Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Undelete, backup inodes
Operating Systems Solaris Undelete, backup inodes Post 302894496 by orange47 on Tuesday 25th of March 2014 05:42:52 PM
Old 03-25-2014
Undelete, backup inodes

is there a way to backup all inodes? (could that help with undeleting files?)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

undelete

Hi All, I just given $rm abc.pc, I don't have backup also. is there any way to recover? thanks in advance krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
3 Replies

2. Solaris

inodes

hi i need to find all the files that r linked to the current file as i need to delete the file as well as few of its links :confused: thnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: livemyway
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Undelete files

Right, a mate of mine screwed up today and deleted the entire contents of a directory and he really needs to get the files back. He's using Red Hat Enterprise Edition 4. The files were deleted using rm *. He can't remember if the hard drive was formatted using ext2 or ext3. Anybody have any idea... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bacchus
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

inodes

how is the location of inodes in the physical disk. are they sequential like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|inode2| ....| datablock1|datablock2|datablock3 or are they distributed among data blocks like: bootblock|superblock|inode1|datablock1|inode2|datablock2|datablock3|inode3 |datablock4 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Undelete files in Unix

Hi Is there any way to restore files accidentally deleted in Unix (other than rm -i) (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: misenkiser
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to undelete

Hi Is there a way by which I can recover the last deleted file file from a folder. OR I had a file in a path .(i didnt notice the size at that time ) I tried ftp that file to my windows but got file of zero size. I want to check whether the file was already empty when I tried ftping it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratim09
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNDELETE a file

Hi, In tcsh, I mistakenly deleted some files under a dir with rm * Is there any way by which I can recover those files (without restoring to an earlier backup point) ? I mean any command like undelete or anything similar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowline84
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with Inodes please

How can i trace Inode structure and modify it in UNIX kernel? We want to change the inode structure in the sense that we want to add a new field to the inode data structure. So we want to know how and where to trace inode (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Group_Inode
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

10. SCO

Versioning through undelete

Hi , I am using SCO openserver realease 3.2 and tried to test versioning on a directory with undelete -s . The command executes well but it is not creating any versions of the files in it. I have also setted versioning options via filesystem and then remounted it but of ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dextergenious
0 Replies
EXT3GREP(8)						 recover files on ext3 filesystems					       EXT3GREP(8)

NAME
ext3grep - ext3 file recovery tool SYNOPSIS
ext3grep [OPTIONS] FILE ... DESCRIPTION
ext3grep is a simple tool intended to aid anyone who accidentally deletes a file on an ext3 filesystem, only to find that they wanted it shortly thereafter. OPTIONS
--superblock Print contents of superblock in addition to the rest. If no action is specified then this option is implied. --print Print contents of block or inode, if any. --ls Print directories, one line per entry. See the FILTERS section for details on filtering this output. --accept FILE Accepts 'file' as a legal filename. Can be used multiple times. If you change any --accept you must remove BOTH stage* files! --journal Prints the contents of the journal. --show-path-inodes Show the inode of each directory component in paths. Filters: --group gid Only show/process files owned by process group gid. --directory Only show/process process directory inodes. --after dtime Only show/process entries deleted on or after dtime. --before dtime Only show/process entries deleted before dtime. --deleted Only show/process deleted entries. --allocated Only show/process allocated inodes/blocks. --unallocated Only show/process unallocated inodes/blocks. --reallocated Do not suppress entries with reallocated inodes. Inodes are considered 'reallocated' if the entry is deleted but the inode is allo- cated, but also when the file type in the dir entry and the inode are different. --zeroed-inodes Do not suppress entries with zeroed inodes. Linked entries are always shown, regardless of this option. --depth depth Process directories recursively up till a depth of 'depth'. Actions: --inode-to-block inode_num Print the block that contains inode inode_num. --inode inode_num Show info on inode inode_num. If --ls is used and the inode is a directory, then the filters apply to the entries of the directory. If you do not use --ls then --print is implied. --block block_num Show info on block block_num. If --ls is used and the block is the first block of a directory, then the filters apply to entries of the directory. If you do not use --ls then --print is implied. --histogram=[atime|ctime|mtime|dtime|group] Generate a histogram based on the given specs. Using atime, ctime or mtime will change the meaning of --after and --before to those times. --journal-block block_num Show info on journal block block_num. --journal-transaction seq Show info on transaction with sequence number seq. --dump-names Write the paths of files to stdout. This implies --ls but suppresses its output. --search-start str Find blocks that start with the fixed string str. --search str Find blocks that contain the fixed string str. --search-inode block_num Find inodes that refer to block block_num. --search-zeroed-inodes Return allocated inode table entries that are zeroed. --inode-dirblock-table dir Print a table for directory path dir of directory block numbers found and the inodes used for each file. --show-journal-inodes inode_num Show copies of inode inode_num still in the journal. --restore-file path Will restore file path. path is relative to root of the partition and does not start with a '/' (it must be one of the paths returned by --dump-names). The restored directory, file or symbolic link is created in the current directory as ./path. --restore-all As --restore-file but attempts to restore everything. The use of --after is highly recommended because the attempt to restore very old files will only result in them being hard linked to a more recently deleted file and as such pollute the output. --show-hardlinks Show all inodes that are shared by two or more files. --version, -[vV] Prints the version information and exits. --help, Prints a help message and exits. EXAMPLES
Restoring all files from the ext3 partition/file /backup/sda1: ext3grep --restore-all /backup/sda1 Listing the files owned by GID 1000 on /backup/sda1: ext3grep --ls --group 1000 /backup/sda1 Finding all files containing the string Critical_report in their name on /backup/sda1: ext3grep --dump-names /backup/sda1 | grep 'Critical_report' LIMITATIONS
Do not attempt to use ext3grep for recovery from a mounted filesystem. Ever. No, not even then. ext3grep sometimes runs out of memory spare on 32-bit architectures and crashes. It is highly recommended that you run ext3grep in a 64-bit environment when dealing with large filesystems, though this is seen as a bug. ext3grep cannot recover files if there are no remnants of them. Some files that ext3grep recovers may have trailing null bytes - just scrape them off like the burnt bits on toast. SEE ALSO
debugfs(8) AUTHOR
ext3grep was written by Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>. This manual page was written by Rich Ercolani <rercola@acm.jhu.edu>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). It may be distrib- uted under the same terms as ext3grep, the GNU General Public License, either version 2 or (at your option) any later version. 0.8.0 2008-09-14 EXT3GREP(8)