Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Extract fragments from file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract fragments from file Post 302894799 by black_fender on Thursday 27th of March 2014 10:41:33 AM
Old 03-27-2014
[Solved] Extract fragments from file

I have a .xml file that looks something like this :
Code:
<measInfo>
string1
</measInfo>

<measInfo>
string2
</measInfo>

I want to extract only the 'chunk of file' from '<measInfo>' to '</measInfo>' containing string1 (or a certain string that I choose, so the extraction command should contain a variabe for the string. I'm not very good in awk.. so I need your help.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

fragments in Solaris 8

When discussing inodes and data blocks, I know Solaris creates these data blocks with a total size of 8192b, divided into eight 1024b "fragments." It stores data in "contiguous" fragments and solaris doesn't allow a file to use portions of two different fragments. If the file size permits, then the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manderson19
4 Replies

2. Solaris

ipfilter blocking ip fragments

For some reason ipfilter is blocking inbound fragmented ip packets (the packets are larger than the interface's MTU) that are encapsulating UDP segments. The connection works, so I know ipfilter is letting some traffic through, it is just a lot slower than it should be. Rules that allow the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilikecows
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

Solaris 11 Express NAT/Router IP Fragments

Upon replacing my linux router/server with a Solaris one I've noticed very poor network performance. The server itself has no issues connecting to the net, but clients using the server as a router are getting a lot of IP fragments as indicated from some packet sniffing I conducted. Here was my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create shell script to extract unique information from one file to a new file.

Hi to all, I got this content/pattern from file http.log.20110808.gz mail1 httpd: Account Notice: close igchung@abc.com 2011/8/7 7:37:36 0:00:03 0 0 1 mail1 httpd: Account Information: login sastria9@abc.com proxy sid=gFp4DLm5HnU mail1 httpd: Account Notice: close sastria9@abc.com... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract rows from file based on row numbers stored in another file

Hi All, I have a file which is like this: rows.dat 1 2 3 4 5 6 3 4 5 6 7 8 7 8 9 0 4 3 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 I have another file with numbers like these (numbers.txt): 1 3 4 5 I want to read numbers.txt file line by line. The extract the row from rows.dat based on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract start/end times from log file to CSV file?

Hi, I have a log file (log.txt) that which contains lines of date/time. I need to create a script to extract a CSV file (out.csv) that gets all the sequential times (with only 1 minute difference) together by stating the start time and end time of this period. Sample log file (log.txt) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Zizo
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sentence and its details from a text file based on another file of sentences

Hi I have two text files. The first file is TEXTFILEONE.txt as given below: <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why the results of these two code fragments are not the same?

Code 1: #!/bin/sh for arg1 in "$@" do counter=0 for arg2 in "$@" do if && then counter=$((counter+1)) continue fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnprogrammer
8 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicat- ing its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c complements the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose ASCII codes are 01 through 0377 octal; -d deletes all input characters in string1; -s squeezes all strings of repeated output characters that are in string2 to single characters. In either string the notation a-b means a range of characters from a to b in increasing ASCII order. The character `' followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits. A `' followed by any other character stands for that character. The following example creates a list of all the words in `file1' one per line in `file2', where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. The second string is quoted to protect `' from the Shell. 012 is the ASCII code for newline. tr -cs A-Za-z '12' <file1 >file2 SEE ALSO
ed(1), ascii(7) BUGS
Won't handle ASCII NUL in string1 or string2; always deletes NUL from input. TR(1)