Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Piping through grep/awk prevents file write Post 302893937 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 22nd of March 2014 03:14:08 AM
Old 03-22-2014
If there are no command line options available with your particular awk or grep, you could use:
Code:
iotop -o -P -k -bt -d 5 |
while IFS= read -r line
do
  case $line in 
    (*rsyslogd*) printf "%s\n" "$line"
  esac
done >> /var/log/rsyslogd

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping GREP

Hi, I need to use a double grep so to speak. I need to grep for a particular item say BOB and then for each successful result I need to grep for another item say SMITH. I tried grep "BOB" filename | grep "SMITH" but it does not seem to work. I can achieve my desired result using an... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piping tail to awk to parse a log file

Hello all, I've got what I'm pretty sure is a simple problem, but I just can't seem to work past it. I'm trying to use awk to pretty up a log file, and calculate a percentage. The log file looks like this: # tail strtovrUsage 20090531-18:15:45 RSreq - 24, RSsuc - 24, RSrun - 78, RSerr -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep a pattern and replace a value in it and write to the same file.

I have some complication with this, I have a file like below for DEV_1 till DEV_10. and the db values are set accordinly which are not unique. For example DEV1,DEV4,DEV6 can have the same target DB name. I waned to identify for DEV_2 and then replace the TARGET_DATABASE value with the new DB... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesmani
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & grep - check for a value and write sub-word

Hi people, I have a file status.txt: Following 6 ports are totally or partially unavailable: ------------------------------------------------------------ MOD LINK PORTNAMES STAT1 STAT2 STAT3 SYN TYPE ------------------------------------------------------------ 8 Pr37 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Write to file using tail -f through a pipe to grep

Hi -- I'm looking to write to a file after piping output from tail -f through to grep: #write to a file for all lines with "searchtext" within in error_log: Expand|Select|Wrap|Line Numbers tail -f /var/error_log | grep searchtext > output.txt The above command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndedhia1
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frymor
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Piping with grep

Hi everybody, I have a big file with blast results (if you know what this means, otherwise look at it just as a text file with a specific form). I am trying to extract some ids from within this file, which have certain parameters. For example, some Of my IDs have the term 'No hit results'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frymor
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

piping from grep to awk without intermediate files

I am trying to extract the file names alone, for example "TVLI_STATS_NRT_XLSTWS03_20120215_132629.csv", from below output which was given by the grep. sam:/data/log: grep "C10_Subscribe.000|subscribe|newfile|" PDEWG511_TVLI_JOB_STATS.ksh.201202* Output: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siteregsam
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Piping grep into awk, read the next line using grep

Hi, I have a number of files containing the information below. """"" Fundallinfo 6.3950 14.9715 14.0482 """"" I would like to grep for Fundallinfo and use it to read the next line? I ideally would like to read the three numbers that follow in the next line and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Moghadam
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Piping to grep with pbpaste

cat file 1 aaa 2 bbb 3 ccc 4 ddd In TextEdit, I then copy the characters “ccc” to the clipboard. The problem is that the following command gives no output: bash-3.2$ pbpaste | grep - file Desired output: 3 ccc What should the syntax be for that command? I am using MacOS El... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
3 Replies
SYSLOG(8)							  System Logging							 SYSLOG(8)

NAME
syslog-ng, syslogd DESCRIPTION
There are different syslog daemon implementations supported as the system's syslog service, currently syslogd, syslog-ng and rsyslogd The first installed daemon activates itself for the syslog service. Starting with openSUSE-11.2, it is rsyslogd, before it was syslog-ng. But this depends on the software selection during the installation. The name of the daemon used as syslog service is specified in the SYSLOG_DAEMON variable in /etc/sysconfig/syslog. The yast2 sysconfig module provides a comfortable way to switch to another installed daemon and restart the service. The /etc/init.d/syslog init script is able to handle all supported daemons. BUGS
Please report bugs at <http://www.suse.de/feedback> AUTHOR
Juergen Weigert <jw@novell.com> Marius Tomaschewski <mt@novell.com> SEE ALSO
sysklogd(8) syslogd(8) syslog.conf(5) syslog-ng(8) syslog-ng.conf(5) rsyslogd(8) rsyslog.conf(5) syslog May 2008 SYSLOG(8)