Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy from/to file, if arg 'ok' Post 302894493 by klskl on Tuesday 25th of March 2014 05:25:28 PM
Old 03-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea
What have you done so far?
Well, I have learned how to copy from one file to another, but I'd like to know how to add a field in the new file, depending on what the user enters. I understand I might jump into things alittle fast.. :/ so if you have tips on tutorials that be great

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert the 1st arg into the middle of the file

I wrote a script like #!/bin/bash echo $1 > temp cat $2 >> temp mv temp $2 now I have problem appending the above script(only using bash shell) so that it now inserts the first argument into the middle of the file. I have tried using $(('wc -l < file' / 2 )) but invain so could any one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: boris
4 Replies

2. AIX

file system space arg !!! and confused

Aix 5.2 on a P510 RS6000 My /usr filesystem is sized at 3.8 gb. Check me if I'm wrong here but this should be enough space for /usr? When I installed the o/s I just followed the defaults, didn't add any 3rd party apps, least that I know of. My problem is that it's running at 90% capacity. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Westy564
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

arg list too long

Hi, Help. I have a file that contains a list of users in a file. I want to cat the content of the file and feed it into sed to a preformated report. The error I got is "ksh: /usr/bin/sed: arg list too long" My method below. A=`cat FILE1.txt` B=`echo $A` sed "s#USERLIST#$B#" FILE2 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zenwork
2 Replies

4. Programming

warning: int format,pid_t arg (arg 2)

I try following code under Solaris10,like follows: int glob = 6; int main(void) { int var; pid_t pid; var = 88; printf("before vfork\n"); if ((pid = vfork()) < 0) { err_sys("vfork error"); } else if (pid == 0) { glob++; var++; _exit(0); } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Space in a arg

Hi, When i am running a script it considers the below as mulitple arguments. There is any command which can ignore the spaces. I tried by using sed like below to ignore but it doesnt work. sed 's/ /\\ /g'100% Haddock Fillets Battered 500G-small.gif ~vino (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arg list too long

Hello All, I am trying to find a file name with .sh exention from a list of .dat files inside a directory. find /app/folder1/* -name '*.dat'| xargs grep '.sh' ksh: /usr/local/bin/find: arg list too long Please help me finding the command. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkhan9
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass command line arg to sql file

Hi all, How to pass the command line argument to a sql file Script: #!/bin/ksh if ] ; then test.sql fi My Sql Informix DB: echo "select * from table where col1 = 2234 and col2 = '$3'"|dbaccess ddname But im getting `:' unexpected error (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
5 Replies
trap(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)