Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Learning regular expressions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Learning regular expressions Post 302894202 by Ditto on Monday 24th of March 2014 10:44:50 AM
Old 03-24-2014
Learning regular expressions

Hey, trying to learn more tricks with regular expressions, and got this one.

Best I could come up with for this problem is a "two-stepper" :

Code:
egrep -i "[a-zA-Z0-9]@[a-zA-Z0-9]" test.txt | egrep -v "@[a-zA-Z0-9]*.com"

Which does bring back the proper results. I'm interested, however, if this can be done with a single reg exp ?

Test file is:

Code:
quick brown fox@gmail.com jumped over
quick brown fox@il.com jumped over
lazy dog@over the hill
lazy dog@mail the hill
jack and @jill
ignore this line

Expected return is:

Code:
lazy dog@over the hill
lazy dog@mail the hill

Basically:
@xxx.com is an email, ignore it.
<space>@xxx isn't a pattern I want, ignore it.
no @ in line - don't want it, ignore it.

<string>@<string> is what I'm looking for - but not ending in .com.
(I just look for single character before and after, that way I know it has to be upper/lower case, or number only. No need to look for _, or other special characters.

In short: I'm searching for Oracle DB Links, but don't want email addresses, or SQL script calls.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

I'm trying to parse RichText to XML. I want to be able to capture everything between the '/par' tag in the RTF but not include the tag itself. So far all I have is this, '.*?\\par' but it leaves '\par' at the end of it. Any suggestions? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AresMedia
1 Replies

2. Programming

regular expressions in c++

How do I use the regular expressions in c++? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: szzz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

Hi Gurus, I need help with regular expressions. I want to create a regular expression which will take only alpha-numeric characters for 7 characters long and will throw out an error if longer than that. i tried various combinations but couldn't get it, please help me how to get it guys. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expressions

Hello, Let say I have a string with content "Free 100%". How can extract only "100" using ksh? I would this machanism to work if instead of "100" there is any kind of combination of numbers(ex. "32", "1238", "1"). I want to get only the digits. I have written something like this: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatever
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with Regular Expressions

Hi, In ksh, I am trying to compare folder names having -141- in it's name. e.g.: 4567-141-8098 should match this expression '*-141-*' but, -141-2354 should fail when compared with '*-141-*' simlarly, abc should fail when compared with '*-141-*' I tried multiple things but nevertheless,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jidsh
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regular expressions

I have a flat file with the following drug names Nutropin AQ 20mg PEN Cart 2ml Norditropin Cart 15mg/1.5ml I have to extract digits that are before mg i.e 20 and 15 ; how to do this using regular expressions Thanks ram (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramky79
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expressions help

need a regex that matches when a number has a zero (0) at the end of it so like 10 20 120 30 330 1000 and so on (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with regular expressions

I have a file that I'm trying to find all the cases of phone number extensions and deleting them. So input file looks like: abc x93825 def 13234 x52673 hello output looks like: abc def 13234 hello Basically delete lines that have 5 numbers following "x". I tried: x\(4) but it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxalpine
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

I am new to shell scripts.Can u please help me on this req. test_user = "Arun" if echo "test_user is a word" else echo "test_user is not a word" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrababu
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expressions

Hi Ilove unix and alwyas trying to to learn unix,but i am weak in using regular expressions.can you please give me a littel brief discription that how can i understand them and how to use .your response could lead a great hand in my unix love. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj attri
1 Replies
linsert(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						       linsert(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
linsert - Insert elements into a list SYNOPSIS
linsert list index element ?element element ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command produces a new list from list by inserting all of the element arguments just before the index'th element of list. Each ele- ment argument will become a separate element of the new list. If index is less than or equal to zero, then the new elements are inserted at the beginning of the list. If index has the value end, or if it is greater than or equal to the number of elements in the list, then the new elements are appended to the list. end-integer refers to the last element in the list minus the specified integer offset. EXAMPLE
Putting some values into a list, first indexing from the start and then indexing from the end, and then chaining them together: set oldList {the fox jumps over the dog} set midList [linsert $oldList 1 quick] set newList [linsert $midList end-1 lazy] # The old lists still exist though... set newerList [linsert [linsert $oldList end-1 quick] 1 lazy] SEE ALSO
list(1T), lappend(1T), lindex(1T), llength(1T), lsearch(1T), lset(1T), lsort(1T), lrange(1T), lreplace(1T) | KEYWORDS
element, insert, list ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 8.2 linsert(1T)