Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Legal and illegal bash variable names? Post 302894487 by vbe on Tuesday 25th of March 2014 04:51:43 PM
Old 03-25-2014
Apologies, I thought I saw the post in dummies...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable names

Hi I have several variables called var1, var2, var3, var4 and so on. I would like to examine the contents of the variables using a loop and a variable called num which equals a figure eg num=3 I wanted to do something like echo $var$num to display the contents of var3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable names

Hi, I have a variable v_iteration which can equal any 3 digit number eg 001 or 926 I would like to dynamically make a new variable name up using this 3 digit number eg v_another_variable_001=fred v_another_variable_926=joe The following are examples of what I have tried ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable Names With Numbers

Hi Everyone, I was just curious if you are allowed to begin a variable name with a number. For example, I would really like to have the variable 8DAY_AVERAGE. But my shell script only seems to allow EIGHTDAY_AVERAGE. Is there a way I can get the former to work? I am using bash. Thanks a lot! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Incrementing Variable Names

Hi, I am using BASH. I have encountered a situation where the following is necessary (but I am not sure how to do it): #Define multiple arrays, whose names only differ by a number: ARRAY_1=(1 2 3) ARRAY_2=(4 5 6) ARRAY_3=(7 8 9) #Define ARRAY_AMOUNT, the number of arrays. In this case... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msb65
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash adding multiple names

Hi all, I make this bash script in which there is one option to add a name in txt file. So when I run the script it ask me for the name. When i enter the name, that name gets added in a txt file. If i add the same name again, the message comes up, the name is already there My question is..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script help Undefined /illegal variable using cat

Hello group, Still fairly new at the whole scripting thing so be gentle. I'm trying to write a simple script that archives my log files into a master log broken into weeks of the year. My script runs fine up till the "cat" lines which I get a undefined or illegal variable name error. But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpreviti
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[CSH]legal to declare a variable like this

I am trying to declare a variable like this #!/bin/csh -f set c_arg = $a $b $c However, since i need it to declare before declaring $a ,$b or $c. As of now i am getting an error which says $a not defined. Is it possible to define a variable c_arg w/o interpreting the values $a $b $c (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Indexing Variable Names

Hi All I think I might have bitten off more than I can chew here and I'm hoping some of you guys with advanced pattern matching skills can help me. What I want to do is index the occurrence of variable names within a library of scripts that I have. Don't ask why, I'm just sad like that... ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbq
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matching file in bash with variable file names but consisent prefixs

As part of a bash the below line strips off a numerical prefix from directory 1 to search for in directory 2. for file in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/comparison/missing/*.txt do file1=${file##*/} # Strip off directory getprefix=${file1%%_*.txt} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
post(3FORM)															       post(3FORM)

NAME
post - write or erase forms from associated subwindows SYNOPSIS
#include <form.h> int post_form(FORM *form); int unpost_form(FORM *form); DESCRIPTION
The function post_form displays a form to its associated subwindow. To trigger physical display of the subwindow, use refresh or some equivalent curses routine (the implicit doupdate triggered by an curses input request will do). The function unpost_form erases form from its associated subwindow. RETURN VALUE
These routines return one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. E_BAD_STATE Routine was called from an initialization or termination function. E_NOT_POSTED The form has not been posted. E_NOT_CONNECTED No items are connected to the form. E_NO_ROOM Form is too large for its window. E_POSTED The form has already been posted. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), form(3FORM). NOTES
The header file <form.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V forms library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. post(3FORM)