Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with if then sentence (string in file) Post 302894792 by klskl on Thursday 27th of March 2014 10:16:52 AM
Old 03-27-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
To tell the truth I cant link your bit of script with what you are asking...

I dont see that n your script...

So what are option1 ... then?
If you are searching in a file, then grep is what you should use to sart with, then once found think if awk should not be prefered depending on what actions should follow...
I'm thinking, If option 1 is Norway, then when the user enters norway, everything in the list, that has the value 'Norway' as Country, gets copied to the new file.

What I need is a way to compare the users option with the value of 'country'.
Code:
if [option1 = Country]; then
       copy to newlist

edit! and, it should do this on every line on the list, so maybe I need a for loop?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove duplicate sentence/string in perl?

Hi, I have two strings like this in an array: For example: @a=("Brain aging is associated with a progressive imbalance between intracellular concentration of Reactive Oxygen Species","Brain aging is associated with a progressive imbalance between intracellular concentration of Reactive... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a sentence in each file.

In a directry there are 100 files are present.... How to append a statement like "Anup Das" in each of the file content, in the first line.... without opening the files.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupdas
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to ask for a sentence and then count number of spaces in the sentence

Hi People, I need some Help to write a unix script that asks for a sentence to be typed out then with the sentence. Counts the number of spaces within the sentence and then echo's out "The Number Of Spaces In The Sentence is 4" as a example Thanks Danielle (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlie101208
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have to pass a sentence in a file,

I have to pass a sentence in a file, the specs are as: cat run | sed 's/SRT/'$8'/g' | sed 's/plength/68/g' | sed 's/stcol/'$5'/g' | sed 's/encol/'$6'/g' | sed 's/brdtype/'$1'/g' | sed's/brdtxt/'$3'/g' | sed 's/demotxt/Total '$2'/g' | sed 's/bantxt/ban_'$7'/g' | sed 's/validcodes/'$4'/g' > runx ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patilrakesh1984
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[grep] how to grep a sentence which has quotation marks "sentence"

I would like to check with grep in this configuration file: { "alt-speed-down": 200, "alt-speed-enabled": true, "alt-speed-time-begin": 1140, "alt-speed-time-day": 127, "...something..." : true, ... } "alt-speed-enabled" (the third line of the file) is setted to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciro314
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a number from a grepped sentence of a file?

I want get a number(ID) from a sentence which has been grepped from file using error number. For Example: #!/bin/ksh echo "Enter RRS ID: " read rrs echo "Enter error number:" read err scp -pr ptc-avdbamdw102:/home/icsprd/M3logs/Accurate/logs/corp_post/$rrs.*.err.txt $HOME/daemon_mail/... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayDoshi
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print one sentence 40 to 50 words end with period in a file

Hi All, Is there another way to achieve this? how get short phrase in a sentence with character count of 100 to 155 words end with period but don't end something like 50,000. . Here's my current script but the output is not good. This will use for my snippets or preview. grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sentence and its details from a text file based on another file of sentences

Hi I have two text files. The first file is TEXTFILEONE.txt as given below: <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I must use first sentence from a file to put into variable

i am having some bash script which must use first sentence of the file. For example i have file which content is: test 213 So I must use word test into my bash script, and put it into variable. I am using a one variable named value value=$(</home/rusher/test.txt) so instead using test.txt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomislav91
1 Replies
LOOK(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   LOOK(1)

NAME
look -- display lines beginning with a given string SYNOPSIS
look [-df] [-t termchar] string [file] DESCRIPTION
The look utility displays any lines in file which contain string as a prefix. As look performs a binary search, the lines in file must be sorted. If file is not specified, the file /usr/share/dict/words is used, only alphanumeric characters are compared and the case of alphabetic char- acters is ignored. Options: -d Dictionary character set and order, i.e. only alphanumeric characters are compared. -f Ignore the case of alphabetic characters. -t Specify a string termination character, i.e. only the characters in string up to and including the first occurrence of termchar are compared. The look utility exits 0 if one or more lines were found and displayed, 1 if no lines were found, and >1 if an error occurred. FILES
/usr/share/dict/words the dictionary COMPATIBILITY
The original manual page stated that tabs and blank characters participated in comparisons when the -d option was specified. This was incor- rect and the current man page matches the historic implementation. SEE ALSO
grep(1), sort(1) HISTORY
look appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 14, 1993 BSD