Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to split a file with delimited string? Post 302894335 by sea on Monday 24th of March 2014 11:54:37 PM
Old 03-25-2014
You could do a while read line, checking if line starts with 'As of'.
If so, write tempvar to file, otherwise fill tempvar.

eg:
Code:
VAR=""
while read line;do
[ "As of" = "${line:0:5}" ] && \
	printf "$VAR" > "$line.txt" && \
	VAR="" || \
	VAR="$VAR\n$line"
done<file.txt

This would produce files named: "As of 2013.txt" "As of 2014.txt" "As of 2016.txt", containing the lines above them from file.txt.

Last edited by sea; 03-25-2014 at 01:01 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fast way to split a tab delimited file

I have searched the forum and tried different options. One of the options work but is very slow. The file has millions and millions of records. It is a TAB delimited file which contains two types of records. Metadata and Detail records. M PARTNER 8 LAST_BOOKED_DATE D YYYYMMDD ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To split a string to obtain the words delimited by whitespaces

Please can someone thow some light what is the best way to split a string to obtain the words delimited by whitespaces. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split pipe delimited file

I have a pipe delimited input file as below. First byte of the each line indicate the record type. Then i need to split the file based on record_type = null,0,1,2,6 and create 5 files. How do i do this in a ksh script? Pls help |sl||SL|SL|SL|1996/04/03|1988/09/15|C|A|sl||||*|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: njgirl
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace string only in a particular column in a delimited file

I have file with multiple columns. Column values for a record may be same. Now i have to replace a column value(this can be same for the other columns) with new value. File.txt A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D,A,B,C,D... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksailesh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk search for string pattern in delimited file

I've got a semicolon delimited file. I would like to search for fields that match a pattern, and not hardcoded eg "mth". *th=something If the delimited field fulfills this condition, eg. mth=value I would like to print out both key and value for some number comparison. eg. if value > "12"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alienated
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to print the column that contains a string in delimited file in unix

Hi Team, I have a requirement to print the column or find the column number of a particular string in delimited (;) file. Ex: aaa;bbb;ccc;rrr;mmm; gggg;rrr;mmmm;ssss;eee;aaa; ccc;gggg;tttt;bbbb;dddd;ggggg;rrr; my file contains 1000+ rows like above example with semicolon... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baskivs
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a non delimited file into columns depending on user input

I would like some advice on some code. I want to write a small script that will take an input file of this format 111222233334444555666661112222AAAA 2222333445556612323244455445454545 2334556345643534505435345353453453 (and so on) It will be called as : script inputfile X (where X is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyforbopi
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a content in a file with specific interval base on the delimited values using UNIX command

Hi All, we have a requirement to split a content in a text file every 5 rows and write in a new file . conditions: if 5th line falls between center of the statement . it should look upto after ";" files are below format: 1 UPDATE TABLE TEST1 SET VALUE ='AFDASDFAS' 2 WHERE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KK230689
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command to split pipe delimited file

Hello, I need to split a pipe de-limited file based on the COLUMN 7 value . If the column value changes I need to split the file Source File Payment|ID|DATE|TIME|CONTROLNUMBER|NUMBER|NAME|INDICATOR 42156974|1137937|10/1/2018|104440|4232|2054391|CARE|1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
9 Replies
UPSLOG(8)							    NUT Manual								 UPSLOG(8)

NAME
upslog - UPS status logger SYNOPSIS
upslog -h upslog [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
upslog is a daemon that will poll a UPS at periodic intervals, fetch the variables that interest you, format them, and write them to a file. The default format string includes variables that are supported by many common UPS models. See the description below to make your own. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -f format Monitor the UPS using this format string. Be sure to enclose format in quotes so your shell doesn't split it up. Valid escapes within this string are: %% Insert a single "%" %TIME format% Insert the time with strftime formatting %ETIME% Insert the number of seconds, ala time_t. This is now a 10 digit number. %HOST% insert the local hostname %UPSHOST% insert the host of the UPS being monitored %PID% insert the pid of upslog %VAR varname% insert the value of variable varname The default format string is: %TIME @Y@m@d @H@M@S% %VAR battery.charge% %VAR input.voltage% %VAR ups.load% [%VAR ups.status%] %VAR ups.temperature% %VAR input.frequency% -i interval Wait this many seconds between polls. This defaults to 30 seconds. If you require tighter timing, you should write your own logger using the upsclient(3) library. -l logfile Store the results in this file. You can use "-" for stdout, but upslog will remain in the foreground. -s ups Monitor this UPS. The format for this option is upsname[@hostname[:port]]. The default hostname is "localhost". -u username If started as root, upsmon will setuid(2) to the user id associated with username for security. If username is not defined, it will use the value that was compiled into the program. This defaults to "nobody", which is less than ideal. SERVICE DELAYS
The interval value is merely the number given to sleep(3) after running through the format string. Therefore, a query will actually take slightly longer than the interval, depending on the speed of your system. LOG ROTATION
upslog writes its PID to upslog.pid, and will reopen the log file if you send it a SIGHUP. This allows it to keep running when the log is rotated by an external program. SEE ALSO
Server: upsd(8) Clients: upsc(8), upscmd(8), upsrw(8), upsmon(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.networkupstools.org/ Network UPS Tools 05/21/2012 UPSLOG(8)