Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to replace a whitespace with line break? Post 302894051 by fpmurphy on Sunday 23rd of March 2014 11:38:51 AM
Old 03-23-2014
Technically, whitespace is more than just the space character. It includes a blank space, form feed, vertical and horizontal tabs and newline.

Code:
tr '[:space:]' '\n' < file

This User Gave Thanks to fpmurphy For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert line break + string in vi (search & replace )

Hello all i have big test file that has allot of structure text something like this : <foo1 *.html> <blah action> somthing 1 somthing 2 </blah> </foo1 > now i will like to insert 2 more lines of text below the <blah action> so it will be like : <foo1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim whitespace and add line break

All, I'm a newbie at shell scripting and regular expressions and I just need to take a file that's arranged like the one below, remove all leading and trailing whitespace and add a line break after each word. I've been able to remove a few spaces using various awk, sed and Perl scripts, but... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moose1
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

use sed to replace whitespace with a carriage return

Greetings I need to replace "whitespace" in a file with the newline character aka carriage return My command is either wrong or not interpreted properly by me shell sed s/" "/\\n" "/g nets > nets1 or sed s/" "/\n" "/g nets > nets1 nets (input file) 13MHZ_IN... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to match (whitespace digits whitespace) sequence?

Hi Following is an example line. echo "192.22.22.22 \"33dffwef\" 200 300 dsdsd" | sed "s:\(\ *\ \):\1:" I want it's output to be 200 However this is not the case. Can you tell me how to do it? I don't want to use AWK for this. Secondly, how can i fetch just 300? Should I use "\2"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahanali
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH: Break line, read, break again, read again...

...when the lines use both a colon and commas to separate the parts you want read as information. The first version of this script used cut and other non-Bash-builtins, frequently, which made it nice and zippy with little more than average processor load in GNOME Terminal but, predictably, slow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add line break for each line in a file

I cannot seem to get this to work.. I have a file which has about 100 lines, and there is no end of line (line break \n) at the end of each line, and this is causing problem when i paste them into an application. the file looks like this this is a test that is a test balblblablblhblbha... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fedora
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete trailing whitespace from end of each line in column 1 only

Hi All. How can I convert this: ABC_1_1 ABC_1_2 ABC_1_3 into this: ABC_1 1 ABC_1 2 ABC_1 3 I tried this command but it is not working: awk '{sub(/+$/,"\t", $1)}{print}' Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you :wall: Please use code tags when posting data and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danieladna
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert whitespace (tab) at start of each line

Hi all, I have this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info BDT001.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 1 , 12 ) BDT003.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT007.4 ( 1 , 1 ) ( 12 , 12 ) BDT009.4 ( 1 , 32 ) ( 12 , 22 ) etc, etc And need this: begin data; dimensions nind=168 nloci=6; info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MDeBiasse
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to break the line to the one above?

Hello everyone! I'm trying to make the below file1 look like file2, can anyone help? Basically I just hit backspace on every line that starts with a number. Thanks! file1: THIS#IS-IT1 4 THIS#IS-IT2 3 THIS#IS-IT3 2 THIS#IS-IT4 1 Result > file2: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed to repeat every character on same position from the upper line replacing whitespace

Hello is it possible with awk or sed to replace any white space with the previous line characters in the same position? I am asking this because the file I have doesn't always follow a pattern. For example the file I have is the result of a command to obtain windows ACLs: icacls C:\ /t... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies
TR(1)								   User Commands							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate or delete characters SYNOPSIS
tr [OPTION]... SET1 [SET2] DESCRIPTION
Translate, squeeze, and/or delete characters from standard input, writing to standard output. -c, -C, --complement use the complement of SET1 -d, --delete delete characters in SET1, do not translate -s, --squeeze-repeats replace each sequence of a repeated character that is listed in the last specified SET, with a single occurrence of that character -t, --truncate-set1 first truncate SET1 to length of SET2 --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SETs are specified as strings of characters. Most represent themselves. Interpreted sequences are: NNN character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 octal digits) \ backslash a audible BEL  backspace f form feed new line return horizontal tab v vertical tab CHAR1-CHAR2 all characters from CHAR1 to CHAR2 in ascending order [CHAR*] in SET2, copies of CHAR until length of SET1 [CHAR*REPEAT] REPEAT copies of CHAR, REPEAT octal if starting with 0 [:alnum:] all letters and digits [:alpha:] all letters [:blank:] all horizontal whitespace [:cntrl:] all control characters [:digit:] all digits [:graph:] all printable characters, not including space [:lower:] all lower case letters [:print:] all printable characters, including space [:punct:] all punctuation characters [:space:] all horizontal or vertical whitespace [:upper:] all upper case letters [:xdigit:] all hexadecimal digits [=CHAR=] all characters which are equivalent to CHAR Translation occurs if -d is not given and both SET1 and SET2 appear. -t may be used only when translating. SET2 is extended to length of SET1 by repeating its last character as necessary. Excess characters of SET2 are ignored. Only [:lower:] and [:upper:] are guaranteed to expand in ascending order; used in SET2 while translating, they may only be used in pairs to specify case conversion. -s uses the last specified SET, and occurs after translation or deletion. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report tr translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/tr> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) tr invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TR(1)