Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Remove matching files from a list Post 302895104 by renuk on Friday 28th of March 2014 01:18:29 PM
Old 03-28-2014
But I don't what to create new cache file.....I want to find matching files in it and delete it....may be using some for loops...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Too many files to list / remove

I have a directory which has 614,000 files. When attempting to do an ls -ralt in the directory an error too many arguments is shown. 1. I would like to see what files and their stats in the directory 2. I would like to delete certain files of a certain age (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinplant
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Can't list or remove files from a directory

Hi I have a problem. One of the directories in /var, on one of my servers, has filled up with loads of files. I have tried to list the directory to see what is in it, but the 'ls' command just hangs. Same thing happens when I try to use 'rm' to remove files from that directory. I can see what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_smith
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove matching lines with list of strings

Hi, HP-UX gxxxxxxxc B.11.23 U ia64 3717505098 unlimited-user license I have a file with below pipe separated field values: xxx|xxx|abcd|xxx|xxx|xx xxx|xxx|abcd#123|xxx|xxx|xx xxx|xxx|abcd#345|xxx|xxx|xx xxx|xxx|pqrs|xxx|xxx|xx xxx|xxx|pqrs#123|xxx|xxx|xx The third field has values like... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nanu_Manju
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files and to remove the matching lines on both the files

I have two files and need to compare the two files and to remove the matching lines from both the files (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripter
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove characters from list of files

done some homework on this-- after i remove up to and including the ) i want to take newfile.txt and use that list to remove the files from a file in my the directory pwd i have a input.txt file cat input,txt 1)mary.jpg 12)john.jpg 100)frankkfkdf .jpg i want to remove the characters in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: plener
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first row in a list of files

Hi I want to remove the first row in a list of files and am trying to do via the following. I've tried various quotes to redirect the modifed file to a newly named version of itself but no joy. Can you help? > for i in 'ls A*'; do sed '1d' $i > $i"_complete"; done bash: $i"_complete":... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksexton
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to list non matching files using pattern

Hi, I am trying to write a script that list down all the files that do not match the pattern My pattern will be like this "*.jpg|*.xml|*.sql". This pattern will be stored in a file. The script need to read this pattern from the file and delete the files that does not match this pattern. It... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: meenavin
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

list files not matching wild card

Hi I need a unix command which generates the list of files that dont match the wild card pattern in the current directory say for example I have files like x.addfd.txt.H2012.txt x.addfd.txt.H2012.txt x.asegfd.txt.H2012.txt adfd.bagddf I need the list of files which dont match... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijjumathew
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all files with sum of matching word

grep -c 'avihai' 1.log will give me count of 'avihai' in log I want to have a list of files in the folder that show file name with count side by side. Please advice (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avihaimar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to combine all matching dates and remove non-matching

Using the awk below I am able to combine all the matching dates in $1, but I can not seem to remove the non-matching from the file. Thank you :). file 20161109104500.0+0000,x,5631 20161109104500.0+0000,y,2 20161109104500.0+0000,z,2 20161109104500.0+0000,a,4117... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
sticky(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros						 sticky(5)

NAME
sticky - mark files for special treatment DESCRIPTION
The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000, see chmod(2)) is used to indicate special treatment of certain files and directories. A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts deletion of files it contains. A file in a sticky directory can only be removed or renamed by a user who has write permission on the directory, and either owns the file, owns the directory, has write permission on the file, or is a privi- leged user. Setting the sticky bit is useful for directories such as /tmp, which must be publicly writable but should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename the files of others. If the sticky bit is set on a regular file and no execute bits are set, the system's page cache will not be used to hold the file's data. This bit is normally set on swap files of diskless clients so that accesses to these files do not flush more valuable data from the sys- tem's cache. Moreover, by default such files are treated as swap files, whose inode modification times may not necessarily be correctly recorded on permanent storage. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod for details about modifying file modes. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdir(2), rename(2), unlink(2) BUGS
The mkdir(2) function will not create a directory with the sticky bit set. SunOS 5.11 1 Aug 2002 sticky(5)