Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with getuid
Top Forums Programming Help with getuid Post 302893893 by rm-r on Friday 21st of March 2014 01:33:08 PM
Old 03-21-2014
Thank you Cororona688. I tried compiling your code snipit but I get errors. My C compiler (ie: I'm running HP-UX) is probably incompatible.

How about this:
- I know the Unix command to obtain a user's internal userid on HP-UX is: id -u <userid> . This command returns an integer representing the internal userid.
- I know the C system() function allows running OS commands.
- I don't know how to run the system() function and save the output in a variable. I wish I could just do this: UserId = system("id -u jsmith");
- Can someone show me the correct C syntax for storing the output of this Unix command into a variable in my C program?
Thanks

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Programming

how to write a wrapper c code to return uid using getuid() function

And how to use setuid() ? thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pwd
4 Replies
GETUID(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 GETUID(2)

NAME
getuid, geteuid -- get user identification LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> #include <sys/types.h> uid_t getuid(void); uid_t geteuid(void); DESCRIPTION
The getuid() system call returns the real user ID of the calling process. The geteuid() system call returns the effective user ID of the calling process. The real user ID is that of the user who has invoked the program. As the effective user ID gives the process additional permissions during execution of ``set-user-ID'' mode processes, getuid() is used to determine the real-user-id of the calling process. ERRORS
The getuid() and geteuid() system calls are always successful, and no return value is reserved to indicate an error. SEE ALSO
getgid(2), issetugid(2), setgid(2), setreuid(2), setuid(2) STANDARDS
The geteuid() and getuid() system calls are expected to conform to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The getuid() and geteuid() functions appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 4, 1993 BSD