Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pls help. can't do chown ???? Post 302893840 by samnyc on Friday 21st of March 2014 10:20:46 AM
Old 03-21-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbe
I would like to see a df ( complete ) of the system, what you show us doesnt help know where you are and on what you are trying a chown... but the only probant case I see root not being able to anything would be NFS... (So is sybase a NFS mount ? )
Code:
newd1> df
/                  (rpool/ROOT/solaris10u9):10116867 blocks 10116867 files
/devices           (/devices          ):       0 blocks        0 files
/system/contract   (ctfs              ):       0 blocks 2147483607 files
/proc              (proc              ):       0 blocks    29946 files
/etc/mnttab        (mnttab            ):       0 blocks        0 files
/etc/svc/volatile  (swap              ):35902896 blocks  7151846 files
/system/object     (objfs             ):       0 blocks 2147483437 files
/etc/dfs/sharetab  (sharefs           ):       0 blocks 2147483646 files
/platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1(/platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap2.so.1):10116867 blocks 10116867 files
/platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr.so.1(/platform/sun4u-us3/lib/sparcv9/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap2.so.1):10116867 blocks 10116867 files
/dev/fd            (fd                ):       0 blocks        0 files
/tmp               (swap              ):35902896 blocks  7151846 files
/var/run           (swap              ):35902896 blocks  7151846 files
/ilx               (rpool/ilx         ):189689044 blocks 189689044 files
/rpool             (rpool             ):189689044 blocks 189689044 files
/sybdata           (pool5/sybdata     ):455095694 blocks 455095694 files
/usr/sybase        (pool5/sybase      ): 6605930 blocks  6605930 files
/home              (clnt-corp-p0035:/vol/fnr_tdndev_fridge_snap/home):9135153800 blocks 14242703 files

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Chown problem

I am trying to change ownership of a file that I own by using the following command: chown norfoklm norfolk norfoklm is the user I am trying to change it to and norfolk is the name of the directory The error I keep getting is: chown: norfolk: Not owner This is on a SUN unix box if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonydsam
3 Replies

2. AIX

chown

hello chown not change ownership before: 205:system ~kuku chown kuku:system ~kuku after no change 205:system ~kuku aix box can someone help me? ariec (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ariec
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Chgrp and Chown ???

Hi Can anybody please let me know the usage of Chgrp command with an example??? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reg chown

hi i wrote a script to run 'C' executable which will create a new file, after that util is completed, i have to change the file ownership to some other user. for that i used "chown" for changing the file permission in Korn script :confused:but it is throwing error is "operation... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilayans
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chown

is there a difference in chown on a file or a directory? how do i chown a directory and all the contents? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chown - error

I have a file fin2009_4.txt.gz in the unix ftp server. Owner of the file is: ftpusr. -rw-r--r-- 1 ftpusr sap 0 Feb 19 10:19 fin2009_4.txt.gz When I try to delete this file after copying to my home folder, I am getting the following error. rm: fin2009_4.txt.gz1: override... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sid1982
4 Replies

8. Solaris

chown

Hello My oracledatabase creats some xmlfiles. this files has the owner hugo. now I've a script (how runs als hugo2) and this script will insert this XMLFile into the database. But that doesn't work, because the owner of the files is wrong, and hugo has not the rights to insert this files into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Street
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

chown of a Directory

Hi All, I need your help in changing the owner of a directory. I have a created a direcotry TEST with user "abc"....for the group "ftp". Now i wnated to change the owner of the directory TEST. i used the below command to do so: chown abc:sftp TEST This is giving me an error... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using chown command.

I am working on a test machine. I just discovered that I have misunderstood the way the following command is run. chown -Rv some_user:users /some_folder/*This command do exactly what I want. Change the owner of every things from the named folder and in all child folders. But of course it leave... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
13 Replies
qmail-getpw(8)                                                System Manager's Manual                                               qmail-getpw(8)

NAME
qmail-getpw - give addresses to users SYNOPSIS
qmail-getpw local DESCRIPTION
In qmail, each user controls a vast array of local addresses. qmail-getpw finds the user that controls a particular address, local. It prints six pieces of information, each terminated by NUL: user; uid; gid; homedir; dash; and ext. The user's account name is user; the user's uid and gid in decimal are uid and gid; the user's home directory is homedir; and messages to local will be handled by home- dir/.qmaildashext. In case of trouble, qmail-getpw exits nonzero without printing anything. WARNING: The operating system's getpwnam function, which is at the heart of qmail-getpw, is inherently unreliable: it fails to distinguish between temporary errors and nonexistent users. Future versions of getpwnam should return ETXTBSY to indicate temporary errors and ESRCH to indicate nonexistent users. RULES
qmail-getpw considers an account in /etc/passwd to be a user if (1) the account has a nonzero uid, (2) the account's home directory exists (and is visible to qmail-getpw), and (3) the account owns its home directory. qmail-getpw ignores account names containing uppercase let- ters. qmail-getpw also assumes that all account names are shorter than 32 characters. qmail-getpw gives each user control over the basic user address and all addresses of the form user-anything. When local is user, dash and ext are both empty. When local is user-anything, dash is a hyphen and ext is anything. user may appear in any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters at the front of local. A catch-all user, alias, controls all other addresses. In this case ext is local and dash is a hyphen. You can override all of qmail-getpw's decisions with the qmail-users mechanism, which is reliable, highly configurable, and much faster than qmail-getpw. SEE ALSO
qmail-users(5), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-getpw(8)