Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Asynchronus resource sharing between processes? Post 302894834 by Corona688 on Thursday 27th of March 2014 02:18:14 PM
Old 03-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanzee007
Hi,
say I have some pages which I want to share between two processes asynchronously. Which IPC (inter process communication) mechanism is best for this kind of job to complete? Is the same mechanism work for synchronous sharing?

Thanks for the replies.
sanzee
This is a lot of buzzwords whose meaning depends on context and implementation. What, in detail, are you actually trying to do?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

resource manaement

Hi all I would like to know which other tools i can use besides top & sar to track the system resources i heard of somthing that sounds like acamdmin or acsadm... Thanks for your help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yelalouf
1 Replies

2. Solaris

resource worries

When I run the prstat -a command I get the following output for user oracle. NPROC USERNAME SIZE RSS MEMORY TIME CPU 118 oracle 70G 30G 100% 4:38:03 52% The reading under the "MEMORY" heading is 100%. What does this mean? I hope it doesn't mean user oracle is using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

sharing of IP address for load sharing avoiding virtual server & redirection machine

I have RedHat 9.0 installed on three of my servers (PIII - 233MHz) and want that they share a common IP address so that any request made reaches each of the servers. Can anyone suggest how should I setup my LAN. I'm new to networking in Linux so please elaborate and would be thankful for a timely... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rakesh Ranjan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Processes sharing.......

What are the differences in processes sharing variables, memory pages or files? Is one safer than another? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MS_CC
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

8. Programming

Sharing a serial port among multiple processes

I am creating a Daemon in Unix that will have exclusive access to a serial port "/dev/tty01". I am planning to create a Master - Slave process paradigm where there is one master (the daemon) and multiple slaves. I was thinking of having a structure in "Shared memory" where the slaves can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zacharoni16
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Global and non-global zone resource sharing - tricky

hi all, Just a simple question but i cant get the answers in the book - In my globalzone , assuming i have 4 cpus (psrinfo -pv = 0-3), if i set dedicated-cpu (ncpus=2) for my local zone Is my globalzone left with 2 cpus or still 4 cpus ? Does localzone "resource reservation.e.g. cpu in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
6 Replies
MPI_Comm_split(3OpenMPI)												  MPI_Comm_split(3OpenMPI)

NAME
MPI_Comm_split - Creates new communicators based on colors and keys. SYNTAX
C Syntax #include <mpi.h> int MPI_Comm_split(MPI_Comm comm, int color, int key, MPI_Comm *newcomm) Fortran Syntax INCLUDE 'mpif.h' MPI_COMM_SPLIT(COMM, COLOR, KEY, NEWCOMM, IERROR) INTEGER COMM, COLOR, KEY, NEWCOMM, IERROR C++ Syntax #include <mpi.h> MPI::Intercomm MPI::Intercomm::Split(int color, int key) const MPI::Intracomm MPI::Intracomm::Split(int color, int key) const INPUT PARAMETERS
comm Communicator (handle). color Control of subset assignment (nonnegative integer). key Control of rank assigment (integer). OUTPUT PARAMETERS
newcomm New communicator (handle). IERROR Fortran only: Error status (integer). DESCRIPTION
This function partitions the group associated with comm into disjoint subgroups, one for each value of color. Each subgroup contains all processes of the same color. Within each subgroup, the processes are ranked in the order defined by the value of the argument key, with ties broken according to their rank in the old group. A new communicator is created for each subgroup and returned in newcomm. A process may supply the color value MPI_UNDEFINED, in which case newcomm returns MPI_COMM_NULL. This is a collective call, but each process is per- mitted to provide different values for color and key. When you call MPI_Comm_split on an inter-communicator, the processes on the left with the same color as those on the right combine to cre- ate a new inter-communicator. The key argument describes the relative rank of processes on each side of the inter-communicator. The func- tion returns MPI_COMM_NULL for those colors that are specified on only one side of the inter-communicator, or for those that specify MPI_UNEDEFINED as the color. A call to MPI_Comm_create(comm, group, newcomm) is equivalent to a call to MPI_Comm_split(comm, color, key, newcomm), where all members of group provide color = 0 and key = rank in group, and all processes that are not members of group provide color = MPI_UNDEFINED. The func- tion MPI_Comm_split allows more general partitioning of a group into one or more subgroups with optional reordering. The value of color must be nonnegative or MPI_UNDEFINED. NOTES
This is an extremely powerful mechanism for dividing a single communicating group of processes into k subgroups, with k chosen implicitly by the user (by the number of colors asserted over all the processes). Each resulting communicator will be nonoverlapping. Such a division could be useful for defining a hierarchy of computations, such as for multigrid or linear algebra. Multiple calls to MPI_Comm_split can be used to overcome the requirement that any call have no overlap of the resulting communicators (each process is of only one color per call). In this way, multiple overlapping communication structures can be created. Creative use of the color and key in such splitting operations is encouraged. Note that, for a fixed color, the keys need not be unique. It is MPI_Comm_split's responsibility to sort processes in ascending order according to this key, and to break ties in a consistent way. If all the keys are specified in the same way, then all the processes in a given color will have the relative rank order as they did in their parent group. (In general, they will have different ranks.) Essentially, making the key value zero for all processes of a given color means that one needn't really pay attention to the rank-order of the processes in the new communicator. ERRORS
Almost all MPI routines return an error value; C routines as the value of the function and Fortran routines in the last argument. C++ func- tions do not return errors. If the default error handler is set to MPI::ERRORS_THROW_EXCEPTIONS, then on error the C++ exception mechanism will be used to throw an MPI:Exception object. Before the error value is returned, the current MPI error handler is called. By default, this error handler aborts the MPI job, except for I/O function errors. The error handler may be changed with MPI_Comm_set_errhandler; the predefined error handler MPI_ERRORS_RETURN may be used to cause error values to be returned. Note that MPI does not guarantee that an MPI program can continue past an error. SEE ALSO
MPI_Comm_create MPI_Intercomm_create MPI_Comm_dup MPI_Comm_free Open MPI 1.2 September 2006 MPI_Comm_split(3OpenMPI)