIS
gksu gksu [-u <user>] [options] <command> gksudo [-u <user>] [options] <command> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly gksu and gksudo gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. Notice that all the magic is done by the underlying library, libgksu. Also notice that the library will decide if it should use su or sudo as backend using the /apps/gksu/sudo-mode gconf key, if you call the gksu command. You can force the backend by using the gksudo command, or by using the --sudo-mode and --su-mode options. If no command is given, the gksu program will display a small window that allows you to type in a command to be run, and to select what user the program should be run as. The other options are disregarded, right now, in this mode. OPTIONS
--debug, -d Print information on the screen that might be useful for diagnosing and/or solving problems. --user <user>, -u <user> Call <command> as the specified user. --disable-grab, -g Disable the "locking" of the keyboard, mouse, and focus done by the program when asking for password. --prompt, -P Ask the user if they want to have their keyboard and mouse grabbed before doing so. --preserve-env, -k Preserve the current environments, does not set $HOME nor $PATH, for example. --login, -l Make this a login shell. Beware this may cause problems with the Xauthority magic. Run xhost to allow the target user to open win- dows on your display! --description <description|file>, -D <description|file> Provide a descriptive name for the command to be used in the default message, making it nicer. You can also provide the absolute path for a .desktop file. The Name key for will be used in this case. --message <message>, -m <message> Replace the standard message shown to ask for password for the argument passed to the option. Only use this if --description does not suffice. --print-pass, -p Ask gksu to print the password to stdout, just like ssh-askpass. Useful to use in scripts with programs that accept receiving the password on stdin. --su-mode, -w Force gksu to use su(1) as its backend for running the programs. --sudo-mode, -S Force gksu to use sudo(1) as its backend for running the programs. SEE ALSO
su(1), sudo(1) gksu version 2.0.x August 2006 GKSU(1)