Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions UNIX script coding HW question Post 302894323 by renegade755 on Monday 24th of March 2014 09:24:18 PM
Old 03-24-2014
UNIX script coding HW question

i am trying to write a script code in unix that will:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
display following menu to user:
(A) Add
(B) Subtract
(C) Multiply
(D) Divide
(E) Modulus
(F) Exponentiation
(G) Exit
Then ask user for choice (A-F). After taking users choice ask user for two numbers and
perform chosen operation on those two numbers. The program should keep asking
for choice / numbers unless user chooses ‘G’ for exit.

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):

i tried everything to write this code i couldnt

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number
school name: Senaca college, Toronto, Canada, Name of Professor: peter wheeler, and Course Number: Tech 154

Last edited by vbe; 03-25-2014 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: added template...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Coding Standards

Hi, I am looking for some coding standards for Unix Shell Scripting. Can anyone help me out in this? Regards, Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu_s
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Coding question for any experts out there

Given this one long stream of data (all one line): <TransactionDetail><TransactionHeader><ErrorLogging>YES</ErrorLogging><HistoryLogging>YES</HistoryLogging><ErrorDetection>NO</ErrorD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding Standard For Unix Shell Scripting!!!

Is there any site on Coding Standard for Shell Scripting in UNIX. Please help me know!!!!! Thanks Om (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix coding tip required

Hi! Suppose I am at a location xyz:/abc1/abc2/abc3 Is it possible to move to another location xyz:/mnl1/mnl2/mnl3 by some coding within a script? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Getting Started in UNIX - incorporating C coding

I'm just starting a 'serious' coding in UNIX, so what I need is to run a C code on UNIX, What do I have to install (app) prior to coding/running the code and how do I compile that code? can I write my c code in UNIX or I need to have a visual studio for this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peevish
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix coding for triggering informatica

Hi, I have very little knowledge with unix and pmcmd. I need help with a issue. I have to see whether a file has been dropped in a particular location/path. If the file dropped I have to check the last modified time, which should be greater than 8pmEST the prior day. If the file has been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redwolves
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell script coding

I have a file f1.txt that contains string: f1.txt aaa bbb ccc ... I want to write code to search that each string in file f2.txt(this file contains 1000+line codes). file f2.txt .. .. ....aaa...xyz.. ... ... ...ppp... (dots . can be characters ot blank spaces) If particular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanchit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script coding help?

Unix script coding help? i am trying to write a code that will display following menu to user: (A) Add (B) Subtract (C) Multiply (D) Divide (E) Modulus (F) Exponentiation (G) Exit Then ask user for choice (A-F). After taking users choice ask user for two numbers and perform... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with understand shell script coding

Good afternoon everyone, I am very new to UNIX shell scripting and I am trying to understand the following code. I know what it does but I need to modify it so it will allow me to pass a file name as *FILENAME* Thank for any guidance offered. if ] ; then match=`expr "$file" :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Walter Barona
2 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Coding Style at UNIX.com forums

Hi, as I mentioned in this thread(https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/280737-awk-function-return-permutations-n-items-out-m.html), a helpful coding style may improve overall value and support for people who come here and want to learn things the participants from unix.com have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
2 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.11 30 Jan 2004 script(1)