Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting ls content into a file using variable Post 302894043 by chinababy on Sunday 23rd of March 2014 09:46:14 AM
Old 03-23-2014
write the same command but include $PWD in it

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign the content of a file to a variable?

Hi all, I have a problem here. I have a file and let we take the content of the file is just '32' (only a numeric value in that file). Now I need to assign this numeric value ( value in that file) to a variable. Is that possible? If so, can you plz advice me on this? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get content of a variable into text file (sed)?

Hello, Im working on this problem for 3 days now and i just cant get it to work.. I tried with alot of different sed methods but didnt find any solution. Its proberly verry simple but i just started bash scripting for a month or so.. i have a file called: file.nfo and file.txt the content... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atmosroll
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put content of file into a variable?

For example, I have a simple text file note: this a note a simple note a very very simple notewhen I use this command, temp=$(cat "note.txt")then I echo temp, the result is in one line. echo $temp note: this a note a simple note a very very simple noteMy variable doesn't have newline. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

7. Programming

PASSING PART OF FILE CONTENT TO VARIABLE

All, I have a log file containing lots of data now i want to extract all text between block below(names) without the title or end pattern but only names, ++++START++++ SCOTT TIGER HENRY PAUL JARED OTIENO OMOLLO JA NIGERIA ++++END++++ the names i want to return and store in a variable in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scott2000
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable resolution in File content

I have a file File1 containing lines like below apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color banana ${FRUIT}-Color Now, in my shell I'm reading the file like below while read FRUIT DESC; do echo $FRUIT $DESC; done < File1 which outputs - apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble reading content of file from a variable

Hi , i have a parameter which has path of a file. Now i need to have another parameter with the content of that file. I tried the belwo script , can any one please help. I dont want to use cat command to read. Can we do it with out using cat command. while read line do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of variable by their content in a file

Dear all, I have a "SQL request" in a file: that request include different "host variable" and I would like to substitute the different "host variable" by their respective content before executing the request. For example: $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ cat dae2.txt DELETE FROM ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
11 Replies
PWD(1)								   User Commands							    PWD(1)

NAME
pwd - print name of current/working directory SYNOPSIS
pwd [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Print the full filename of the current working directory. -L, --logical use PWD from environment, even if it contains symlinks -P, --physical avoid all symlinks --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit NOTE: your shell may have its own version of pwd, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report pwd bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report pwd translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
getcwd(3) The full documentation for pwd is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and pwd programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'pwd invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 PWD(1)